Pennsylvania-Pittsburgh
Options

Ettiquette - invites for adult "children"

I dug out the guest list my mom gave me and realized that she has Aunt / Uncle & family. The -& family- part is for my two cousins. One is 28 and the other is 30, and they both still live at home.

My mom is telling me to send only one invite to the address for the family. I'm not sure what to do. I feel like they are adults and should get their own invite, but is it weird to send three invites to the same address? I know that neither of them will be bringing a date unless some miracle happens in the next eight months. (this is an odd family, I swear)

And then I have some cousins that are in college, but they spend their summers / breaks home with their parents. Should I send them a separate invite, or include them with the parents?

image.
BabyName Ticker

Re: Ettiquette - invites for adult "children"

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Etiquette dictates that anyone over the age of 18 gets their own invite, even if you send multiples to the same house.

I know it seems silly, but that's what i did too!
  • Options
    New_to_PGHNew_to_PGH member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We sent all 18years+ invitees their own invite - you never know if they're going to have the same schedule as their parents.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I agree- I'm planning on sending anyone in college their own invite- even if its to the same house.

but wow- 28 and 30 and they still live with their parents?! I dont want to judge, but umm... they must be saving a lot of money on rent! (me backpedaling lol)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Yep, I agree with the PPs.  18 and over get their own invites - we sent 4 to DH's aunt's house for their girls.  And I would invite them with guests, even though they most likely will not bring one.

I sent anyone with a temporary address (either college or had the potential to move soon without a lot of notice) to their parents.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Happy Birthday, little man. We love you so much!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Search & Win
    My favorite money saving tip: I've earned more than $300 in gift cards (Amazon, Starbucks, Southwest!) using SwagBucks for internet searching - and you can too! It's FREE and EASY!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Excellent point about schedules! I never thought about that. Thank you!

Sara, no backpedaling necessary. The 28yo is working on her 14th drivers permit and they both work part time as bank tellers. I blame it on Nickelodeon. When we were kids, I made them play The Simpsons board game with me. My Aunt & Uncle threw a fit because they were only allowed to watch Nick, nothing else. They didn't come over to play much after that.
    image.
    BabyName Ticker
  • Options
    LaFemmeRousseLaFemmeRousse member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Agreed- all 18+ get their own invites, even to the same house.

Haha, I was only allowed to watch basically Nickelodeon (definitely no Simpsons!) as a kid, and I think I turned out ok ;)

Pittsburgh sig: Favorite thing about fall= college football!
    Vacation
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_pennsylvania-pittsburgh_ettiquette-invites-adult-children?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:116Discussion:8d17cf0f-7985-4f4a-af12-06d8f22d9fb4Post:019d02b0-29c8-42cb-ad43-3707a9a2e742">Re: Ettiquette - invites for adult "children"</a>:
    [QUOTE]Haha, I was only allowed to watch basically Nickelodeon (definitely no Simpsons!) as a kid, and I think I turned out ok ;)
    Posted by LaFemmeRousse[/QUOTE]

Um, ditto.  Actually, there was a lot of Nickelodeon that we weren't allowed to watch!  It was mostly the Disney channel.  ;)

And I hate the Simpsons to this day!

Search & Win
    My favorite money saving tip: I've earned more than $300 in gift cards (Amazon, Starbucks, Southwest!) using SwagBucks for internet searching - and you can too! It's FREE and EASY!
  • Options
    d78d78
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yeah, I didn't do separate invites (at least I don't *think* I did...that was a year ago!), but that's ok. I already knew my wedding was invalid. ;-) It was more me being lazy.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm just jealous I never got to watch Nick as a kid. Cable wasn't available in our area until I was 15. Instead we had a huge antenna on the roof and like 10 channels.
    image.
    BabyName Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_pennsylvania-pittsburgh_ettiquette-invites-adult-children?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:116Discussion:8d17cf0f-7985-4f4a-af12-06d8f22d9fb4Post:9e364cc7-ba00-4c2b-9ae4-7909c4680e82">Re: Ettiquette - invites for adult "children"</a>:
    [QUOTE]Yeah, I didn't do separate invites (at least I don't *think* I did...that was a year ago!), but that's ok. I already knew my wedding was invalid. ;-) It was more me being lazy.
    Posted by d78[/QUOTE]

OMG, D!  You broke a major etiquette rule.  I really expected more from you.  ;)

Search & Win
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Hey, I lived at home until I was 28!  That's why I was able to buy my own house when I moved out.  :)

I didn't send seperate invites either, so D and I can go to wedding he!! together.  My cousin was 23 and lived with my uncle, he would not have cared about getting his own invite.  I sent a seperate invite to my 21 year old cousin because she likes to get mail at college.  However, she got the special invitation that didn't have the invite glued into the pocketfold!  It just included the inserts.   We had a good laugh over that one.
    Pregnancy Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards