Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

When to give WP, parents their gifts?

Not much more to this... when should we give our wedding party and our parents the gifts we bought them? Is there a customary time to do this? 
*********************************************************************************

Re: When to give WP, parents their gifts?

• Options
    I've always received my BM gifts at the rehearsal dinner.
  • Options
    I gave my girls their gift the morning of. I tried to give my dad his several times, but any time we were together, I didn't have it with me, so he got it 3 months later. Hahaha!   I wish I had taken it to the rehearsal dinner for him, but I thought there would be time the next day. There wasn't. 

What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    itzMSitzMS member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    Not much more to this... when should we give our wedding party and our parents the gifts we bought them? Is there a customary time to do this? 

Most couples give out WP gifts at the rehearsal dinner.

If you don't have a rehearsal/dinner, you can give them out the morning of the wedding.

We didn't do parents gifts, so I can't give advice on that.

• Options
    If we gave them at the RD, would everyone watch them open the gifts, or would we pull them aside while people are socializing to do this? 

The reason I ask...... I've always been presented with the gift and a little toast from the bride thanking us for standing up in the wedding. FI has never seen anything like that before and he's really uncomfortable of doing it "publicly" (our RD will have our aunts and uncles and select family friends also). I suggested a compromise of having the wedding party arrive to the RD 30 minutes before everyone else and we can present the gifts at that time. Good idea? Bad idea?
    *********************************************************************************

• Options
    itzMSitzMS member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    If we gave them at the RD, would everyone watch them open the gifts, or would we pull them aside while people are socializing to do this? 

The reason I ask...... I've always been presented with the gift and a little toast from the bride thanking us for standing up in the wedding. FI has never seen anything like that before and he's really uncomfortable of doing it "publicly" (our RD will have our aunts and uncles and select family friends also). I suggested a compromise of having the wedding party arrive to the RD 30 minutes before everyone else and we can present the gifts at that time. Good idea? Bad idea?

I've never been "watched" while opening a bridal party gift. In all the weddings I've been in, the couple either places the gift on our chair at the rehearsal dinner, or they just walk around and hand them out at some point during the night.

It doesn't have to be a production. I usually don't unwrap the gift until I get home so it doesn't get lost/dirty.

• Options
    Yeah, the present has usually been waiting for me at my seat. Or we've done the opening tpward the end of the dinner when people are just meandering around and chatting.
  • Options
    That's a good question because I think we will invite OOT guests to the rehearsal dinner too. I'd hate for them to feel left out since they did not get a present.
  • Options
    I wouldn't worry too much about people being left out. I've never expected a present as an OOT guest at a RD. I'm usually pleased to just have been hosted in that case. It's common knowledge that the BP gets gifts.

Just don't make a huge production of the opening.
  • Options

I've never seen a big production of opening them; they've always just been handed out in plain sight but without a big show.  I think it's totally okay to give a thank you speech without directly tying it to the gifts...

When the gifts are very similar (for example: H just stood up in a wedding this weekend where all the guys got framed sports-themed pictures personalized to their favorite team) the groom has handed them out and said "don't open it yet" and then given the okay once everyone has them.  This draws a little more attention to it, but still isn't like "attention everyone - please see the cool groomsmen gifts".  I've never felt slighted to not be getting a gift.

• Options
    When I was a bridesmaid for my SIL, she and my brother handed everyone gifts at their rehearsal dinner, which were not opened until later.  I was an out-of-towner at that wedding, so I didn't even open mine until I was at home.

I think that rehearsal dinners are the logical places to distribute such gifts, but I would not do a "gift opening" of those gifts there.  That can be done by the recipients in their own privacy.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards