Pennsylvania-Pittsburgh
Options

is this a 'burgh thing?

hi girls - we're way far away from starting the bulk of our planning, but a friend had mentioned to me about throwing herbs or something for the exit from the church.
i posted it on the ceremony ideas a while back to ask if anyone's done this (i was worried about allergic reactions, etc.) and people said they'd never heard of throwing anything!

so it got me wondering: is it, like our famous cookie tables, a 'burgh thing? or a legit tradition? :]
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: is this a 'burgh thing?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I am pretty sure throwing rice or bird seed is common everywhere. No clue about herbs.
    CafeMom Tickers
    CafeMom Tickers
  • Options
    yuengling58yuengling58 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    1. I love cookie tables. I didn't realize they were regional.
    2. I'm more a fan of bubbles being blown than having stuff thrown at me. I really don't want stuff all down my dress. Most weddings I've been to do bubbles or a butterfly release or something.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    robyn - that's what i was thinking too. i'm not sure my friend thought this through! lol

i like the birdseed idea though, maybe if we put it in sachets or small bags for everyone...
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011

Hey Robyn- I'm pretty sure I know you IRL...

• Options
    edited December 2011
    you could always do a sparkler send off!!!!!!  makes for great photos (not that I am biased or anything :-D)
    August Siggy Challenge- Wedding Must Have - sleigh cake stand Bio updated 04/05/10.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    LaFemmeRousseLaFemmeRousse member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Huh, I've seen this done all over the country.  Confusing!

Make sure you check with your ceremony location to see if they allow it before making plans, though.  We're not allowed to throw ANYTHING at the church where we'll be married.  We can't even blow bubbles!

Pittsburgh sig: Favorite thing about fall= college football!
    Vacation
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Throwing rice, bird seed, and flower petals are common everywhere. I have never heard of throwing herbs though- that's pretty weird, IMO.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    in my own defense Inever took bio, but is lavendar an herb?  If so, then I have been to a wedding where herbs were thrown.  I don't think it was to fulfill any tradition, I think the bride just got a good deal on bulk lavendar.

We were not allowed to throw anything at the church either - we also didn;t want our guests to freeze in the 8 degree weather. 
    August Siggy Challenge- Wedding Must Have - sleigh cake stand Bio updated 04/05/10.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Oh yea, I think lavender is an herb. Ok, that might be nice... I was thinking more like basil, oregano, etc., but that makes more sense.
  • Options
    yuengling58yuengling58 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Sara - you definitely do! How are you?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Herbs? I've never heard of such a thing! We weren't allowed to throw seeds at our church either (it attracts too many birds), so we did bubbles. It made for pretty pictures!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Throwing bird seed, rice etc is common most places I think.  Bubbles & sparklers are good ideas too. Butterfly and bird releases are neat but if I remember correctly, most of the butterflies die after the release.  :(   Check with your church or venue about any rules they may have about what you can/cannot throw or do.  My church doesn't allow anything to be thrown, because then someone would have to come clean the sidewalks and steps before Mass. I think we're going with nothing, and if people want to clap, let them have at it.

I have to say if we were doing something, I'd do sparklers, because even though it makes me feel 5 to say it, I love them!!
    Crosswalk
  • Options
    jaimed99jaimed99 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I don't know about the herb thing (although, being a pastry-chef-in-training, I think that's a cool idea) but the cookie tray thing seems like it's a regional thing...haven't heard about it happening anywhere else :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    ok, just making sure i wasn't the last to know about the herb idea!

(i'm pretty sure lavender does count as an herb: the article my friend sent me suggested "looking up" historical meanings behind the herbs and using ones that meant things like fertility, happiness, etc. - sounds like a research project!)

thanks girls :]
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards