Wedding Party

Should I ask my brother's girlfriend to be in my wedding?

My brother recently started dating one of my best friends of 2 years. I just got engaged. When I was thinking about who I want to be my bridesmaids, she was one of the first people who came to mind. HOWEVER, she and my brother have only been dating for 7 months, and my wedding isn't going to be until next May. If I ask her to be a bridesmaid in my wedding (he is definitely going to be a groomsman), and if they break up between now and then, things could just be really super awkward. Especially if either or both of them bring other dates, etc. Advice??

Re: Should I ask my brother's girlfriend to be in my wedding?

• If you want her as a bridesmaid, just ask her. And think about if they stay together. Wouldn't you be upset that you didn't ask her just because you were afraid of a break up that didn't happen?

Trust your brother and your friend that if things go south, they can move on and behave like adults at your wedding.
  • So she may get "punished" for a what if? 

What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • You should have your nearest and dearest as your bridal party. If you consider her as such, then invite her.

What's the worst that will happen if they break up? You don't have to have them walk next to each other down the aisle. You don't have to seat them together (especially if you do a sweetheart table). They might need to stand near each other and smile for pictures and they might need to stand near each other during the rehearsal. If you don't think they could handle standing near each other like adults for your wedding then I'd rethink having either of them in the bridal party.

It will be fine.
  • auriannaaurianna member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited July 2013
  • If you think you'll still maintain your friendship with her even if/when they break up, you should ask her.  If you think your friendship with her would end with their breakup, you should not.
  • So if her and your brother break-up are you not going to be friends with her any more? Don't worry about their relationship, it doesn't involve you.

What you should think about when picking a BM or MOH is YOUR relationship with that person, not their relationship with anyone else. If this girl is a close friend of yours and you want her in the wedding then ask her. If her and your brother break up I'm sure they can act like adults for one day.

• mlg78mlg78 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    If your wedding isn't until May I'd wait until October or November to ask her anyway...
  • If you were close enough to invite her to be a BM BEFORE she started dating your brother, ask her anyway.
     Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • phiraphira member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    I agree with previous posters--it sounds like this woman was going to be in your bridal party anyway. I also agree with @mlg78: you don't need to ask people to be in the wedding party this soon. Give it a few months.
    Anniversary
    now with ~* INCREASED SASSINESS *~
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards