Pennsylvania-Pittsburgh

Turkey Day Recipes

Since we're on our own for Thanksgiving this year, I need recipe help!!

Who has good turkey day recipes?? Pie, sides, the turkey itself.... post here!!

Re: Turkey Day Recipes

• edited December 2011
    I don't know if you're a soup kind of person, but we just made this butternut squash soup last night. It's sooo easy and really tasty! I roasted, pureed, and froze a bunch of squash a while ago so that made this even faster.

2 tablespoons vegetable oil
    1 1/2 pounds butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and cut into 1-inch chunks (about 5 cups)
    1 medium onion, chopped
    1 box (10 ounces) frozen corn, thawed
    1 1/2 teaspoons curry powder
    Coarse salt and ground pepper
    2 cans (14.5 ounces each) vegetable broth
    1/2 cup heavy cream

In a large heavy pot, heat oil over medium-high; add squash and onion. Cook until onion is soft, about 6 minutes. Add corn and curry powder; cook until curry is fragrant, about 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Add broth and simmer until squash is tender, about 25 minutes. In a blender, blend half the soup until smooth. Return to pot and stir in cream; heat through over medium-low (do not boil).

And also, here's a recipe for a pumpkin gooey butter cake that's really great:
    http://www.pauladeen.com/recipes/view2/pumpkin_gooey_butter_cake

Married! :) 5/19/12 The Domesticals

• cgyvhucgyvhu member
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    mmm butternut squash soup and pumpkin dessert.  That's all I really need to make turkey day awesome!
  • edited December 2011
    Haha yeah :) I'm really more a fan of Thanksgiving sides than the actual turkey.
    Married! :) 5/19/12 The Domesticals

• edited December 2011
    Depending on how many people you are having, I make a mean boneless turkey breast and it's so easy. But because of the size, its probably only big enough for 3, maybe 4 people. My FI and I can polish off almost the whole thing!

Just buy one of the frozen boneless breast and thaw it out. I soften some butter and put it all over the breast, including under the skin. Salt and Pepper also. Then i bake it in the oven at 350 I think for about an hour. (I honestly think the put directions for this on the turkey packaging) After 20 min or so, the skin will be browned, so I cover it with a foil tent to keep it from getting too brown.

It's just as good as any Thanksgiving turkey I've had and easy enough to make more often than Thanksgiving!

No matter what you make, i'm sure itll be wonderful! If you mess anything up, you can always order Chinese!! haha
  • edited December 2011
    Favorite Pumpkin Dessert EVER:

Praline Pumpkin Dessert.  Easy, quick and amazing.

BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards