Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

NWR Question About Tipping

I got my hair cut this morning by a different lady than usual (same salon). We were making the usual small chat, and she asks what I do for a living. I tell her I work part-time and am in grad school at _____ University. Now admittedly, this university does have the local reputation of being the rich kid, bratty school.

But her response is (probably slightly paraphrasing), "Oh, you go to ____ University? You must think pretty highly of yourself and your fancy little degree then." Shocked, I think I said "I'm sorry, what?" So she clarifies, "Everyone who goes there is pretty pretentious, and Mommy and Daddy typically just pay out a buttload (yes, she used this word) on demand for them." I retorted that I was paying my own way, working, etc. and the rest of the appointment was pretty quiet.

I was really offended by the whole thing and ended up not leaving a tip since I thought it was so unprofessional (the haircut itself was fine).

Discussing this with a friend over brunch and she's insisting that I still should have tipped something since that's how the stylists make their livelihood, feed their kids, etc. She thinks I should call up the salon and say I forgot to leave a tip and would like to leave one now. What do you all think?

Re: NWR Question About Tipping

• Options
    I wouldn't tip her.  Professionalism is part of what I consider when I leave a tip.  You better believe if someone said something that rude to me, their tip would decrease all the way down to zero.  Being good at what you do is just part of my tipping scale.  If you suck at the rest and put me in a bad mood to top it off, I don't care how great my hair look, I won't be back, and it's doubtful that I would tip.

June 1, 2013 - finally making it official!

• Options
    Pfft! Hell no! i don't care if your mommy and daddy are paying your way through school, that's none of anybody's business.I get that people make a living on their tips. I get that times are rough  - but I wouldn't have tipped either.

In terms of etiquette - even if it was appropriate to tip, I think that given the situation calling back and offering to leave a tip is overkill. I would honestly Yelp about it. That's insane.
  • Options
    This is a hot button with me. Tips are extra. Period. Something given for a job well done and good service. I can't stand when people who suck at their jobs complain about not getting big enough tips. I tip to the service I get, not always X% because that's the norm.

In this case, I wouldn't have left a tip. She was rude and offensive.
  • Options
    CALEOCALEO member
    Name Dropper 5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    No.  A tip is for when you are happy with a service.  Her customer service (part of the hair service) was atrocious.  You are well within your rights not to leave a tip.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Absolutely not. She was not deserving of more of a tip!!

Here's the thing.... I am a Professional Photographer. Ultimately, yes, my job it to take nice photographs of/for my clients. But my customer service and the way I interact to and relate with my clients is also a very important aspect of my job. Berating a client, while also taking good photographs of them is not good enough to earn a tip. 

A tip is given as a sign of appreciation for excellent all around service. It's to thank the waitress for the smile on her face and extra quick service, it's to thank the hair dresser for making you look AND FEEL beautiful, it, it's to the florist to putting a rush on those bouquets and not charging you extra, it's to your photographers for taking awesome photos of your notoriously-hard-to-photograph mother in law. 

In this situation, the hair stylist simply did her job. She did not do anything above an beyond that warranted a generous tip.

IMO--- If you call that salon back to tell them anything... It should be to complain about the verbal abuse that you endured from that stylist that day.

• Options
    buddysmom80buddysmom80 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited May 2013
    I usually only lurk on E but I had to add my .02 to this post.

I was a hairstylist for 10 years, and I am appalled by this stylist's customer service (or lack therof). I worked in a town that contained two universities that were attended by affluent/upper class families. I would NEVER assume that mommy and daddy paid for their education, that was so rude of her.

But, tipping is based on services rendered. I would've tipped her, but not as much as I would my regular stylist because her conversational skills sucked.  I wouldn't call the salon back to tell them you're leaving a tip, I would call the salon and explain why you didn't tip. If she acted this way to you, she acted this way to someone else as well.

Also your friend is wrong, I didn't live on tips alone, I received commission as well. And there were days that I didn't get tips, I wasn't starving at the end of the day. So don't feel bad that you didn't tip her at all, I think she'll be okay even though her attitude sucks.

ETA: I don't know why my paragraphs are centered (or maybe that's just my computer acting wonky)

Wedding Countdown Ticker

image 59 Invited
    image 36 Yes
    image 2 No
    image 21 Unknown
  • Options
    harper0813harper0813 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited May 2013
    Tips are a thank you for good service. You did not receive good service. What salon were you at? I'm dying to know - I need my hairs cut and I definitely don't want to go to that one!
  • Options
    Just a little background "TIPS" stands for "to insure professional serves" which CLEARLY she did not! 

Also, this is why I let nobody but my stylist touch my hair, but I am finicky and b - itchy like that. 

I wouldn't have left a tip either.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    This is a no tip AND call the salon to complain situation.

Just not leaving a tip doesn't really show to the stylist why you were upset.  There are bad tippers for good service out there.  No tip plus complaining to management makes more of an impact. 

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    manateehuggermanateehugger member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited May 2013
    Thank you all for not making me feel like a jerk! I still slightly feel bad, but you all are making me feel a little vindicated. Honestly, I'm hoping she was just having one heck of a day and I was in her chair at the wrong time. 

Zoberg - I'm afraid to tell you, because normally I love this salon haha! I don't want the salon as a whole to lose business. It's in St. Charles. I've been going there for years now. I just wanted to get in an emergency haircut for an interview tomorrow,  so I took an open slot with this stylist since my usual lady was booked. I've never seen or heard of her there before, so I'm thinking she's on the newer side. I'd hate for her to send customers screaming from the salon.  

Edit: And on that note, I think those of you saying call the manager are correct. I'll get on it. 
  • Options
    In Response to Re: NWR Question About Tipping:
    [QUOTE]Thank you all for not making me feel like a jerk! I still slightly feel bad, but you all are making me feel a little vindicated. Honestly, I'm hoping she was just having one heck of a day and I was in her chair at the wrong time.  Zoeberg - I'm afraid to tell you, because normally I love this salon haha! I don't want the salon as a whole to lose business. It's in St. Charles. I've been going there for years now. I just wanted to get in an emergency haircut for an interview tomorrow,  so I took an open slot with this stylist since my usual lady was booked. I've never seen or heard of her there before, so I'm thinking she's on the newer side. I'd hate for her to send customers screaming from the salon.   Edit: And on that note, I think those of you saying call the manager are correct. I'll get on it. 
    Posted by PDKH[/QUOTE]

Fair enough! I live in the city of STL (I'm one of like 5 people who live over here) so I wouldn't venture to St. Charles anyway.
  • Options
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: NWR Question About Tipping : Fair enough! I live in the city of STL (I'm one of like 5 people who live over here) so I wouldn't venture to St. Charles anyway.
    Posted by zoberg[/QUOTE]

Haha I grew up in St. Charles, but live in Creve Coeur now. I've got a couple South City friends (2 of the 5 maybe?) and they talk about St. Charles like it's another country - "You have to cross the river to get there!" - it's hilarious.  
  • Options
    daria24daria24 member
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer
    I would have tipped her a dollar. Sometimes I feel that giving a really low tip sends more of a message. If you don't leave a tip, I know there are some people who think "what a cheap bastard, they don't tip." But if you leave a really low one it sends the message-this is all that service was worth.

And I would call and complain to the manager. There is no excuse for such rudeness. 
  • Options
    I absolutely hate it when people say waitresses and any other profession that works for a tip deserves a tip JUST BECAUSE they don't make a lot with their regular pay.

The way I look at it is that when you enter that profession, you know damn well you need to work for that tip. You shouldn't be an a-hole or rude in any case.

If it were me, I would not have tipped if she was that rude to a person she's never met before. That's her own fault.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    I'm one of those people that would still tip even if she accidentally left my color on too long and burned all my hair off.

But insulting me like that? HECK NO.  I wouldn't have left a tip, and I would have asked to talk to the manager.

I totally sympathize with people that have tip-heavy salaries.  I know sometimes people have a bad day, or haven't mastered their skill yet, and I always still tip.  But there's no excuse for her behavior at all.  Bad day or not--she flat out insulted you--TWICE.  She could have backpedaled and said, "Oh that's not what i meant at all" or "just kidding".  But she seemed to stick by her statement.  

SaveSave
  • Options
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: NWR Question About Tipping : Haha I grew up in St. Charles, but live in Creve Coeur now. I've got a couple South City friends (2 of the 5 maybe?) and they talk about St. Charles like it's another country - "You have to cross the river to get there!" - it's hilarious.  
    Posted by PDKH[/QUOTE]

No seriously. I feel like I have to put on a space suit to get all the way over there - that's how far it feels. I rarely leave the city, unless I'm going hiking. Or going to Galleria, which... may be part of the county? I don't even know.

I'll say hi to your friends for you! Haha.
  • Options
    [QUOTE]I would have tipped her a dollar. Sometimes I feel that giving a really low tip sends more of a message. If you don't leave a tip, I know there are some people who think "what a cheap bastard, they don't tip." But if you leave a really low one it sends the message-this is all that service was worth. And I would call and complain to the manager. There is no excuse for such rudeness. 
    Posted by daria24[/QUOTE]

This.  I would want the recipient to know that I didn't simply forget to tip.

• Options
    Tips stand for "to insure proper service" so if your service was inadequate, and well from the sounds of it, insulting, you definitely do not have to tip that woman. If she makes her lively hood that way she needs to learn to be professional. Even in jobs/professions that are not tip based there are repercussions for unprofessional behavior. Feel no guilt.
  • Options
    [QUOTE]Just a little background "TIPS" stands for "to insure professional serves" which CLEARLY she did not!  Also, this is why I let nobody but my stylist touch my hair, but I am finicky and b - itchy like that.  I wouldn't have left a tip either.
    Posted by smalfrie19[/QUOTE]
    Actually no, it doesn't.  That's an urban legend.

http://www.snopes.com/language/acronyms/tip.asp

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards