Pennsylvania-Pittsburgh
Options

Should I send a shower gift?

I received a shower invitation for a shower that's 7 hours away for 3pm on a Sunday afternoon.  I had a locker next to this individual in high school (so 6 years ago), and have only seen this individual twice since then when she dated my BIL.  She is marrying a totally different guy, the wedding is also on a Sunday evening, so we will not be attending.  I do talk to her occasionally on facebook chat, but I think it's really reaching to invite someone 500 miles away that you are not close to or related to to your shower. 

Would it be totally awful if I just sent a card, no gift, for the shower, then sent a wedding gift when we get our invite?  WWYD?  I don;t want to seem rude, but we're buying a home, and my law school loans will start coming due, and I haven't seen this person but twice in 6 years! 
August Siggy Challenge- Wedding Must Have - sleigh cake stand Bio updated 04/05/10.
Anniversary

Re: Should I send a shower gift?

• Options
    morainemommorainemom member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I personally wouldn't send a gift or even a card.
    You aren't being rude because, as you stated, you are only casual friends/chatters.

(I am guessing you did not invite her to your shower or wedding?)

You don't have to send a gift for the wedding, either.

I received an invite in the mail this past week from someone I hadn't had any contact with in about 8 or more years.  I had totally lost track of them.  I just sent back a "Declines with regrets" on the RSVP card.  I won't be sending them a gift and I have no guilt in not doing so. :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011

No this person was not invited to my wedding or shower.  She does know lots of the details of my wedding because she has asked questions what I did, or how to do this or that, and she has seen photos on facebook.  She called me once since my wedding to talk about her wedding dress, but I didn't even have her phone number in my phone. 

August Siggy Challenge- Wedding Must Have - sleigh cake stand Bio updated 04/05/10.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I agree. I think it might be weirder if you sent a card and no gift as opposed to nothing. I would not feel guilty at all.

If you feel guilty, then for her wedding, maybe send like $20-$25 in a congrats card, but I really don't think I would send anything for the shower or the wedding.
    RT + JB
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    The only item I will not compromise on...my bouquet of all purple tulips wrapped in a swatch from my Mom's wedding dress.
  • Options
    morainemommorainemom member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I really wouldn't send anything to either the shower or the wedding, then.

• Options
    LaFemmeRousseLaFemmeRousse member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I definitely don't think you need to send anything for the shower, even a card.  I don't think you would be required to send a wedding gift, but if I was in your situation, I still would.

Pittsburgh sig: Favorite thing about fall= college football!
    Vacation
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I already purcahsed and filled out a card, but I can just pitch that.  lol. Thanks for the opinions ladies.  I just hate to hurt her feelings, but obviously she's not that clsoe to me, so why should I worry. 
    Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I agree with LaFemme... I held off on answering to see others' perpectives b/c that's a tough one. I don't think she'd be offended/disappointed if you didn't send one, but I'd send something little.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    something just for the wedding then Kim? Or something little for the shower and then something for the wedding?
    Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Hmm... I think for both may be overdoing it, so I'd tend to say just for the wedding. That could be a nice balance between not sending anything vs. a gift for both the shower and wedding. Just my 2 cents of course! I don't think it's wrong to not send anything, but that's just what I'd do.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm with Kim and LaFemme and send something small from the registry for both once I receive my wedding invite.

We did that for people we are not close to and spent about $20 on a photo album they had on their registry.

It is a nice, inexpensive way to say you care, but not "let's be best friends forever!" :) LOL!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I wouldn't worry about the shower. Most people who didn't come to mine didn't send a gift or card unless they were family. I would, however, send a wedding gift or at least a card. It doesn't have to be much, but I think its a nice gesture.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Sounds like a plan!  Who knows, maybe I'm not invited to the wedding, just the shower! lol
    Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards