Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Registry Woes

This is a bit of a rant, if that's cool.

My fiance and I registered the other day at Macy's.  I want to start off by saying how uncomfortable I was doing this.  My fiance and I already live together, so it's not like we want or need a ton of stuff.  It also feels...a bit gift-grabby...like I expect gifts from people.  We did it though because we know older family members love (for whatever reason) shopping for wedding gifts and because I almost feel like saying to someone, "We don't have a registry," is like asking for cash by process of elimination.  Point of this paragraph:  I was pretty uncomfortable.

Anywho,  Macy's is pretty ubiquitous, so we decided to create our registry there.  When we arrived, the man running the counter was new and had no idea what he was doing.  God love him he tried, but he was useless.  No bigs though.  He said his supervisor was at lunch and was due back from lunch in 10 minutes.  Thirty minutes later she saunters in and frankly, could not have given a single fluck.  She curtly asked us a few questions and then thrust the gun in my hands before turning her back on us and walking away.  Fiance and I shrugged it off and figured, whatever, and went about our gun-toting business.  When we were finished, she was nowhere to be found.  I kid you not, it took 15 minutes for us to hunt her down.  She was  just standing in a corner behind a display.  It was really bizarre.  Anyway, I asked her for a print-out of the registry.  She pointed vaguely in space and said, "Go print it there."  So, F and I hunted down the kiosk and typed in our names.  She had created 10 registries for us.  None of them had the right date either...  How hard could it be to create a registry?  When you're a supervisor in that department?!  She told us we'd have to search through each one ourselves until we found the right one and she disappeared again.  We finally found it and walked back to the registry station with the printout.  She thrust a torn piece of paper with a phone number on it in my hands.  "Call that number and have them delete the other registries."  I asked her nicely (and honestly, I was super proud of how well I held my temper) if she would fix it for us.  "I have a lot of things I have to and I can't."  I looked around; we were the only ones there.  I just shook my head and left.

You'd think it ended there.  Nope.  I called the number the next day and it took 20 minutes (surprise surprise) to get a hold of a person.  The woman on the phone (super sweet and helpful) asked me for my registry number.  I didn't know what it was.  She told me to look it up on the receipt the registry clerk gave me.  I never got one.  Fun fact:  if you don't have a print out from the counter, it doesn't fully create the registry.  Anger.  Anyway.  Forty-five minutes later, we had everything finally worked out.  

At this point, I was fuming though (Irish temper).  I decided to call the Macy's story and, as calmly as possible, let the store manager know what I had experienced.  The woman I spoke to (several levels up) was so sweet and absolutely horrified (or at least she played the part well, but I think it was actually genuine).  She apologized profusely and let me know that she would have the store director or something of that ilk call me to get the entire story.  I thanked her and told her I appreciated it.  No one should have to jump through the hoops I did to give a story business.

That was 2 weeks ago and I still haven't heard a word.  I'm not going to hold my breath.  Did anyone else have to go through this with creating a registry?  I went to Bed Bath & Beyond the next day (for the people not near a Macy's) and they were FANTASTIC.

Re: Registry Woes

• Options
    Oh!  I forgot to mention my question too.  My aunt is planning a bridal shower.  I am seriously considered deleting this registry and going somewhere else.  Is it rude to do that if she has already passed around to people that we registered at Macy's?  
  • Options
    We too had an amazing experience with Bed Bath and Beyond. They walked us around and were helpful with every question. Target was another story. It wasn't bad per say, and definitely not your experience, but the lady basically pointed us to a kiosk to sign ourselves up because she didn't have many employees around to help her with customers (not her fault). We signed ourselves up, were handed a scanner and sent on our way. We never got a printout that day because nobody helped us when we returned (just sent to the kiosk again where our password didn't work for some reason) so I just went home and looked at it. Like I said, not a bad experience, just not helpful. I am sorry you had so much trouble. As for the Macy's one, if you already told a bunch of people where you registered, I'd say stick with it to eliminate the hassle of correcting them. Maybe leave the registry open but only mention the BBB one when people ask from now on? Or pass it on to a friend or family member that you prefer the BBB one and hope she passes the info along?
  • Options
    What a horrid experience :(  I think if you've already mentioned the Macy's list you are best sticking with it though.  

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Ugh.  Thanks.  I figured I should probably stick with it, but it irks me to bring them business.  Oh well.
  • Options
    I think you should keep the Macy's registry. Yes, you had a bad experience at your store, but that's just one store in a huge national (international?) brand. We registered at Macy's and actually had to fight the rep to leave us alone she was so attentive. 
  • Options
    I just have to say, the two times FI has accompanied me to macy's (granted, it's in Herald Square and insane) I have left in tears for similar reasons. So, we skipped that one :)
  • Options

How many people has your aunt told?  If it's only a few I might delete most of the items you can find elsewhere and just leave Macy's as a small registry; so those your aunt told could find something, but most of your stuff is at BB&B (or elsewhere).  While, yes, other Macy's stores no doubt have much better customer service you'll still be dealing with your own Macy's on any duplicates / returns / exchanges (which I think happens to just about everyone); so I'd want to deal with them as little as possible.

Also, if shower invites haven't gone out yet you could have her put just the BB&B one on there, so even people she verbally told might be more inclined to go the BB&B.

• Options
    Ugh. That's rough. I'd keep the Macy's registry, though, to prevent confusion among the guests. But feel free to go through and skimp it down - I sure would.
  • Options
    Ugh.  Thanks.  I figured I should probably stick with it, but it irks me to bring them business.  Oh well.

I would go on and edit the registry online and delete some of the items. WIth less items to choose from your guests may perfer the BBB one then.

Anniversary
  • Options
    I decided to keep the Macy's registry, but I moved about 2/3 of the items from that registry to BBB. Thanks ladies!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards