October 2013 Weddings

NEWR: Finish the sentence.

edited May 2013 in October 2013 Weddings
If it weren't for TK...

ETA: NEWR = not exactly WR

Re: NEWR: Finish the sentence.

• My productivity level at work would be better.

I would not have gotten to know some amazing ladies.

• My productivity level at work would be better.

I would not have gotten to know some amazing ladies.

I would have assumed that STDs were necessary and I needed to get all my bridesmaids matching gifts, and I couldn't have more than one MOH.
    image 209 Invited
    image 151 Yes
    image 46 No

Daisypath Wedding tickers 

• edited May 2013
    Without the knot, I would not have known about event painters, and would not have hired one. And, I'm really excited to see the finished product.

Edited: had wrong url
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

image 293 (Adults) Invited
    image198 Yes (+ 12 children and 3 babies)
    image95 No
    image0 Unknown

• SweetB7SweetB7 member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    I wouldn't have procrastinated on homework all semester. 

I would not have known about sola wood flowers. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I may not have done actual RSVP cards. (My BM just recently said "what's the point? Why not just give the guests and email address or phone number?" I laughed, especially since there was a discussion recently on another board about something similar to this...)
  • lplions said:
    I may not have done actual RSVP cards. (My BM just recently said "what's the point? Why not just give the guests and email address or phone number?" I laughed, especially since there was a discussion recently on another board about something similar to this...)
    Including RSVP cards is actually not necessary, or traditional. For a formal event, one should rsvp using formal wording on their own stationery.

http://www.ehow.com/how_5080918_write-formal-rsvp.html

So technically, the phrase "no need for RSVPs" can mean two totally different things. It can mean the event is not formal and it does not matter if you respond or not (there will be enough food and seats for everyone invited, so it does not matter who arrives), or it can mean "you don't need to include a pre-stamped card in your invite."

People appear to have started including them because this formality seems to have gone by the wayside, which is sad. It means people today throwing parties don't trust their friends and relatives enough to respond to a formal invite, and try to make the job easier and dumb it down to "check here for yes or no" and "write your  name here."  

We have thought about this a lot for our own wedding, and ultimately decided to include them. However, we did not write a "response date." There is a date that we know we will call guests if we have not heard from them, but I'm sorta putting trust in people that when they receive a formal invite, they have an idea of when the hosts should know whether or not they are coming. This might come back to bite us in the butt, but I also still have some faith in the common sense of people....some.

We considered having a separate card with an email address (I even posted about it on here) - but that might have made the entire event look "less formal" which isn't what we were going for. It would have saved paper and postage and money - but really, that isn't the point to do emails or not. (Or is it?) Our rsvp cards were $200 for printing/envelopes/cards, plus the postage we will be putting on them. That $300+ will not break our entire wedding budget, but it might mean one less dinner out this month or delay clothes shopping, or something of that nature. 

So etiquette wise, the little card is not totally correct. It is accepted and often done, but not necessary. Being on the Knot reminded me that people have come to expect it, but your friend was not wrong in saying that there really isn't a point. (And, people still don't send them in anyway.) So really, what is the point? 

image95 No
    image0 Unknown

• @SewInLoveWithDMB: Yea, I'm not saying it's "not etiquette correct" or whatever not to include the RSVP cards. The reason why we didn't do the phone number or email or on the website is because 1) who would I put in charge of getting the phone calls? I don't want to get 75+ phone calls, I know my FH doesn't, and I wouldn't do that to any of my WP. Same with email. and 2) I don't think TK's website is reliable for getting a guest's RSVP, especially when I don't think my guests have actually looked at our website!

My FH & I actually had a discussion about the whole RSVP deal. He said, "people won't respond if they're not coming". I disagreed, and said, "When it comes to a wedding, people respond, and if they don't respond by a certain date, I will be calling them so we can give the final head count to our caterer." I mean.. what if 10 people who receive invites don't respond, we assume they aren't coming, and then they show up?? (I have included a +1 for nearly every "single" person that is getting an invite, except for cousins.) 
  • I see us all making lots of phone calls in the future no matter what we choose!  I agree with your FI that some people who won't be coming won't rsvp, but that doesn't mean it's not frustrating!

image95 No
    image0 Unknown

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards