Pennsylvania-Pittsburgh
Options

First Dance Song!!

Hi Ladies!!

Just curious... what did everyone chose, or are you choosing, for your first dance song? father/daughter? mother/son?

It has been a subject of much debate between FI and I! I know we have while to decide, but I'm just trying to get ideas!! TIA!

Re: First Dance Song!!

• Options
    CLW102409CLW102409 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Our first dance song was to "I'll be there for you by Bon Jovi".  Probably not the most played song for a first dance! If you listen to the lyrics, to me it was more of a break up - should've done this during - sort of song.  However, it was the song playing in the background the first time DH told me he loved me, so the song has a special meaning for us.  F/D song was Cinderella by Steven Curtis Chapman.  I am drawing a blank on what song was played for the M/S dance. 
    image Ivory
  • Options
    LaFemmeRousseLaFemmeRousse member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Oh man, we have NO idea what we're using.  We want to pick something a little out of the norm and we have like 20 options written down and no decision.

Not sure about M/S, but my dad wants to do "Forever Young" for the F/D dance, which I think is adorable :)

Pittsburgh sig: Favorite thing about fall= college football!
    Vacation
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    First dance: Tonight, Tonight by Smashing Pumpkins
    Father/daughter: Talkin' Baseball by Terry Cashman
    Mother/son: cannot remember, it was some cheesy song that you can tell was written for this type of dance but MIL picked it out and DH went along to make her happy

Vacation

• Options
    edited December 2011
    First dance song was 'Forever' by Ben Harper.  Father/Daughter was 'As' by Stevie Wonder. Sptefather/daughter was 'Somewhere Over the Rainbow' sung by Eva Cassidy.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Good post G!

Our first danc song is going to be something by DMB.  I'm leaning towards "You and Me" - the Grammy performance (as performed on Sunday night).

We've not decided F/D song or M/S song yet.  I'm going to let my dad decide the song, but we've not talked about it. 

Favorite Thing About Fall- Fall Foods, apple pie, pumpkin cookies, apple cider... YUM!

Planning Bio

• Options
    edited December 2011

First Dance - Lovely Tonight by Joshua Radin & Ingrid Michaelson (I actually think I got the idea from someone on this board?)
    Father/Daughter - The Way You Look Tonight - James Taylor Version

Mother/Son - What a Wonderful World

• Options
    LisaS1010LisaS1010 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    First Dance - Can't Take My Eyes Off You by Lady Antebellum
    Not sure of the other ones yet!
    Lisa and Karl - 10/16/2010
    Photobucket
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    our song: Chasing Cars by Snow Patrol
    FD song: butterfly kisses (totally predictable, but I asked my Dad to pick, and he said this one makes him tear up, so I like it!)
    MS song: dunno yet, but FMIL said she wants something very short...lol- w/e
  • Options
    gmc22gmc22 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Great ideas everyone!

I wanted something different for us too, but it's so hard b/c we never really had a "song" so trying to pick one out of the blue is difficult!!

Some tentative ideas I have for first dance:
    Ingrid Michaelson - The way I am
    Bon Jovi - thank you for loving me
    Aerosmith - dont want to miss a thing (cheesy I know, but Aerosmith is special to us :) )
    I also like the new Boys Like Girls - 'two is better than one' song

FI is pretty adament on wanting something 'newer'... so it's going to be hard settling on what to use!!

For the F/D dance, I want Jessica Simpson's - You don't have to let go - she wrote it for her F/D dance at her wedding and the lyrics are so beautiful - I almost cry every time I hear it... my dad, however, wants 'the way you look tonight' - father of the bride style! haha so we'll see how that goes!

As for the M/S - I'm going to leave that one up to FI and FMIL... I might throw in some suggestions though... :)

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Our first dance song was "Amazed" by Lonestar- it's our song. We used "You Raise Me Up" by Josh Groban for the father-daughter dance- incredibly beautiful song, perfect for that dance! DH danced to "I Hope You Dance" by Leann Womack (sp?) with his mom- another nice pick.

You may also want to check out weddingwire.com for ideas- they have music suggestions for everything from ceremony to reception. I used that site a lot for ideas.
  • Options
    reannalynnereannalynne member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We used the first part of "The Hazards of Love Part 4 (The Drowned)" by The Decemberists. For f/d we used "Lullaby(Goodnight My Angel)" by Billy Joel, and for the m/s dance we used "You Raise Me Up" by John Groban. They aren't a really touchy feely lovey family, and MIL wanted to use something by my chemical romance and them mosh (they are a weird family) but GMIL vetoed that and said to use josh groban. I just thought it would have been hysterical if they did mosh in the spotlight, since they are both fairly shy people.
  • Options
    hey_its_jennhey_its_jenn member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    First Dance Song - Bella Note from The Lady and the Tramp (it's got a special meaning for us)

F/D Dance  - I used JennyBee's suggestion of Billy Joel's "(Goodnight my Angel) Lullaby" and it was amazingly perfect

M/S Dance - they went with 'What a Wonderful World' by Louie Armstrong.  The DJ suggested it and DH said 'sure. okay'. lol

Married 9/19/09
    Me: 27 // DH: 31
    TTC # 1 Since October 2010 (Not preventing since 2009)

October 2012: DH Dx: Testicular Cancer -- Left Orchiectomy
    December 2012: F/U CT Scan -- All clean!
    January 2013: Starting the adoption process!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I think you can basically do whatever you want.  FI and I don't knwo what our first dance will be yet but we LOVE the song "breath me" by Sia which is kind of a sad song, but we both love the melody.  FOr F/D we are doing "Daddy's little girl"...FI's mother is deceased so we won't have a M/S dance.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Our first dance: "Everything" by Lifehouse

Father/Daughter dance: "My Little Girl" by Tim  McGraw

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Our FD will either be In Your Eyes by Peter Gabriel or Someone Like You by Van Morrison. My dad picked My Wish by Rascal Flatts and we have no idea what the M/S song will be. I'm leaving that one up to him.
    image.
    BabyName Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm late, so I'll just chime in on 2 songs that are different. The mother / son one was That's What Mammas Do by Jason Matthews, and then father/daughter was Angel In My Arms. I have both mp3s if anyone is interested - just page me!
    August Siggy Challenge- Wedding Must Have - sleigh cake stand Bio updated 04/05/10.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    ashleyandcjashleyandcj member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    FD- We aren't 100% sure but we think When you love someone by Brian Adams.

The M/D dance is up in the air but I am most likely dancing with my dad to either My girl or Tim McGraw my little girl.  TEARS!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    First Dance--Better Together by Jack Johnson
    Father/Daughter--It Won't Be Like This For Long by Darius Rucker
    Mother/Son--I Hope You Dance by LeeAnn Womack
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Late to this, but we used:

FD: Bless the Broken Road, Carrie Underwood version.  It has a very special meaning to us.  (And was pretty funny since we danced right after intros and we had been announced to Kelly Clarkson's My Life Would Suck Without You.  A very abrupt change of musical styles).

F/D - Kenny Rodger's The Gambler (long story and I actually danced with my brother since my father's not really mobile)

M/S - You Are My Sunshine (the dj picked out a version since MIL and DH couldn't find a specific one that they wanted to use, and it ended up sounded like a dirge.  I found it hilarious.)
  • Options
    LaFemmeRousseLaFemmeRousse member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Shannon, I PPH you for using the word "dirge" :)

Pittsburgh sig: Favorite thing about fall= college football!
    Vacation
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Late to this...

First Dance: The Luckiest by Ben Folds - it is a really special song for DH and I.

Mother/Son - Somewhere over the rainbow (50 First Dates Version)

Uncle/Niece - Goodnight My Angel - Billy Joel (As Jenn mentioned, this was SUCH a perfect song. I really loved it!)

Dave & Jennifer 10.18.08
    My Doha Adventures
  • Options
    elishanbelishanb member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm super late to this but I may as well add my 2 cents.

Our first dance is going to be True Love Ways by Buddy Holly

We were joking the other night about changing it to Do You Want To Know A Secret by The Beatles, because we dated for a for a year in secret, but I'm sure we are sticking with the buddy Holly song.

We're not having a Father/Daughter dance or a Mother/Son dance.
    image.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards