Pennsylvania-Pittsburgh
Options

Cheap but Good Photographers

Hi There.  I'm starting the process of looking for photographers for the big day, but have found that they can be soo pricey!  I'm looking to stay under $2000 and would ideally like all day coverage with 2 photographers, rights to print and share the images, a coffee table album & 2 parent albums, & a proof book or CD of proofs.  I realize that this is a lot and definitely would be willing to compromise on some things if I found a good photographer with a good price.  Does anybody have any names of cheap but good photographers????

Re: Cheap but Good Photographers

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I doubt you'll find all of that for under $2000.  I'm curious to see if anyone has suggestions, but I would say that you may not find any.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    www.Skysthelimitphotography.com -  Their package for all day coverage and 2 photographers is a little over your max ($2,300) but you do get a cd with all your pictures and rights to print them. No albums are included, but you can always do what I'm doing and just make them yourself on Snapfish or Shutterfly.

GL!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I don't think you will find that. It has to do with cost of materials.

I got my photography package for basically what it cost the photographer to make the albums. I had 2 photogs, one coffee table album, 2 parent albums, proofs, and a CD with reprint rights. I still paid more than you are willing to pay and that was with a huge discount.

A flush mount coffee table album from a pro can cost $900 with no markup. Add two parent albums for $450 each and you are at your budget already. Don't forget sales tax.

Now factor in the time to shoot, edit, and make such albums, plus the cost of the additional photographer. Plus the cost of the proofs. (There could be as many as 1000 proofs or more).

You can probably get by on under 2k if you:

Eliminate the second photographer,
    Eliminate the parent albums,
    and go down to an 8 or 9 hour package instead of unlimited

You can probably get a basic album, one camera coverage wedding, and all proofs on CD with reprint rights for 2k.

Keep in mind that pro albums are nothing like Shutterfly and Blurb books. (There is nothing wrong with that option; I often use them myself). But a pro album is archival quality and therefore, costs more.

• Options
    gmc22gmc22 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I also think you might have a hard time finding a good photographer w/ a package including all of the things you want for under $2000. All of the one's I looked at here began w/ a basic package starting around $3,500 + (granted I didn't search around too much)

One thing I did find, though, was that my FI and I got our E-Pics in Florida, and all of the photographers in FL were WAY cheaper than they are here... My e-session photographer told us that they travel for weddings, but we had already booked a photographer for our wedding (and to be honest, I didn't even think about the possibility of booking her for the wedding when we booked the e-session) - but I did take a look at her wedding package prices and they were much cheaper than here starting at about $1700 (but then you have to consider their travel exepense etc. - I'm not sure how much they would charge, but it may be worth a look) Just something to consider - if you want her info I'd be glad to give it to you!

GL!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Wow, you really are asking for a lot, for under 2k.

Dino Bovo has an all digitial package, so then you could make your own album.

I used Dana Scheller, and while her prices have gone up, she may be able to work with you on the cost.

I think Photos by Nick has a starting package of $2000....

Dave & Jennifer 10.18.08
    My Doha Adventures
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Photos by Nick! Photos by Nick! Photos by Niiiiiiiiick!
  • Options
    ashleyandcjashleyandcj member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Take a look at isabell photography.  He is under $2000 and you get the following:
    -All day coverage ending at 10pm
    -Unlimited shoot locations
    -A min. of 500 photographs (usually between 800-1200)
    -Complete set of color-corrected professional photos in an album (4x6)
    -5  8x10 or 8x12 retouched images
    -Memory card of all images to reprint
    -Your own password protected website
    Here is the website to take a look at his portfolio.  He quotes at $954 down to hold the date and the $954 due before the wedding.
    http://www.isabellphotography.com/weddings.html?gclid=CMXZiYzh0Z8CFegL5QodU2FaOA
  • Options
    edited December 2011

If you're willing to only have one photog, my photographer offers a package that includes all three books, cd, print rights, proof book, e-pic session, and a print credit all for under 2K. (there might be some other things I'm missing too)
    PM me if you want pricing or any additional info

http://www.ellebee-photography.com/

image.
    BabyName Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Y'all is beeyotches! Photos by Nick starts at $2800 and you don't get shizzle for that.  To get them there albums, you gotta get the seven thousand dollar package.

Giant blobs, underexposures, blurriness, and pink skin tones are no extra charge though. He might charge extra to run dirty brown streaks down your face.

3rd from Bottom

Tell him Jack and Jill sent you. Oh wait, he is on this board, so he already knows.
  • Options
    gbckx3gbckx3 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    i always wanted to  be an overexposed bride.
  • Options
    elishanbelishanb member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Little late on this but I'm pretty excited about the Photog we're using. They aren't located in Pittsburgh, but their travel fees are super low. Also most of their package options are less than 2k. While they don't include alll of the things you are looking for as most of the PPs said it's going to be tought to find You could check them out and see if the less expensive price would be worth losing one or two items off of your wish list. GL!

www.cardensweddingphotography.com
    image.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_pennsylvania-pittsburgh_cheap-but-good-photographers?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:116Discussion:66b27ae2-b34d-43ad-ad65-59c8f9b10479Post:3734951c-b04d-45e4-aaed-5f86e86aac05">Re: Cheap but Good Photographers</a>:
    [QUOTE]i always wanted to  be an overexposed bride.
    Posted by gbckx3[/QUOTE]

Believe me u were.
  • Options
    gbckx3gbckx3 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    oh whew, good!
  • Options
    tkrotztkrotz member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hii,
    Check out Isabell Photography. They are doing my wedding and also did a friend of mine as well. Her pictures were AMAZING.they are based out of uniontown but dont charge for travel. They charge a little over 2000 for 2 photographers plus 800-1200 proofs that you keep, plus a cd with unlimited prints. They also give you a few bigger prints free of charge too. They are definitely worth the look we REALLY liked them when we booked-Good Luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards