Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Lopsided guest list?

My side of the list is about ten people.. including two mutual friends/the officiant. My fiancee's side of the list is about 30. Our limit is 50 including us.. so it's fine on that end.
Is it kind of odd to have a very lopsided list?

I only have a small percent of family I'm close too, even smaller who could travel to come (1500 miles one way and they have kids in school - probably not going to happen). I also am VERY picky about friends so I only have two friends (and they're husband or children) I'm inviting and the officiant is on my list considering it's mine and my fiancee's mutual friend.

Does anyone else have a lopsided list?

Re: Lopsided guest list?

• Options
    I've seen many lopsided lists. I don't find it odd at all. I think it's fine.
  • Options
    It's not. I would be pissed if I had a bigger family and FI was mad about it. Its just the way it happens. Have guest sit wherever. This is a non-issue. 
  • Options
    Our list was lopsided but I expected as much.  My H has a huge family and many more friends then I do so I definitely didn't expect him to cut down his list just so it equaled mine.

For the ceremony just don't have a brides and grooms side (I think that is dumb anyways) and just let guests sit wherever they want to.

• Options

Ours is also lopsided. I have a large family that I am close to and FI has a very small portion of his family that he is close to.

Anniversary
  • Options
    Ours was. I have a big family and he doesn't.  NBD.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    My guest list will be significantly smaller than FH's and it is NBD. If FH said I have to invite less people so he can have more friends/family there we would have issues but since his family is just naturally bigger than mine it isn't an issue. I am not saying there hasn't been heated discussions over the guest list, like him wanting us to cut the same number of guests off the list which seems rediculous to me that if he cuts 60 off his 250 person list that I have to cut 60 from my 120 person list. If you have ushers/GMs have them sit people on both sides. Unless your wedding isn't at a church, I would miss a sign because there are usually a lot of info in church vestibules.
    You never lose by loving. You always lose by holding back. - Barbara DeAngelis
  • Options
    In Response to Re:Lopsided guest list?:[QUOTE]It's not. I would be pissed if I had a bigger family and FI was mad about it. Its just the way it happens. Have guest sit wherever. This is a nonissue.nbsp; Posted by misssunshine17[/QUOTE] This.
  • Options
    My husband's "side" was 8 people. We had about 60 at our wedding. Who cares?
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    It's fine to have uneven numbers in your guest count.  It's better to invite people you're close to than to fill seats for the sake of fairness.
  • Options
    Ours was about 30/70 in my favor.  It worked out fine.  The important part was he invited who he wanted to invite and so did I.  We did not have "sides" in the church, that was his only concern about the guestlist ratio.  He didn't want it to seem like his mom was sitting by herself on the groom's side, since FIL passed before our wedding.  So we had open seating.
  • Options
    Our lists were lopsided. All of my aunts, uncles and cousins (no suriving grandparents) all live in Germany and there was no way they were all going to be able to make the trip. Two relatives out of the 20+ relatives did. Still had a good time with my new extended family.
  • Options
    In Response to Re: Lopsided guest list?:
    [QUOTE]It's fine to have uneven numbers in your guest count.  It's better to invite people you're close to than to fill seats for the sake of fairness.
    Posted by misshart00[/QUOTE]
    agree completly. invite who you want to be there and you can afford. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    My list will be lopsided.  I have a larger list than my BF.
  • Options
    In Response to Lopsided guest list?:
    [QUOTE]My side of the list is about ten people.. including two mutual friends/the officiant. My fiancee's side of the list is about 30. Our limit is 50 including us.. so it's fine on that end. Is it kind of odd to have a very lopsided list? I only have a small percent of family I'm close too, even smaller who could travel to come (1500 miles one way and they have kids in school - probably not going to happen). I also am VERY picky about friends so I only have two friends (and they're husband or children) I'm inviting and the officiant is on my list considering it's mine and my fiancee's mutual friend. Does anyone else have a lopsided list?
    Posted by eatonh91[/QUOTE]

For my first wedding, my ex wasn't close to his family and his mother even told me not to bother inviting hers. I felt it was weird to have almost no one on his side so I invited them anyway and it was a huge mistake. I wish we had just invited the people we were close to.

For this wedding.... I was annoyed with FMIL for making a big stink about inviting several people we don't associate with when I have coworkers who we are close to and would like there. I ended up splitting the guest list down the middle and saw that I had more than he did and gave in.
    image   imageimage
    You'll never be subject to a cash bar, gap, potluck wedding, or b-list if you marry a Muppet Overlord.

• Options
    We have a super lopsided list too. While FI has far more siblings (7 total), he has no extended family beyond his mother and father, as most of them are back in Jamaica. I have a small immediate family and a HUGE extended family, so my side is definitely the majority. Plus all of our friends that are invited are people we are both friends with, minus a few people from each others work that the other doesn't know very well. 
    Really what it comes down to is that the people you care about are there, it doesn't matter who's side they're on, they're there to see two people they care about get married.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards