Pennsylvania-Pittsburgh
Options

Marriage License Questions

Ok, so I feel really silly asking this, but since I know a lot of you had to do this already..what is the first step in getting a marriage license? All I know is that FI and I have to go somewhere in person, and that its close to the wedding date. And a REALLY dumb question, are the rules different by county? Is it by where you live or where you are getting married?

Thanks for helping me figure out where to begin! Tongue out

Re: Marriage License Questions

• Options
    edited December 2011

You can get your marriage license in any county in the state where you are getting married.  The license is good for 60 days so you can get it anytime up to 60 days before your wedding.  You both need to take picture ID with you.  There is a 3 day waiting period before you actually get the license though, so get it earlier then 3 days before your wedding.  In Pittsburgh we got it at the City-County Building downtown.  It took about 15 minutes.  The office closes at 4:30pm but you have to be there before 4:00.  Oh and it's cash only at the Pittsburgh one (not sure if that's true everywhere).  DH and I were lucky we had that much cash on us, because we didn't know that was the case.
    Good luck!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited December 2011

Cash only, and it's $75.00 in Allegheny County! 

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Yeah FI & I just got ours last week, City-County Building on Grant (414 Grant St). Just as PP said, $75, cash.  They will mail it to you or pick it up. Both of you have to be there to apply, only one has to be there to pick it up in person.  We were in and out too, we got there about 8:40am. 

I know what part the priest sends back to the office, but I can't remember if we keep both the other parts (one has the seal and the other is the official license).  Anyone remember? I was just trying to get out of there since it was taking time off my lunch!
    Crosswalk
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Nevermind, saw the post a few down that answered my question!
    Crosswalk
  • Options
    concerto47concerto47 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We went to Westmoreland County because it's only $45 there (also cash only). In and out of the courthouse in less than 15 minutes.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards