Pennsylvania-Pittsburgh
Options

new format/e-pics

I'm having the hardest time getting used to this new format.  Granted I don't come here as often as I used to but that is the reason.  I had to get around the tv.  I'm also very busy at work.  Am I seeing this right, that this would be the second post of the day?  Thought maybe I screwed something up. 

So anyway.  I got my e-pics back the day after Thanksgiving and STILL haven't managed to get them online.  My photographer doesn't use the internet.  I asked for a disk, an email, anything.  So I thought I could scan them.  I thought it was illegal to do that, aren't they copywritten? 
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: new format/e-pics

• Options
    Er/jerEr/jer member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It is the second post - it's a very slow day.

Did she use a digital camera?  And are digital pics included in your package?  If not, you technically should have a written/signed statement from her saying that you are able to use or reproduce the images, I believe.
  • Options
    jezebelljezebell member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yes, it's a digital.  She does very nice work, just not online.  I want to use them for the STD but geez...  TY for the reply.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    You could scan them, but to get the very best quality for printing (like for a STD) you should have the original file.

Does she retouch them or anything?  She really should be able to send them to you electronically or on a disk.  I would definitely clear this up before the wedding, because I'm sure you will want to use them electronically then! 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Happy Birthday, little man. We love you so much!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Search & Win
    My favorite money saving tip: I've earned more than $300 in gift cards (Amazon, Starbucks, Southwest!) using SwagBucks for internet searching - and you can too! It's FREE and EASY!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Hmmm...do you have reprint rights to them? You cannot do anything if you didn't buy the reprint rights.

It doesn't have anything to do with the photographer using the Internet or not. Some photogs (like the one that did my engagement photos) simply do not sell or give away the reprint rights to photos. Some do.

Do you have hard copy proofs now?

The best way to address it is to see what is included in your package. It is common for the digital release for e-pics to not be included. If it does not guarantee a disc with reprint rights, I would email or call and ask:

"Hi, Susy. I have plans to use our engagement photos for several wedding related projects, such as save the date cards, etc. Thus, I need to purchase the reprint rights to these photos. I need the photos in electronic form as high-res jpgs and would prefer them on a CD/DVD. I also need a copyright release from you. How much would you charge for the entire set with reprint rights? How much would you charge for reprint rights if I purchased by the individual photo?"

If she says no to purchasing reprint rights (which she may, as she owns the copyright and may want to make money off the prints), you will need to ask her what she offers in terms of products for STD's, etc.

HTH!

Also, I have to be honest, you may want to rethink your choice in photographer. In today's era, you want to share online. She should have at least a viewable website up to share some shots with people, even if it is just a blog, a Facebook fan page, etc.
  • Options
    jezebelljezebell member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    She has a fb page but  not a website.  She's one of my friends on there.  I've asked her for them digitally as she knows that I want to do the STD.  I don't know how many times to ask before I become the bridezilla.  She really does do great work, though.  Yeah, getting somewhat concerned about being able to get my hands on my pictures.  She gave me the proofs and then I called her with quantities and sizes and she made me the proofs.  I'm not looking to get over on her but if I can scan them, then the pictures will be of use to me.  Otherwise, I just wait for her and see if she'll give me what I want.  I have a contract, I'll have to look it over again.  Check her out on fb.  Her name is Trudy Roney.  Thank you guys.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Hi, Amy. I can't find her on FB. Does she have a personal page? Or a Facebook business fan page?

If she only has a personal page and is marked as private, then I don't think she will appear for me. If she has a business page, it should pop up.

Hmm, do you think she is just reluctant to give you the digital files? A lot of photographers are protective of their work. I don't know how she feels (she could be just dragging her feet), but I know that for many photogs, giving away the digital negatives without payment is sacrilige.

I don't know how serious she is, if she runs a successful business, etc, but you have to read your contract to know if that is even included. It sounds to me like she is a photog who sells prints, not digital negatives/reprint rights. And that may be why she has not given you the disc yet. Have you offered to pay for it, either the full disc for $XXX or by the shot for $XX? Or are you expecting her to give it to you? Is this a friend of yours or a pro?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards