Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Mother in law from hell wants to look like an "angel" for our wedding

I have genuinely one of the most difficult mother in laws I've ever known. We currently raise her youngest son which has caused a lot of turmoil in the family. Until recently she didn't even speak to us, then when the family situation gets worse she decides to try and take control and speak to us. Things have been going fairly well until she decided that even without an invite she was coming to the wedding...Okay this is my future husbands mother so of course she is coming  but now on top of all her extra unpleasantries she's talking about wearing a tight, floor length sequined gown that is IVORY. Now had we chosen light colours like champagne this wouldn't be so bad, but our colours are teal and orange, and on top of that my dress is ivory. We asked for formal attire, but really ivory? This woman has disowned her blood children for not agreeing with her choice of boyfriend, so how do I convince her to not wear white to my wedding without being a bad guy? Or do I just have to live with it?

Re: Mother in law from hell wants to look like an "angel" for our wedding

• Options
    Here's what you do:

A.) Ignore her, focus on wedding planning

B.) On the day of, try reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaally hard not to laugh at all the eyes rolling at her behind her back.
    Don't make me mobilize OffensiveKitten

Anniversary

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_mother-in-law-from-hell-wants-to-look-like-an-angel-for-our-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:f4efd8da-629a-4511-bed7-725503989d94Post:f30e772f-c286-445b-be89-52e81b6a6c5a">Re: Mother in law from hell wants to look like an "angel" for our wedding</a>:
    [QUOTE]My SIL wore a long white gown to my wedding for attention.  The other guests were so appalled; she was told off by H's grandmother and laughed at all night by just about everyone.  She was expecting a reaction from me or H but did not anticipate the onslaught of negative comments from everyone but us. She spent the reception crying in the lavatory. I assume your FMIL will have a similar experience. She is doing it for attention, too.
    Posted by KindaSparkly[/QUOTE]

Wow, you handled that like a pro.  I hope that she learned a lesson!  She really didn't expect to look like an idiot to everyone else?  Lack of foresight on her part . . .

• Options
    She is a guest and gets to wear whatever she wants. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_mother-in-law-from-hell-wants-to-look-like-an-angel-for-our-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:f4efd8da-629a-4511-bed7-725503989d94Post:f394d7e8-04f0-48a8-878d-baefcc39b997">Re: Mother in law from hell wants to look like an "angel" for our wedding</a>:
    [QUOTE]She is a guest and gets to wear whatever she wants. 
    Posted by AddieL73[/QUOTE]

<div>Wasn't it your stepmother or MIL who wore her wedding gown?</div>
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_mother-in-law-from-hell-wants-to-look-like-an-angel-for-our-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:f4efd8da-629a-4511-bed7-725503989d94Post:a2364b5d-a09b-4d72-b009-ea3d3b276f17">Re: Mother in law from hell wants to look like an "angel" for our wedding</a>:
    [QUOTE]Do nothing. She will look like an idiot, everyone will notice, and think what a wonderful, gracious bride you are for putting up with this cretin. People will talk about it for years.  Think about it, and enjoy.
    Posted by RetreadBride[/QUOTE]

This.
  • Options
    AddieCakeAddieCake member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited April 2013
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_mother-in-law-from-hell-wants-to-look-like-an-angel-for-our-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:f4efd8da-629a-4511-bed7-725503989d94Post:bd0935e1-2f72-4829-a6c6-e80c11cf5190">Re: Mother in law from hell wants to look like an "angel" for our wedding</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Mother in law from hell wants to look like an "angel" for our wedding : Wasn't it your stepmother or MIL who wore her wedding gown?
    Posted by artbyallie[/QUOTE]
    My stepmother, yes. I didn't mention it here b/c OP said "If our colors were light, I wouldn't mind" (or something like that). <div>
    </div><div>
    </div>
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    She will look ridiculous. Since you will likely not be able to change her mind, don't even try. Let her look ridiculous and be a gracious bride who enjoys her wedding (and enjoys the eye-rolling your FMIL will receive).
  • Options
    I think she is just trying to get a reaction out of you. Don't Give her one and I bet she won't wear the dress. She just wants to piss you off.
  • Options
    go get you some popcorn cuz its about to be the show of a lifetime.....her dumbass
    ****The Future Mrs. Ikeard**** wedding countdown
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards