Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Engagment party invite list

Hi

I recently got engaged and my mom would like to throw us an engagment party. Can we only invite people that we are inviting to the wedding or should it be looked at as a time to celebrate with everyone? We are keeping the wedding smallish and a lot of the people are out of town so I thought it might be nice to celebrate with some local people that we weren't going to invite to the wedding.

Thanks!

Re: Engagment party invite list

• Options
    We are having an engagement party with all our friends and family that want to join us. But we are having a small wedding in Maui with a limited guest list. I have been mentioning that our wedding will be very small and intimate. But we will have a bbq to celebrate our wedding when we get back from Maui. Your friends and family should understand how expensive weddings are and how it's impossible to invite everyone. If they cared, they'd understand. It's your wedding and it's about you and your fiance'.
  • Options
    In Response to Re: Engagment party invite list:
    [QUOTE]We are having an engagement party with all our friends and family that want to join us. But we are having a small wedding in Maui with a limited guest list. I have been mentioning that our wedding will be very small and intimate. But we will have a bbq to celebrate our wedding when we get back from Maui. Your friends and family should understand how expensive weddings are and how it's impossible to invite everyone. If they cared, they'd understand. It's your wedding and it's about you and your fiance'.
    Posted by lauracadieux[/QUOTE]

This is horrible advice.  Of course they care about you, but that doesn't give you a license to be rude.  You can celebrate with whomever you want after the wedding. But, pre-wedding parties (engagement parties, showers, bachelor/bachelorette parties) should ONLY include guests that will actually be invited to the wedding.
  • Options
    In Response to Re:Engagment party invite list:[QUOTE]We are having an engagement party with all our friends and family that want to join us. But we are having a small wedding in Maui with a limited guest list. I have been mentioning that our wedding will be very small and intimate. But we will have a bbq to celebrate our wedding when we get back from Maui. Your friends and family should understand how expensive weddings are and how it's impossible to invite everyone. If they cared, they'd understand. It's your wedding and it's about you and your fiance'. Posted by lauracadieux[/QUOTE] If YOU cared about them, you wouldn't be treating those people in a craptacular manner in the first place.
  • Options
    Nope having a small wedding means having small prewedding parties.
  • Options
    Only people invited to the wedding should be invited to anything pre-wedding.

A group of my friends and I were invited to a Stock the Bar party and realized later that we weren't invited to the wedding. 2+ years later, we still consider her tacky & rude for expecting a gift/celebration without wanting us to be a part of her wedding day.
  • Options
    Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    Anyone invited to a pre- or post-wedding party must also be invited to the wedding.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards