Not Engaged Yet
Options

Roommate issues...fun, fun. Just venting a little bit (long)

So I haven't been very active lately on this board but I'm trying to ease back into it a little, commenting on other threads etc. Anyway, I thought I'd post about my roommate and maybe get some advice. 

Our apartment complex offer 3 bedroom, 3 bath apartments and individual leases for each bedroom. Rent has been $375, including utilities, up till now. This fact will be important later. Because of the individual lease thing, this complex attracts a lot of college students and young professionals. My roommate is 19 and still in college. I'm 25 and I have a stable 9 to 5 job. Despite the age difference, we get along great. But I've noticed lately that she is starting to depend on me to get her out of situations. 

Case in point? She called my phone nonstop yesterday until I answered. It turned out that she had ran out of gas. So I had to leave work and pick her up, get a gas can, etc. 

Every now and then, she will run out of money and ask if she can eat some of my food. It doesn't happen very often but I've noticed that it's starting to happen a little more often...I say yes, of course because luckily, she doesn't eat a lot of it. And because she's broke and I feel bad for saying no. 

About two weeks ago, she found a kitten in a dumpster and rescued it. This kitten was so young, it needed to be bottle-fed pet formula. She asked me if she could bring it in the apartment so she could take care of it and maybe adopt it. I said yes, assuming she was going to pay the pet fee to the leasing office. So for a while, we took care of the kitten. But it turned out to be mainly me taking care of it. I got frustrated because I felt like she was shirking her responsibilities and expecting me to take care of the kitten all by myself. Then I found out that she didn't intend to pay the pet fee. This was a problem because the apartment complex does monthly inspections so my roommate would get caught at some point. Just a matter of when. Well luckily, she eventually saw reason and decided to give the kitten away to a good home. 

Another situation happened last night. We found out that we now have an electric bill. The leasing office has changed their policy and now we have to pay electic separate from rent. All the other utilities are still included though. But we are now responsible for all the electric, split between us. This doesn't really affect me financially but apparently my roommate can't afford it to pay the electric bill. She said that she can't afford a penny over $375. So she got on the phone with her mom to try to figure out a solution. They asked me if we could keep the thermostat set around 78 to 80 in the summer to save money. I about choked on my drink. I am a hot natured person and I CANNOT deal with it being set that high in the summer! Even with the windows and fans going, I can't handle that.

Now I'm sorry for her financial troubles but honestly, if her budget is so narrow and tight that she can't afford a fluctuation in the utility bill, she can't afford an apartment! I am truly sorry for her situation and I would be sad to see her go because we do get along really well. But I pay rent too and I deserve to be at least somewhat comfortable in my own apartment. 

Anyway, I know she's only 19 but...I just wish she would be more responsible in her life. I love hanging out with her but sometimes, it's draining to always rescue her. BF and I are moving in together in January when my lease expires so I have to deal with this until then. I guess I'm just looking for tips on how to handle living with a young, immature and naive roommate who wants to set the thermostat on 78-80 in the summer. And if you read this whole thing, I am very impressed and I thank you. :p
Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: Roommate issues...fun, fun. Just venting a little bit (long)

• Options
    First, learn to say no. With the gas thing you easily could've told her that you were at work and she needed to call someone else. Set boundaries.

I don't know what to say about the electric bill. Does she have a job? Is she just spending money on frivolous things that could be cut out? Could she pay at least some portion of the bill?

• Options

Eeeek, sorry you have to deal with this.  I had a roomate for two years in college and that was enough...I lived alone (other than an ex and now my H) after that. 

Keeping the air at 78 is a bit unreasonable but maybe 75?  Can you find a middle ground?

I would definately have a sit-down session with her (and ask her when a good time to talk about your living arrangements would be before hand) and bring up the fact that you know she is young and want to help her out but she needs to explain how this (asking for food, asking for gas, asking for money) isn't going to be an issue going forward. 

Does she have a plan when you and your BF move in in January?

• Options
    She does have a job, she works 30 hours a week at a clothing store. I've noticed her spending money on fast food a lot when she could just buy groceries instead. And apparently, she can't pay a portion or any of it, really. 

But this doesn't affect me financially. This apartment complex is like a college dorm. The leasing office is responsible for putting people together in an apartment, trying to match them to good roommates. So if my roommate were to up and leave right now, it wouldn't affect me. I don't have to scramble and pay her part of the rent or utilities. And vice versa. So me leaving in January will not affect her financially. The leasing office would simply try to replace me with another girl. This is what I like about individual leases, you don't have to worry about your roommate not paying her bills. 
  • Options
    Oh and I could probably deal with it being set at 75, I would just buy extra fans. But anything above 75 is too much. I would actually prefer it at like 73 or below but I am trying to compromise. 
  • Options
    So what will happen if she just refuses to pay any part of the electric bill?

• Options
    Yikes, that's no fun.  I agree with bethsmiles--you need to set boundaries.  If you stop bailing her out, she'll stop expecting you to.  Arrange to sit down and have a chat about the utilities and how she's going to afford them.  If you can't afford to keep your apartment below 78-degrees, you can't afford an apartment, especially with how reasonably priced yours is.  If she doesn't work, maybe she needs to start looking for a job, and if she does, she may want to consider picking up more hours...
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I'm really not sure. My guess is that she will end up in a fight with the leasing office and they will slap a bunch of fees on her for not paying it. She said her mom will be calling the office on Tuesday and start raising hell to get out of paying it. 

It SHOULDN'T affect me at all. I've had a previous roommate who was very late on her rent and it didn't affect me at all. But with this new policy...oh and I forgot to mention, the leasing office is now under a new property management company and they are the ones who initiated this new policy, which takes effect now. 
  • Options
    I lived with a girl for about six months who was crazy about the AC being set to 80 in the summer so I feel your pain. Since it is individual leases you could always go and talk to the apartment manager and ask for their input. They may have some sort of solution! 

Living with a random roommate can be tricky in these kinds of situations. Sometimes offering advice, like with the fast food and groceries, can cause tension but I think it'd be a good idea to mention that to her next time she asks for food. If you genuinely don't mind letting her have some every once in a while then let her know that, but remind her that she's living on her own like an adult and that she needs to be more careful with her money. One of my roommates and I like to work on a personal budget, so maybe you could offer to help her come up with a budget to help her out. 
  • Options
    Boundaries. Boundaries, boundaries, boundaries. You're her roommate, not her mom. I'd be inclined to let her get into a few sticky situations just so she learns to take care of herself.

I might not be a nice person.
  • Options
    Boundaries. Boundaries, boundaries, boundaries. You're her roommate, not her mom. I'd be inclined to let her get into a few sticky situations just so she learns to take care of herself.

I might not be a nice person.
    THIS.  I wouldn't put up with it if you are in a situation where the two of you aren't officially co-signed on the lease.  I know you want to be nice but be nice and straightforward at the same time.  As I mentioned before, sit down and have a talk with her if you feel like you are a friend to her but don't let her "mom" you. 
  • Options
    I agree with Stitches for sure. You're not her mom and not responsible to bail her out or make yourself uncomfortable so she has a place to live. Doesn't mean you have to be heartless or unsympathetic, but you've got to look out for you.

In this situation, all you really have to say is, "No, I physically cannot live in 78-80 heat. I could do 75 with some extra fans, but that's it." I honestly wouldn't even offer that compromise because it sounds like she has gotten into enough unexpected situations that you would still end up helping her out from time to time. Either she can afford it or she can't, and it is up to her and her family to figure out how to deal with it. Hopefully she appreciates that you have a good relationship as roommates and will make the necessary changes to her budget in order to allow for her to stay; it is damn hard to find roommates you get along with!
  • Options
    Oh, my BF had a good point: did you have a long-term lease agreement under the old company? Because unless you signed off that now you're paying the electric bill, I'm not so sure they can just tell you that you are now responsible for electric. That's a change in the lease - apartments can make changes in the lease, but I think you usually have to sign off on paperwork.

Check the laws in your state.
  • Options
    Oh, my BF had a good point: did you have a long-term lease agreement under the old company? Because unless you signed off that now you're paying the electric bill, I'm not so sure they can just tell you that you are now responsible for electric. That's a change in the lease - apartments can make changes in the lease, but I think you usually have to sign off on paperwork.

Check the laws in your state.
    I was wondering about this as well...if they have a lot of college students it seems like this change could cause problems for more than just your roommate.

• Options
    I don't have any great advice to add other than what's already been said, but I have had to bail out one of my housemates (we live in a 3 BR/BT apt all paid by our company) but she is a few years older than me (I'm 29, she's 32) although I kinda feel like she's like your 19 year old roomie sometimes!! She can afford things herself but she is so forgetful and noodlebrained that I have lent her my uniform on numerous occasions and even mad dashed to the airport (we are flight attendants) in the early AM when she forgot one of her ID cards...

Anyhow, I feel ya, we are friends so I help out but it's beginning to make me resent her.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards