Pennsylvania-Pittsburgh
Options

Sister Wives

Has anyone watched this? I caught the last half of an episode last night. It's a very odd lifestyle (to me anyways). The one woman Christy (who I actually really like!) commented that she always wanted to have sister wives and that she never wanted to be a man's only wife. I can't imagine the jealously issues I would have, let alone trust issues!  And the Kids! There are are 12 kids between the 3 wives and husband.
And now the husband is "courting" another woman who he wants to be his wife!

Def an interesting show

Re: Sister Wives

• Options
    gmc22gmc22 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    ummm yeah, I haven't watched this but have read about it online. I totally agree! I can't understand the lifestyle - I would be SUPER jealous! Regardless, I may tune in just to see what it's all about

Oh and I read on people.com or something that the guy on the show is getting investigated for charges of felony bigamy! Crazy...
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Yep.  I heard on the radio he was being investigated.  They said he knows what he was getting himself into and that he just wanted his story heard (a.k.a he wanted to make lots of money off of TLC!!)

I'd be insanely jealous.  I think it's demeaning to women.  But I'll probably keep watching it in amazement!  LoL!  I like Christy, too!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Gosh, I'd love a sister wife around here.  And I'll gladly share DH.  ;)

I'm currently taking applications - you must love doing dishes and floors though, because I hate them.  :P
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Happy Birthday, little man. We love you so much!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Search & Win
    My favorite money saving tip: I've earned more than $300 in gift cards (Amazon, Starbucks, Southwest!) using SwagBucks for internet searching - and you can too! It's FREE and EASY!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I figure these women are adults and knew what they were getting into when they "married" him.  I don't understand the bigamy investigation because he's only legally married to his first wife, at least from what it showed on the show.  

A lot of the comments on the show seem to be that they should be stigmatized for their family.  My take on it is that the kids seem to be well cared for and their father is in the picture.  Way better than the deadbeat dads who have multiple kids with multiple women and never spend any time or give any money to them.

Not the lifestyle that I would choose, but to each their own.
  • Options
    dbpsu18dbpsu18 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011

On second thought, KRM, you have a point.

I would sacrifice some time with DF for a sister wife who would:
    -do all the dusting
    -vaccum and mop the floors
    -fold and put away laundry, including bed sheets and towels
    -take care of the trash if DF isn't around to do it

• Options
    Ash2985Ash2985 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think, SLM, the approach is that they may be common law married and that's the problem.  I also think it's just a result of outcry and that's why the police are investigating.

I think it's totally fine if they are grown women who are making an informed decision.  I have no problem with polyamory, certainly.  However, a lot of women (Mormons, particularly) are raised and pushed into this at a very early age, which I do have a problem with.  It doesn't seem that way with these women, and hopefully it's not.  I couldn't handle it.

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I hadn't thought about common law since common law marriages do not exist in most states anymore, so you may have a point.
  • Options
    Er&JerLemEr&JerLem member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    lol, KR!  So true!

IMO, whatever floats your boat.  I personally wouldn't want to do it.  And S makes a good point - these kids seem to be better taken care of than a lot of others out there, the women all seem to be fine and happy with the situation, so if it works, then leave them be.

I've seen things a lot more disturbing than this on tv.
  • Options
    jrsygrl10jrsygrl10 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    do they reside in a state that recognizes common law marriages?

my understanding was that they were investigating for things like insurance fraud and such, since only the first (only legal) wife is actually entitled to benefits.
  • Options
    ros3392ros3392 member
    edited December 2011
    I caught the first half of this last night as well. Very strange.... I kind of feel bad for the kids, because they are probably under the impression that is a normal relationship and it is not. Hopefully they are not pushed into that type of marriage.
  • Options
    dbpsu18dbpsu18 member
    edited December 2011
    Per the Utah State legislature website they do recognize common law marriages.

http://le.utah.gov/~code/TITLE30/htm/30_01_000405.htm
    http://www.utcourts.gov/howto/marriage/

• Options
    jrsygrl10jrsygrl10 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    huh. then i'm sure that is posing a potential issue for them. i didn't tune in-how long have the wives been with him?
  • Options
    ros3392ros3392 member
    edited December 2011
    I think the first wife was 20 some year ago then 17 then 15... somewhere around there.
  • Options
    dbpsu18dbpsu18 member
    edited December 2011
    Yea they were saying on the show that there hasn't been a "courtship" for 16 years... sooo at least that long.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I watched the show and I loved how the middle wife basically wanted nothing to do with being a mom.  All she said she wanted to do was work.  She is so happy that her 6 kids are being taken care of by the other sister wives.  Her oldest son even cooks breakfast for all of her children in the morning. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards