Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Typical cost of alteration

Hi ladies---

One of my friends' mom owns a bridal salon and is also a seamstress. She gave me a dress for free(!) and is also offering to do the alteration for free. I've already given her a gift and thank you card for the dress, but I'd like to pay for the alteration as I know they can be expensive. When I asked her about it, she said don't worry about it, but I just feel bad..
So I thought about just making a guess for the fee. All I needed to alter was to tuck in the side and shorten the hem. I understand there are regional differences, but how much would you expect to pay?
Wedding Countdown Ticker LilySlim Weight loss tickers

Re: Typical cost of alteration

• Options
    My alterations are going to be a max. of $275 if I needed everything altered.
    "It's always better when we're together." -Jack Johnson
  • Options
    $400 for a bustle and hem. No other work.
  • Options
    I paid $75 for hem only.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    ugh mine start at $650.
  • Options
    Yowza. Talk about regional variances. $75 in Kentucky and on up to $650 in New York!

OP, that is an amazing gift!!
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_typical-cost-of-alteration?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:f2d87808-7c1d-4b92-bf09-1088768ad2b6Post:44f7781b-9047-472c-a2d6-19b2dabe39bf">Re: Typical cost of alteration</a>:
    [QUOTE]$400 for a bustle and hem. No other work.
    Posted by NYCMercedes[/QUOTE]

<div>wow.  I paid $40 for the same thing in upscale place near Wilmington DE.</div>

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    im from San Diego.. If i need it taken in, its 60, a bustle is 25
  • Options
    I paid $125 for hem, bustle, and getting the sides taken in a bit.
  • Options
    About $500 for changing neckline, taking in, hem, bustle and cups. My dress is a silk chiffon type material with draping and crazy layers -- so definitely time consuming to alter.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    I think mine was around $250 for the hem, bustle and putting in cups.
  • Options
    Mine was about $300 for taking in the bodice (on a beaded gown), hemming, and a bustle. 
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    Mine is beaded and lace, and cost $180. Taken up at the sleeves, brought up the hem, took in the sides a bit, moved the straps on the slip, redarted the bust on the slip. And then the bustle.

I found a highly-reviewed private seamstress on WeddingWire. Glad I did, the salon where I bought the dress had terrible reviews, and started at $300.
  • Options
    Mine is about 350.00 I believe...plus cost of bustling
  • Options
    Hi laides--

I offered to pay my friend's mom, but she refused to take anything. :) But I was going to offer about $200. Anyway, thanks for your comments!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker LilySlim Weight loss tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards