Chit Chat
Options

Brangelina news

Now I'm not normally a celebrity watcher, but I've always admired Angelina and Brad, and all the good they try to do with their money. Now my admiration has gone up even more.

Angelina just announced that she has had both breasts removed due to being at high risk for breast cancer. She also intends to set an example for others who have had a masectomy, to show society it does not make them less of a woman.

I'm impressed that someone who makes her living off her sex appeal would so boldly and readily make an example of her own situation.

Ok, crush rant over :p.
Don't make me mobilize OffensiveKitten

Anniversary

Re: Brangelina news

• Options
    Wow.  Too bad she was in that situation, but good for her for publicizing for others' benefit.
  • Options
    I love the humanitarian work that they do. I love (outside of the whole Angelina vs Jennifer crap) that they try really hard to stay out of the spotlight. Both her and Brad have kind of.. faded a little bit and are busy doing charity work, and I admire the heck out of that. 

I read that story on CNN today, it's on the front page. At first, I was like 'really? This is what makes front page news?' and I still think celebrities making the front page is silly, but readying it I realized that that is a brave choice for anyone to make, let alone (like you said) someone who makes a living off of being on screen. I'm impressed too, you're not the only one!
    my blog - for the love of ein
    'Next time, just fart.' - BriSox81
  • Options
    In Response to Re:Brangelina news:[QUOTE]It hate that this is news.nbsp; What there's nothing important going on in the world right now?nbsp; We have to talk about Angelina's tits? Posted by LingerLonger1[/QUOTE] Normally I would agree for like an enhancement job, but things like breast cancer deserve the front page. Especially taking the shame that a lot of women feel out of masectomies. I'd rather read about that than a lot of other drek that makes it into print.

Anniversary

• Options

Honestly, when I first heard it, I thought "good for her for caring more about her health than her boobs", but my second thought was this is SUCH Bullsh!t!   I know people who have had breast cancer and the doctors would only do a lumpectomy because a mastectomy was too expensive (my sister being one of them).   AJ didn't have cancer, just the cancer gene, and she was able to get a mastectomy.  it's just shitty that you only have access to care for your health like this when you are rich.

• Options
    In Response to Re:Brangelina news:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re:Brangelina news: Normally I would agree for like an enhancement job, but things like breast cancer deserve the front page. Especially taking the shame that a lot of women feel out of masectomies. I'd rather read about that than a lot of other drek that makes it into print.
    Posted by Peledreamsofrain[/QUOTE]
    This. A high profile celebrity that women and men physically admire discussing an issue like masectomies is helpful to those undergoing something similar.
    She and Brad do a lot of good in this world. Just because their careers happen to be in the entertainment business doesn't make what she has to say any less valid.
  • Options
    In Response to Re: Brangelina news:
    [QUOTE]Honestly, when I first heard it, I thought "good for her for caring more about her health than her boobs", but my second thought was this is SUCH Bullsh!t!   I know people who have had breast cancer and the doctors would only do a lumpectomy because a mastectomy was too expensive (my sister being one of them).   AJ didn't have cancer, just the cancer gene, and she was able to get a mastectomy.  it's just shitty that you only have access to care for your health like this when you are rich.
    Posted by cmgilpin[/QUOTE]

Absolutely.
  • Options
    I think it's rather ridiculous that it's front page.  Many women have mastesctomies and I don't see why she gets front page news.  And she doesn't even have breast cancer. She has a risk of breast cancer.
  • Options
    [QUOTE]Honestly, when I first heard it, I thought "good for her for caring more about her health than her boobs", but my second thought was this is SUCH Bullsh!t!   I know people who have had breast cancer and the doctors would only do a lumpectomy because a mastectomy was too expensive (my sister being one of them).   AJ didn't have cancer, just the cancer gene, and she was able to get a mastectomy.  it's just shitty that you only have access to care for your health like this when you are rich.
    Hopefully it won't always be like this. High profuile cases like this that work might make people rethink the way healthcare works and covers people.
  • Options

You took the words right out of my mouth.

I work in healthcare on the financial end. Not everyone has the access to find the gene that causes breast cancer and to have the reconstructive surgery to have a new set of breasts after a mastectomy. I have pretty decent health insurance and I don't even think the genetic testing would even be covered. Insurance companies are screwy to begin with. Right now I'm fighting with an insurance company because they need to find medical necessity for a mastectomy for one of my patients. Um, are you freaking kidding me??? She has breast cancer FFS!

I know it's Angelina's op-ed and she can say whatever she wants, but I feel like she's giving a false sense of hope to people who don't have a good healthcare plan that they can have the same course of action. It's not always that way. I just wish she was a little more honest about how the whole healthcare game is played. For example: "this is my experience with breast cancer, but I was able to have the best of the best, not everyone is going to have these results" or something to that effect.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

image 59 Invited
    image 36 Yes
    image 2 No
    image 21 Unknown
  • Options
    [QUOTE]Hey guys!  BREAKING NEWS:  I took a siht today!  I might be a celebrity so I thought you'd want to know. I'm not saying what she says is any LESS valid.  I'm saying a woman having the same surgery plenty of other women have had is not news and certainly should not get her front page coverage. Of course I don't find Angelina particularly admirable either so there's that.
    Posted by LingerLonger1[/QUOTE]
    Pooping = Masectomy

Really?
  • Options
    Maggie0829Maggie0829 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited May 2013
    [QUOTE]I think it's rather ridiculous that it's front page.  Many women have mastesctomies and I don't see why she gets front page news.  And she doesn't even have breast cancer. She has a risk of breast cancer.
    Posted by misshart00[/QUOTE]

I think it is a bit ridiculous too, but if Angelina getting a masectomy gets people really talking about breast cancer and taking the shame off of women for having a masectomy themselves then it is a good thing.

But unfortunately "normal" people who are just as brave and fight hard for years to beat cancer are never commended or recognized.

ETA:  It reminds me of Guiliana Rancic.  Yes it was horrible she had to go through all of that but her ordeal is no more important or tragic then that of anyone else that went through it but yet she gets the publicity because she is a celebrity.  At least she has done some good with that publicity instead of only just reaping the financial benefits.

• Options
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Brangelina news : I think it is a bit ridiculous too, but if Angelina getting a masectomy gets people really talking about breast cancer and taking the shame off of women for having a masectomy themselves then it is a good thing. But unfortunately "normal" people who are just as brave and fight hard for years to beat cancer are never commended or recognized.
    Posted by Maggie0829[/QUOTE]
    Not all of them speak out about it. Talking about breasts is still considered taboo for some people, let alone talking about having your breasts removed.
  • Options
    You're living in a culture where Miley Cyrus' haircut and Amanda Bynes twitter posts are news. In that context, this is big news.

I don't know anyone who's had a masectomy so when celebrities talk about their battles and struggles, I can only imagine that it promotes awareness to people like me. I don't really understand why someone would do something so drastic if they don't have cancer but I guess I'm not in a position to judge whether that's a rational measure to take against a fear of getting it.
    image   imageimage
    You'll never be subject to a cash bar, gap, potluck wedding, or b-list if you marry a Muppet Overlord.

• Options
    edited May 2013
    In Response to Re:Brangelina news:In Response to Re: Brangelina news:I think it's rather ridiculous that it's front page.nbsp; Many women have mastesctomies and I don't see why she gets front page news.nbsp; And she doesn't even have breast cancer. She has a risk of breast cancer.Posted by misshart00I think it is a bit ridiculous too, but if Angelina getting a masectomy gets people really talking about breast cancer and taking the shame off of women for having a masectomy themselves then it is a good thing.But unfortunately "normal" people who are just as brave and fight hard for years to beat cancer are never commended or recognized.ETA:nbsp; It reminds me of Guiliana Rancic.nbsp; Yes it was horrible she had to go through all of that but her ordeal is no more important or tragic then that of anyone else that went through it but yet she gets the publicity because she is a celebrity.nbsp; At least she has done some good with that publicity instead of only just reaping the financial benefits. Posted by Maggie0829 This is how I feel about it too. The more publicity this topic gets, the better. Not only that, but being upset that insurance in America causes the majority of the population to recieve substandard healthcare, and directing that anger at Angelina doesn't make sense.

Anniversary

• Options
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Brangelina news : Wow that's exactly what I said!
    Nope, you said it soooo much more eloquently.

You compared the two as though they were on the same level. Breaking news, you took a siht is just as newsworthy as someone, anyone, getting a double mastectomy. If that's not what you meant, please, now would be a great time to rephrase what you posted.
  • Options
    [QUOTE]You're living in a culture where Miley Cyrus' haircut and Amanda Bynes twitter posts are news. In that context, this is big news. I don't know anyone who's had a masectomy so when celebrities talk about their battles and struggles, I can only imagine that it promotes awareness to people like me. I don't really understand why someone would do something so drastic if they don't have cancer but I guess I'm not in a position to judge whether that's a rational measure to take against a fear of getting it.
    Posted by MuppetFan[/QUOTE]

I am very close to someone who had a mastectomy at 9 years old.  Knowing what she's been through, I don't understand why someone would do this when it's not life saving.  I might get flamed for this, but it really makes her look like an AW.
  • Options
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Brangelina news : LOL!  No.
    Ok, then.
  • Options
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Brangelina news : I am very close to someone who had a mastectomy at 9 years old.  Knowing what she's been through, I don't understand why someone would do this when it's not life saving.  I might get flamed for this, but it really makes her look like an AW.
    Posted by misshart00[/QUOTE]

well, her mother died at around 50 years old from cancer. She carries the breast cancer gene and she has a bunch of kids she wants to raise and see grow up. So, it IS life saving.
  • Options
    [QUOTE]I gotta go with Linger on this one.  I have no beef with her for doing it, but considering that a. she is doing it voluntarily and b. she will have no problem paying for top notch implants and reconstructive surgery, I seriously doubt she will face any of the esteem issues that average women face when having a mastectomy. ETA:  Also worth pointing out that just getting the testing for the gene is crazy expensive.  I have a friend who is high enough risk that her health insurance offered to "cover the testing".  Just her payout on the test was a little over $5k.  While I don't blame that on Angelina, I do see the false hope angle that someone else mentioned.
    Posted by StageManager14[/QUOTE]

Right. According the the news report on the radio, she had the reconstruction done at the same time.  So, she left the hospital with her new boobs.
  • Options
    In Response to Re:Brangelina news:[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Brangelina news:You're living in a culture where Miley Cyrus' haircut and Amanda Bynes twitter posts are news. In that context, this is big news. I don't know anyone who's had a masectomy so when celebrities talk about their battles and struggles, I can only imagine that it promotes awareness to people like me. I don't really understand why someone would do something so drastic if they don't have cancer but I guess I'm not in a position to judge whether that's a rational measure to take against a fear of getting it.Posted by MuppetFanI am very close to someone who had a mastectomy at 9 years old.nbsp; Knowing whatnbsp;she's been through, I don't understand why someone would do this when it's not life saving.nbsp; I might get flamed for this, but it really makes her look like an AW. Posted by misshart00[/QUOTE] From what I read, gene testing put her at 87 percent likely to get it. That's what I admire about the situation. We place somuch emphasis on big breasts in our society equating to feminity that many would face such a staggering stat, and choose to risk their lives for two fat deposits.

Anniversary

• Options
    QueerFemmeQueerFemme member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited May 2013
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re:Brangelina news: From what I read, gene testing put her at 87 percent likely to get it. That's what I admire about the situation. We place somuch emphasis on big breasts in our society equating to feminity that many would face such a staggering stat, and choose to risk their lives for two fat deposits.

She didn't even go one day without new boobs.  She was reconstructed before she left the hospital
  • Options
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Brangelina news : Right. According the the news report on the radio, she had the reconstruction done at the same time.  So, she left the hospital with her new boobs.

Yeah, that doesn't happen in the real world of breast cancer. Once again like I said earlier it gives people false hope that what I'm guessing was an 8-10 hour surgery for her she can get rid of the old breasts and get wheeled out with implants.

Like Stage said, most women have to wait 3-6 months for recovery/saving money/insurance approvals.

You know what would be nice? Tomorrow an op-ed in the NYT from someone with shltty insurance and no money in savings giving their experience with breast cancer and reconstruction.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

image 59 Invited
    image 36 Yes
    image 2 No
    image 21 Unknown
  • Options
    In Response to Re:Brangelina news:[QUOTE]In Response to Re:Brangelina news:In Response to Re:Brangelina news: From what I read, gene testing put her at 87 percent likely to get it. That's what I admire about the situation. We place somuch emphasis on big breasts in our society equating to feminity that many would face such a staggering stat, and choose to risk their lives for two fat deposits.Posted by PeledreamsofrainShe's getting new boobs, which will in fact be perkier and have better cleavage than real boobs. nbsp;Again, I don't begrudge her having it done, but she isn't exactly walking around without boobs for 3 to 6 months while she recovers and tries to scrape together the money to pay for reconstructive surgery. nbsp;I bet if you offered any of those many women who were more worried about breasts/feminity any size and shape of implants they wanted with their mastectomy, the number who would take it would skyrocket. Posted by StageManager14[/QUOTE] That is true, I'll give you that. But I do like that it wasn't hushed up and it brings an important issue a lot of coverage. Maybe more people will take another look at what insurance SHOULD cover. That would be something. I hate insurance companies right now.

Anniversary

• Options
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Brangelina news : Yeah, that doesn't happen in the real world of breast cancer. Once again like I said earlier it gives people false hope that what I'm guessing was an 8-10 hour surgery for her she can get rid of the old breasts and get wheeled out with implants. Like Stage said, most women have to wait 3-6 months for recovery/saving money/insurance approvals. You know what would be nice? Tomorrow an op-ed in the NYT from someone with shltty insurance and no money in savings giving their experience with breast cancer and reconstruction.
    Posted by buddysmom80[/QUOTE]

I would read the hell out of that. I'm very thankful that I have not been put in a position like that, and I am curious to see *exactly* how terrible our healthcare system is. My parents worked very hard to be able to give me insurance, so I have been spoiled in that regard. You should email them and ask for it. For realz.
  • Options
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Brangelina news : well, her mother died at around 50 years old from cancer. She carries the breast cancer gene and she has a bunch of kids she wants to raise and see grow up. So, it IS life saving.

I just read her article. She said she went from having an 87% chance to a 5% chance...and after talking about her mother's orderal.... that's percentage and her loss would probably have me very fearful too.

Misshart, your friend had a massectomy at 9 years old? Or you were 9?
    image   imageimage
    You'll never be subject to a cash bar, gap, potluck wedding, or b-list if you marry a Muppet Overlord.

• Options
    misshart00misshart00 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited May 2013
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Brangelina news :Misshart, your friend had a massectomy at 9 years old? Or you were 9?
    Posted by MuppetFan[/QUOTE]

My friend was 9.  She had reconstruction when she was 14.
  • Options
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Brangelina news : I would read the hell out of that. I'm very thankful that I have not been put in a position like that, and I am curious to see *exactly* how terrible our healthcare system is. My parents worked very hard to be able to give me insurance, so I have been spoiled in that regard. You should email them and ask for it. For realz.
    Posted by kmbryant2413[/QUOTE]

yeah... I mean, don't get me wrong.  I am not saying she shouldn't have gotten new boobs immediately, but that is so fuggin unrealistic.  When my sister was going through this, they ended up doing a double mastecomy AFTER the cancer came back in same breast and it showed up "possible" in the other breast.   At that point, it was too late to save her nipples, so they had to remove her nipples, all of the breast tissue and part of her skin.

Her reconstruction didn't happen for about 6 months, because they had to stretch the skin to cover the implant.  And then, she had little boob mountains with no nipples. 

So, yeah...  Angelina's experience... not typical
  • Options
    s-aries8990s-aries8990 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited May 2013
    I'm kinda feeling that the fact that she got new boobs at the same time makes this an AW-ish situation. Having this mastectomy isn't making her feel less feminine because her shape isn't really changing - she'll have all of the same parts, just some will be fake.

(ETA- when I say "isn't" I don't know first hand, but I can imagine that a person who has to take those few months to recover will have many more identity and self-esteem issues that someone who has implants done immediately).

Good for her for making this bold and brave decision. But, I don't think it's font page worthy news (although her editorial is editorial-page worthy).
     Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    In Response to Re:Brangelina news:[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Brangelina news:In Response to Re: Brangelina news : I would read the hell out of that. I'm very thankful that I have not been put in a position like that, and I am curious to see exactly how terrible our healthcare system is. My parents worked very hard to be able to give me insurance, so I have been spoiled in that regard. You should email them and ask for it. For realz.Posted by kmbryant2413yeah... I mean, don't get me wrong.nbsp; I am not saying she shouldn't have gotten new boobs immediately, but that is so fuggin unrealistic.nbsp; When my sister was going through this, they ended up doing a double mastecomy AFTER the cancer came back in same breast and it showed up "possible" in the other breast.nbsp;nbsp; At that point, it was too late to save her nipples, so they had to remove her nipples, all of the breast tissue and part of her skin. Her reconstruction didn't happen for about 6 months, because they had to stretch the skin to cover the implant.nbsp; And then, she had little boob mountains with no nipples.nbsp; So, yeah...nbsp; Angelina's experience... not typical Posted by cmgilpin[/QUOTE] You know what gets me? That awesome lady who got that gorgeous tattoo over her masectomy area instead of reconstruction, constantly gets censored on facebook. That pisses me off. There is nothing offensive or shameful about that.

Anniversary

• Options
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re:Brangelina news: You know what gets me? That awesome lady who got that gorgeous tattoo over her masectomy area instead of reconstruction, constantly gets censored on facebook. That pisses me off. There is nothing offensive or shameful about that.

EXACTLY! Micro-kinis aren't banned, but a woman with a beautiful ches tattoo is? Hmm.
     Daisypath Anniversary tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards