Pennsylvania-Pittsburgh

Seems to be a tall order: Reception for 60-80

Hey, gals-

I've really been kicking the reception hunt into high gear. However, I'm finding that a lot of places have a min of something like +125 ppl or $10K. (too many people and we'd like to spend less than half of that on food). 

We're planning on 60-80 ppl at this point. I'd love to explore the option of a lovely dinner in a restaurant. Our wedding will be in Oakland so something in the city or near-by would be ideal.

I inquired about the LaMont and GrandConcourse and both require something along the party count or spend for a Saturday night reception so those are out. I inquired because I saw a lot of ladies say they were good about accommodating a more reasonable price per plate, but the quantity is the issue it seems.

I'm trying to stretch my imagination, but need some help. Any ideas/suggestions are very appreciated! :-)

Re: Seems to be a tall order: Reception for 60-80

• edited December 2011
    My friend just got married at the Mattress Factory on the North Side and I thought it was really pretty.  I think she had about the same number of people.  There is a small inside area and then a courtyard, which is where the dance floor was.  They brought in their own caterer, so you could find one that fits your budget.  I believe they also brought their own alcohol, which definitely saves a lot of money.  Good luck!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    218 invited image 137 accepted image 81 declined image 0 haven't said image
    RSVP Date 7/30/2010
  • pantherRNpantherRN member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    What about the Aviary or the Rivers Club?

If you ended up closer to 100, that is the Zoo's minimum, I believe.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • AP910AP910 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

I can't recall the name right now, but I think there is some sort of mansion/house in Shadyside that accomodates small parties....Wish I could remember what it is called!  Also, how about the Warhol museum? Isn't that for smaller parties too? I wish I could remember all of the details! If anything else comes to me, I will post tomorrow :)

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • reannalynnereannalynne member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_pennsylvania-pittsburgh_seems-tall-order-reception-60-80?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:116Discussion:749bc6cf-61c8-46af-bcf9-f340a821e76dPost:79d3e177-d4ff-4538-864f-6202f0943f40">Re: Seems to be a tall order: Reception for 60-80</a>:
    [QUOTE]I can't recall the name right now, but I think there is some sort of mansion/house in Shadyside that accomodates small parties....Wish I could remember what it is called!  Also, how about the Warhol museum? Isn't that for smaller parties too? I wish I could remember all of the details! If anything else comes to me, I will post tomorrow :)
    Posted by AP910[/QUOTE]

I think you mean the Frick house/mansion/museum?
  • jrsygrl10jrsygrl10 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

hm, i wish i hadnt thrown away my packet from the lemont. i know the GC had a minimum # of people (150), but i thought that the lemont was a guest count to determine what your deposit was (i.e., up to 150 ppl = X; 150-200 ppl = XX).

is having it on a friday an option? you might find a bit more leniency that way.

• LaFemmeRousseLaFemmeRousse member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Is the Frick the one you mean, Amanda?  I love and covet that venue, haha- my own wedding is too darn big.  They do have several options for smaller parties, although their caterers (I think there are three?) skew toward the pricy side.

Pittsburgh sig: Favorite thing about fall= college football!
    Vacation
  • edited December 2011
    What about the Pgh Center for the Arts on Fifth and Shady? That is close to Oakland, and might have a smaller area for your reception.

Pgh Center for the Arts

Also, doesn't the PAA have some smaller rooms available? Might be worth looking into.

Good luck finding something!

Dave & Jennifer 10.18.08
    My Doha Adventures
  • edited December 2011
    Great--thank you all! There were some suggestions I hadn't explored yet, so grateful to have this resouce :-)

Mucho gracias!
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_pennsylvania-pittsburgh_seems-tall-order-reception-60-80?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:116Discussion:749bc6cf-61c8-46af-bcf9-f340a821e76dPost:1670b346-6e76-460d-a9af-863c79d1fab9">Re: Seems to be a tall order: Reception for 60-80</a>:
    [QUOTE]hm, i wish i hadnt thrown away my packet from the lemont. i know the GC had a minimum # of people (150), but i thought that the lemont was a guest count to determine what your deposit was (i.e., up to 150 ppl = X; 150-200 ppl = XX). is having it on a friday an option? you might find a bit more leniency that way.
    Posted by jrsygrl10[/QUOTE]

<div>The minimum at GC was 125 for the main dining room (we only had 126 at our wedding).  It is 50 for the Gandy Dancer Saloon Room with the river view.  For the main room, yes, it was a 10K minimum for a Saturday night.</div>
  • edited December 2011

What about the Pittsburgh Steak Company in the Southside. They have an upstairs banquet room and it accomadates only up to 100 people (our wedding was too big). Their prices per meal are very resonable as well.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I was going to say the Aviary as well.

I had mine at Heinz Field and their North Club Lounge and Press Room would be for that size crowd (up to 100) and the North Lounge is supposed to have a great view! No minimums.
  • edited December 2011
    We had our reception on the Gateway Clipper, we had about 80 people and the miimum for a Sat. night is less than $10k.

Vacation

• edited December 2011
    Phipps has a garden center carriage house that would fit 80! I think it's only $600 to rent it out.

I think the caterers they have are expensive though. However, I didn't look too much into it so you may find one with a good cost. If you want, PM me with your e-mail and I can send you the information I got!

HTH
  • AP910AP910 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I remembered!! The Mansion at Maple Heights!! 80 people max! :)  Looks really neat!
     HTH!!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011

Appreciate all the thoughts and suggestions!! :-)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards