Pennsylvania-Pittsburgh
Options

This is a $ question.

You have been warned, haha.

If someone said to you, "If you need help, ask for it" regarding money for the wedding, what would you say?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: This is a $ question.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Wow.  Rough question.

I think it would depend on how close this person was to me.  If they were super close and really wanted to help, I might be able to be specific about an item to help purchase.

If I didn't know them well... I would feel somewhat awkward!  I would probably say I appreciated it and probably turn it down.  If they also seemed to really want to help, I might think of some way they could donate time/services if they were very eager.

Sooo... I'm not sure how I'm going to answer the poll officially.  LoL.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    pantherRNpantherRN member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Megs, think very close immediate family.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We are working from the school of thought, if we can't afford it, then we don't buy it. There are so many things to do with money--house upgrades/repairs, vacation, savings/investments, etc. I can't understand the need to purchase things that we cannot afford.

Personally, I would not ask someone to help me pay for something. If it were a gift that they wanted to contribute, that is a bit different. My parents are going to contribute in some way, but I am planning this wedding as if we are paying for everything--their gift will be icing on the cake!

Everyone has their own preferences when it comes to money, so I wish you the best of luck as you decide what to do! :-)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    If it's a very close family memeber-a parent, sibling, etc., I think I would ask for specific help.  Especially if they told you to ask for help.  If they hadn't said anything I probobly wouldn't ask, but since they told you to ask for help, I'd find something like flowers, or cake, or even DIY items, and ask if they could help you with them.  That way they get to choose how much they give you.  If flowers are $1000 and you say I need some help with the flowers they are 1K, then the person can choose to give you $500 or $1000.
  • Options
    gmc22gmc22 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree w/ pp... I would say if it is a very close family member then I wouldn't hesitate asking for help (esp. if they told you to). It's just hard for me to answer this b/c I'm super close w/ my family and I wouldn't have any problem whatsoever asking for their help... but if you're not that close, I don't know how I would approach it. 26 had a great idea about the flowers (or whatever you would like help with)... if you phrase it that way then it leaves it open ended for them to contribute what they would like.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    If its a close family member talk to them.  Say you'd love his/her help and ask them what HE/SHE had in mind.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards