Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Invititation Etiquette

My fiance and I have several mutual friends who are now dating--one being a groomsmen. How should we address the invitation? We were thinking Groomsmen & Guest assuming he will bring his current girlfriend (our mutual friend). They have been dating for about two years now. I don't want to offend her, or heavens forbid they break up and then she feels like she isn't invited. We are planning on inviting "& Guest" for the bridal party and friends we know are in serious relationships. I don't know if it's proper to send them an invitation individually, or how we should do it?

Re: Invititation Etiquette

• Options
    NYCMercedesNYCMercedes member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited June 2013
    mleedpitt said:
    My fiance and I have several mutual friends who are now dating--one being a groomsmen. How should we address the invitation? We were thinking Groomsmen & Guest assuming he will bring his current girlfriend (our mutual friend). They have been dating for about two years now. I don't want to offend her, or heavens forbid they break up and then she feels like she isn't invited. We are planning on inviting "& Guest" for the bridal party and friends we know are in serious relationships. I don't know if it's proper to send them an invitation individually, or how we should do it?

You can either add her name to his invitation or send her one separately. At any rate, her name must be on the (inner) envelope. ETA, how would you feel if your FI received an invitation and it had "Guest" instead of your name on it. "Guest" is only for when you are giving a plus one. Otherwise, each SO must have their name on an invitation.
  • Options
    All you need to do is for anyone who considers themselves in a relationship, just add their SO's name onto the invitation.
    If there are people who you don't know their name, or you're not sure they are in a relationship, just ask them. :)
    Only do "and guest" for truly single guests were you're allowing them to bring a +1. Just invite all the bf/gfs by name.
  • Options

Assuming no inner envelopes you should address the invitations as follows:

Any/all of your guests in a relationship:

Groomsman Jim
    Girlfriend Sara
    123 Main St.
    Anytown, WI 12345

Your guests who are not seeing anyone but you want them to bring someone of their choosing:

Groomsman Bill and Guest
    456 Main St.
    WhereElse, OH 54682

• Options
    Ok so:

1) If they live together, list as
    GM's name
    GM's GF's name
    Mutual address

2) If they spend more time at her place (like he stays there more than half the nights of a month) and you are equally close with both of them send it to:
    GM's GF's name
    GM's name
    her address

OR
    If they spend more time at his place (like she stays there more than half the nights of a month) and you are equally close with both of them send it to:

GM's name
    GM's GF's name
    his address

To err on the side of caution, send it to him and then give her a heads up the next time y'all hang out that it should be heading to his mailbox and you are excited to see here there.
     Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    CallaLily25CallaLily25 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited June 2013
    Ok so:

1) If they live together, list as
    GM's name
    GM's GF's name
    Mutual address

2) If they spend more time at her place (like he stays there more than half the nights of a month) and you are equally close with both of them send it to:
    GM's GF's name
    GM's name
    her address

OR
    If they spend more time at his place (like she stays there more than half the nights of a month) and you are equally close with both of them send it to:

GM's name
    GM's GF's name
    his address

To err on the side of caution, send it to him and then give her a heads up the next time y'all hang out that it should be heading to his mailbox and you are excited to see here there.

Ditto this. Before FI and I lived together, invitations for us from mutual friends came to my place (he stayed at mine most of the time) and were addressed to both of us.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I'd write her name on the invite, and send it to GM, since he's the "primary" guest.  (I worded that awkwardly, but I hope you know what I mean :)
  • Options
    Thank you!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards