Chit Chat

Not Even Remotely Wedding Related Fashion Advice!!!

edited June 2013 in Chit Chat
I just got a job as a first grade teacher and I am so excited about it.... but I just got to thinking that I don't own a lot of clothes for the teaching profession... specifically bottoms.

Here is what I have.

Brown Slacks, Khakis, 2 Black Slacks, a "tweed"  brown slack, an at the knee black skirt, and a little bit above the knee grey skirt, a knee length modest black dress and a blue printed maxi skirt (the kind you get at costco).

Is the Maxi Skirt too casual? or can I dress it up a little bit with like a cardigan or blazer?

Can I wear a knee length dress without leggings or should I wear it with leggings? (I am teaching in the heart of the dessert... so I am not too big into leggings)

What about my two skirts? Are they too short?

What other "wardrobe essentials" (including tops, I have a lot of dressy tops, but not a lot of "outfits") should I start looking for at places like Ross or Goodwill?

Does anyone know of other "cheap" places to buy clothing?

Sorry, I have no mom or sister to ask these questions haha!
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Not Even Remotely Wedding Related Fashion Advice!!!

• I'm going out on a limb based on what I've seen, so take it with a grain of salt. 

I think knee length dresses should be worn with leggings or tights since you'll probably be bending down to help students a lot. I think the maxi skirt is fine. Depending on what other teachers wear, maybe keep it to a casual Friday outfit or not. 

Forever21 and H&M are great places to get inexpensive clothing, but look for pieces with a little bit more substance since their $2 tshirts are definitely a 'get what you pay for' thing. 
  • Congrats on the job!!!

My son's first grade teachers always wore cute outfits. It's first grade so you don't want to look too stern. The bottoms sound fine but maybe match them with bright tops? If it's hot pay attention to material. You want to be comfortable.

I buy a lot of my clothes from Macy's. Their clothes aren't too pricey and they're in style... But not "teenagery" if you know what I mean.

I have no sisters and my mom is horrible so I get it ;) good luck!
  • I'm going out on a limb based on what I've seen, so take it with a grain of salt. 

I think knee length dresses should be worn with leggings or tights since you'll probably be bending down to help students a lot. I think the maxi skirt is fine. Depending on what other teachers wear, maybe keep it to a casual Friday outfit or not. 

Forever21 and H&M are great places to get inexpensive clothing, but look for pieces with a little bit more substance since their $2 tshirts are definitely a 'get what you pay for' thing. 
    Thanks for the advice about Forever21. I was in there shopping recently and was wondering about the quality of their cheapy cheap clothing. $2 is not bad, but I don't want to have a wardrobe malfunction while teaching sentence structure! Haha
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Congrats on the job!!! My son's first grade teachers always wore cute outfits. It's first grade so you don't want to look too stern. The bottoms sound fine but maybe match them with bright tops? If it's hot pay attention to material. You want to be comfortable. I buy a lot of my clothes from Macy's. Their clothes aren't too pricey and they're in style... But not "teenagery" if you know what I mean. I have no sisters and my mom is horrible so I get it ;) good luck!
    Thank you, I am very excited! I am not a stern person, so a 5 piece suit for me would just be weird. Plus I am in a hotter than Hades area most of the year so it would be too warm. Most of my tops are floral or bright. I have a very good relationship with my MIL, but she never tells me like it is, she is always positive so I wanted to get some unbiased advice :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I second going to H&M. Look for lots of breathable shirts and check bending over in the mirror to make sure they're not too revealing... you're going to be kneeling/bending a lot. I buy lots of solid black and solid white v-neck tees from Target (they're on sale this week!) and dress them up with jewelry/scarves. I think you're pretty much set on bottoms. I would wear tights with any skirts or dresses above the knee with that age group. Are you set on shoes? You might consider investing in 2 or 3 pairs of comfy neutral shoes.

Also! The Gap has tons of teaching-appropriate clothes and every couple of weeks they send out 30% or 40% off coupons if you're on their email list.

Congratulations!!
  • Also, I want to add the Loft. Nice quality and they constantly have half off sales. 
  • I second going to H&M. Look for lots of breathable shirts and check bending over in the mirror to make sure they're not too revealing... you're going to be kneeling/bending a lot. I buy lots of solid black and solid white v-neck tees from Target (they're on sale this week!) and dress them up with jewelry/scarves. I think you're pretty much set on bottoms. I would wear tights with any skirts or dresses above the knee with that age group. Are you set on shoes? You might consider investing in 2 or 3 pairs of comfy neutral shoes.

Also! The Gap has tons of teaching-appropriate clothes and every couple of weeks they send out 30% or 40% off coupons if you're on their email list.

Congratulations!!
    OH MY GOODNESS! I didn't even think of shoes. I have a pair of brown loafers, and two pairs of toms and those are the only shoes I have other than flip flops and tennis shoes. Camis and tights are probably going to be something to look into a lot!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Also, I want to add the Loft. Nice quality and they constantly have half off sales. 
    I have never heard of the Loft. I will have to look into it. Thanks
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    This I love the Loft and there is a Loft outlet store by me too.

Anniversary

I have never heard of the Loft. I will have to look into it. Thanks
    I believe they also have a discount for teachers.

• KDM323KDM323 member
    5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    There is a website: www.liketwice.com that is essentially a high end online consignment store. You can find many things there (if you are between a size 2 and a size 16) for less than half retail prices and some are still new with tags. I have purchased from them numerous times and always been happy with my purchases.
    *** Fairy Tales Do Come True *** Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • MobKazMobKaz member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    All great advice thus far, in particular the bending and squatting reminders.

As excited as you are, I would caution about buying too much too soon.  Schools can vary widely from area to area, district to district, and even among schools within the same district.  Take a few weeks to get a feel for the overall "fashion climate" at your particular school.  

Additionally, depending on the HVAC situation in your building, that may dictate your clothing choices just as much.  My building is notorious for being freakishly freezing.  As a result, I have become the "cardigan queen" in terms of having many layering options.  I often find myself throughout the day taking on and off a lightweight cardigan, depending on the cycle of the HVAC system.  My daughters building is the exact opposite and she found herself purchasing more than a typical amount of short sleeved tops.

Although I am older, I personally found it easiest to focus on a mid-casual comfortable slack, and then purchased it in many colors.  It is easier then to concentrate on "mixing up" the upper half of my wardrobe.  You may want to look into a pair of comfortable shoes as well, as you will be on your feet a lot with first graders!  

As PP's suggested, Loft Loves Teachers....as does Ann Taylor, Banana Republic, and J Crew.  Here is a list of other stores that offer teacher discounts.....
  • You mention the desert. In addition to the "figure out your HVAC situation" advice above, I have the following desert specific advice, that I got from my mom (teacher in the desert):

Invest in 100% cotton (or modal or other natural fabrics) clothing. Skip, or at least beware, the poly blends. Because the blends/poly fabrics are really uncomfortable, sticky, and hot when you are hot and sweaty. They don't handle the temperature swings at all well. They also don't breathe as well, which is important when you want your sweat to evaporate.
  • Awesome guys! Thank you so much for all the advice!!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Do you have any outlets by you? I love the Banana Republic and JCrew outlets. Ditto the Loft and Ann Taylor too (and I think they have some teacher discounts)
     Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Congrats on the job!!!

I would also hold off on buying everthing right now. My mom, sister and a couple friends are all teachers and the dress code really depends on the school district. In most cases they have been able to wear maxi dresses/shirts with a dressy top or cardigan. One school district even allows those bright color denim pants that are so popular right now.

As far as stores I would recommend Forever 21, Old Navy, Loft and Kohls.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'm a teacher, and I get a lot of my clothes at Kohl's.  Kohl's has a lot of inexpensive, solid colored tops that I usually dress up with a scarf, cardigan, or jewelry. Famous Footwear and Rogan's Shoes (I'm not sure if Rogan's is nation-wide) oftentimes have buy one get one 1/2 off sales, so I usually get my work shoes there.
  • Thanks all! Great advice!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards