Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Babysitting services for guests?

Im almost done designing our wedding website and I must say you guys have been a great resource!!! Thank you!!!! I have another question :) Some of our OOT guests will have newborns (2) and a toddler (not sure if anymore). A few months ago, I spoke to one of the moms (my cousin) and asked if she wanted me to arrange for childcare. Another bridesmaid daughter (and friends) are great sitters and will sit on site. My cousin told me that would be great.

I am going to mention that babyshitting will be available and was hoping they could indicate their desire on our wedsite but its not set up for that type of interaction. Obviously I need to know in advance so I can "reserve" enough sitters. Any suggestions? Is it proper to send a card with the STD asking them to notify me if they desire a sitter? If I wait, should I put an info card in with invites, with a response card?

Also, if I am making these arrangements available, who would you say is expected to compensate the sitters?

tinkerbell gif photo: Tinkerbell stuck in keyhole animated gif Peterpan2_coince9e.gif

Re: Babysitting services for guests?

• Options
    I have no idea about any of the other stuff but if you are providing the sitters you should pay them.

• Options
    Lol repeatedly at babyshiting.

Anyway, I honestly wouldn't worry about child care - it is not required. Most parents I know aren't going to trust their kids to a random friend of a friend anyway. Parents have their own babysitting systems.

Don't send anything with the invites or STD's. If parents need help with child care, they can just ask you.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    LAM2228 said:
    Im almost done designing our wedding website and I must say you guys have been a great resource!!! Thank you!!!! I have another question :) Some of our OOT guests will have newborns (2) and a toddler (not sure if anymore). A few months ago, I spoke to one of the moms (my cousin) and asked if she wanted me to arrange for childcare. Another bridesmaid daughter (and friends) are great sitters and will sit on site. My cousin told me that would be great.

I am going to mention that babyshitting will be available and was hoping they could indicate their desire on our wedsite but its not set up for that type of interaction. Obviously I need to know in advance so I can "reserve" enough sitters. Any suggestions? Is it proper to send a card with the STD asking them to notify me if they desire a sitter? If I wait, should I put an info card in with invites, with a response card?

Also, if I am making these arrangements available, who would you say is expected to compensate the sitters?
    Did no one else catch this?

Anyway, I'm thinking of doing the same thing. Pretty soon I'm going to reach out to the family and see if any of them would be interested in an on-site sitter. If any of them are, then we'll arrange it and pay for it. We will have a top shelf hosted bar and I want them to be able to pawn their kids off for awhile (if they choose).

Anniversary

• Options
    I caught that! LOL! Talk about a Freudian slip.

I probably would just contact the parents in question by word of mouth and not put anything in your invitations. 

But any amenities you provide, including babysitting, really need to be at your expense. Don't expect the guests to pay for it-otherwise, they may well just feel like choosing their own babysitter.  And lots of times parents prefer to do that rather than use someone they don't know.
  • Options
    LAM524LAM524 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Answer Name Dropper
    @Dreamgirl882..LMAO...great eyes!  Sorry everyone...it must have been a Freudian slip of the finger!! Thanks everyone. If we provide services, we will pay. I will just call the guests that will be coming with their little ones.

This may be terrible but I soooo hope they choose the sitter. Ive already had a huge argument with a relative because I had to correct her when she told me that her son will see me "next May!" We are trying to have a "kid free zone."

Of course infants are different but knowing this relative who literally attacked me personally via text ALL WEEKEND, if and when she sees another child there she WILL cause a scene! Yup..she told me that she felt sorry for me because I have such a "harsh heart"  and that I have a year to figure out how to invite her son (when I told her why we had to have a cut off)!

Jen4948 said:
    I caught that! LOL! Talk about a Freudian slip.

I probably would just contact the parents in question by word of mouth and not put anything in your invitations. 

But any amenities you provide, including babysitting, really need to be at your expense. Don't expect the guests to pay for it-otherwise, they may well just feel like choosing their own babysitter.  And lots of times parents prefer to do that rather than use someone they don't know.

These are out of state guests so they know nobody in our state...well..other then the rest of the family that is also attending.

tinkerbell gif photo: Tinkerbell stuck in keyhole animated gif Peterpan2_coince9e.gif
  • Options
    LAM524LAM524 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Answer Name Dropper
    Oh @lobster1987...trust me, if she didnt attend, I wouldnt miss a thing but she is a "have to" invite. Trust me!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards