Pennsylvania-Pittsburgh
Options

Help me plan dinner for company :)

Anyone want to help me with my menu? We're having FIL, FIL's gf, and B's g-ma over for an early-afternoon dinner on Sunday (oh, and maybe SIL too, if she graces us with her sour precense). G-ma hasn't seen the house since our move in day 2 years ago (whoops!), so I'd rather spend time showing her around than in the kitchn.

Also, FIL has high cholesterol and G-ma is diabetic, so nothinghigh in fat or too sweet.  I'm really afraid to push g-ma's sugar too high (she doesn't watch what she's eating as much as she should)

What I'm thinking so far:
Veggie tray and low-fat dip as an app. I can chop the veggies the night before or in the morning. Oh, and a plate of cheese & Crackers is easy too. FIL's gf has never sen our house either, so I expect them to be walking around more than sitting still.

Dinner:
-I was thinking of chicken&spinach stuffed shells, but with a marinara sauce instead of cream sauce to cut down on the fat. At least I could prep everything Sat night and then pop it in the oven when we're ready to eat
-Some sort of salad
-Loaf of fresh baked bread
-what else?

Dessert:
B's family ALWAYS eats dessert. But again, I'm worried about g-ma. Maybe some berries and whipped cream? Any other fabulous ideas?

Re: Help me plan dinner for company :)

• Options
    lildiva1977lildiva1977 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    No help really, but everything you mentioned sounds fab!!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I think the main dinner sounds like enough with the shells, salad, and bread. As for dessert, I agree- maybe something fruity, like a parfait? Also, how about angel food cake? I'm not sure how much sugar is in that, but I always think of it as a lighter dessert.

Your menu is making me hungry, esp. those shells- I have such a weakness for any and all pasta!
  • Options
    New_to_PGHNew_to_PGH member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Kim, I just googled - apparently fruit-topped angel food cake is a pretty common diabetic dessert idea. Thanks!
  • Options
    LaFemmeRousseLaFemmeRousse member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think the menu sounds great!  I hope it's fun :)

I've made something like this before for a light(er) dessert- you can always use less mascarpone and more berries:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/rachael-ray/sweet-mascarpone-and-berries-with-marsala-recipe2/index.html

Pittsburgh sig: Favorite thing about fall= college football!
    Vacation
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Mmm - that sounds delicious!  
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Happy Birthday, little man. We love you so much!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Search & Win
    My favorite money saving tip: I've earned more than $300 in gift cards (Amazon, Starbucks, Southwest!) using SwagBucks for internet searching - and you can too! It's FREE and EASY!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Oh good, I'm glad I could help! An old family friend was diabetic, so I remember some of the foods we bought and made for get-togethers. LaFemme's recipe also sounds delicious!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    oh! I dont really have any suggestions- but that already sounds so good! Hope everything goes well
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    mmm I am starving now. 
    August Siggy Challenge- Wedding Must Have - sleigh cake stand Bio updated 04/05/10.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    Er/jerEr/jer member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Is G-ma able to eat that much pasta?  Just asking because mine is diabetic and can only eat a very very small amount of pasta (really just has to watch her carb intake in general) in a day.  Hers is fairly severe, but wanted to throw it out there.

I think you have plenty for dinner.  

Here are two desserts I've made before for my G-ma and she loved:
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Hey E, how was J's wisdom teeth removal?
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Happy Birthday, little man. We love you so much!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Search & Win
    My favorite money saving tip: I've earned more than $300 in gift cards (Amazon, Starbucks, Southwest!) using SwagBucks for internet searching - and you can too! It's FREE and EASY!
  • Options
    Er/jerEr/jer member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It went well, KR.  We got home and he drank a smoothie and took some meds.  And he's pretty much been passed out the couch since. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    That menu sounds good Jenn! I have a yummy sausage and cheese stuffed shells recipe from a blog on TN, and it only uses chopped tomatoes on top, instead of tomato sauce. Maybe that would help with the fat content?

http://annies-eats.com/2009/02/27/sausage-and-spinach-stuffed-shells/

I should mention the shells are really good, with sauteed onions and italian sausage, so you don't need a lot of sauce on top. (You could use a sausage veggie substiute to cut down on the fat too, they are not as bad as you might think!)

The meal sounds great! What time should I come over? (I will fly in just for dinner, ha ha).

Dave & Jennifer 10.18.08
    My Doha Adventures
  • Options
    New_to_PGHNew_to_PGH member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    JBee, you are welcome to fly over for dinner. In that case, I'll make sure we've got good wine instead of just the arbor mist g-ma likes to drink :P
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Awww, hooray! Although we are lucky enough to have a liquor license here, and just stocked up on some wine and beer :-)

I just tried a rose called Pink Elephant. It's delicious!

Dave & Jennifer 10.18.08
    My Doha Adventures
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards