Pennsylvania-Pittsburgh
Options

another liscense question...

finances are looking tighter and the idea of more expensive airfare and extra days of car rental needed for the 3 day waiting period are not looking so great. so I was doing more research on how to get a marriage licence in PA and talked to a woman in the Allegheny county office. She pretty much said that there was no waiving the waiting period unless someone was in the military or there was a medical emergency. She did suggest going through a neighboring county. I was wondering if anyone out there had experience with the Westmoreland or Washington county offices? Has anyone successfully gotten a waiver of the waiting period?

Re: another liscense question...

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I got my marriage license in Westmoreland county, but waited the 3 day period. I'm not an expert on this, but I really don't think they'd waiver it just because you can't be in town that long. I'm OOT, and got it mailed to my parents' house in PA since I couldn't personally go pick it up. Can you get it mailed to a relative's house? I'm not sure if they'll mail it to another state...

ETA: I just remembered your other post on this.... so you're talking about getting it right before the wedding, right? If so, then obviously ignore my advice on having it mailed. I'm sorry I don't have any other suggestions...
  • Options
    jrsygrl10jrsygrl10 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    i dont know that you are going to have much success getting it waived. are you so close that you can't wait the 3 days and have it mailed to you or another address?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I don't think you will have any luck getting the waiting period waived except for military, someone was on their death bed, etc.

Cost and airfare really aren't going to be a good excuse, IMO, because so many people are planning from out of town nowadays. We purposely booked our wedding date with my DH's schedule in mind since he lived out of town, as have several of my friends, picking a day that would allow ample time to get to Pittsburgh to get the license. (We picked February and got the license in December, as we knew that's when my DH would be able to come apply).

If it is a big deal, why don't you just get legally married at the courthouse where you live right before coming to the PA wedding, like the day before? People do that if they are getting married in Mexico all the time.

Getting the license shouldn't be a hassle...it's exciting! I know a lot of ladies here were out of town and had FI's out of town and still made it work. You can even fly out and back in one day if you had to. It would be a few hundred bucks and, compared to what it being spent on a wedding, not a great deal of money.

I'd hate for you to rely on getting a waiting period waived. I believe it has to go through a judge. You won't know until you try it, and by then, it will be too late if it is denied.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We got ours 2 months before the wedding-you can do it up to 60 days before.  We had it mailed to my mom's house in Pittsburgh just in case-so it would be there for the wedding regardless.  I doubt they will waive the 3 day waiting period-I know they are pretty strict with that.  Good luck!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    moslimosli member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    its not a matter of picking it up, its a matter of applying in time. we cannot afford to fly in now and apply, fly back to CA, then back to PA in late Sept. So we either have to be there a week earlier or figure something else out.

thanks guys - i'll check my local information. that idea honestly hadn't crossed my mind.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Is your issue just that you're not going to be in Pittsburgh again before the wedding? That was the case for us, but we were in town the week of the wedding so we went and got it then. I hate to say it but I don't think you're going to have any option than to get into a town a few days early.

Vacation

• Options
    edited December 2011
    The only county in PA that does not have a waiting period is Philadelphia County.  If you don't want to fly into Philly, then cross the state, you unfortunately will have to suck it up and fly into PA early for the wedding.  I don't think there's any getting around it.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We applied for ours a few days before the wedding (on Monday, Friday was a holiday) so we had enough time to pick it up...but when the clerk saw it was our wedding week, she "put a rush on it" and it was ready the next day.  My dad picked it up for us since he works downtown.

Not sure that would be the case with everyone and you obviously can't get married without it, but just wanted to share my experience.  
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Happy Birthday, little man. We love you so much!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Search & Win
    My favorite money saving tip: I've earned more than $300 in gift cards (Amazon, Starbucks, Southwest!) using SwagBucks for internet searching - and you can too! It's FREE and EASY!
  • Options
    AJS0401AJS0401 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm in the same position you are.  It's getting to pittsburgh on a weekday to actually apply for the license that is becoming an issue.  It wouldn't be as big of an issue if I hadn't JUST started a new job.  I have to take a week and a half off for the wedding/honeymoon and am honestly scared to ask my boss to let me have another random day off to go up to Pittsburgh to do that..he's going to hate me or maybe tell me not to come back!  They say you can write to ask to have the waiting period waived - I know it's not likely but i figure I'll at least do it, share my story, and see what they say.  If they say no, I'll just have to suck it up and ask my boss...I really just fear for losing my job that I need!
    Ashley & Tommy

October 2, 2010

186image 145image 0image 41image RSVP Date September 1
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards