Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Friday vs Sunday weddings?

I'm sorry, I'm sure this has been posted a hundred times. I really like this venue that is about 1 hr - 1 hr and 20 minutes from most of my guests. (I'm coming the opposite way and it's basically an hour and a half for me.) Anyways Saturdays are completely gone for 2014. So I'm probably going to book a Friday or Sunday unless I find another venue. (but i really dig this one!) Do you think a Friday or Sunday would be more appropriate? I want a fun party vibe and am buying my own alcohol. I think people will be less likely to drink and have fun on a Sunday because they have to work the next day. But people would have to take off work if I did it on friday, even with a later ceremony like 6:00 because of the travel time.

Thoughts?

Re: Friday vs Sunday weddings?

• Options
    How far is the ceremony from the reception or were you thinking you'd have them in the same place?
    *********************************************************************************

• Options

Either doesn't matter to me I would still drink and have a good time.  I'm not opposed to talking off a day or half a day for a wedding, as long as we were close.  If it were a Sunday I prefer an afternoon so there is the rest of the evening to decompress and relax.

Anniversary

• Options
    Personally, I prefer Friday over Sunday. The Sunday evening weddings that I have attended,  people left really early and there definitely was not as much of a party atmosphere, despite an open bar. The last one I was at, there was still 2 hours left at the reception and everyone but the WP and parents had left (the reception was scheduled to end at 10).

I'd pole your immediate family/friends and see what the consensus is. 
  • Options
    How far is the ceremony from the reception or were you thinking you'd have them in the same place?
    The ceremony and reception take place at the same venue.
  • Options
    I would vote for Friday if you want it to last later. 

What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    @ Liatris - haha I love the photo! Thanks, I am glad to see someone had a fun party wedding on a Sunday.
  • Options
    harper0813harper0813 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited July 2013
    I have never been able to attend Sunday weddings. But they've always been dinner wedding and 2 or more hours away. Friday would be more convenient for me personally, and guests would be able to stay up late (for that whole "party vibe" thing) without taking off of work the next day.

Either way, you'll see fewer people attend - but if you're okay with that, I either is fine, really.

ETA: Love your photo, Lia! Is that a bouquet-microphone you're holding? ;)
  • Options
    I prefer Friday weddings over Sunday weddings.
    *********************************************************************************

• Options
    Another option is to push wedding back to 2015 and get the pick of the Saturday dates now!

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• Options
    I'd go with Friday as long as it started after 6pm. If you're looking for 3pm, go with Sunday. 
  • Options
    moosette113moosette113 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited July 2013
    I think it depends on your family and friends. My FILs are Jewish so a Sunday wedding was fully expected (unless one opts for a very early Friday or a very late Saturday ceremony). My FBIL was very recently married on a Sunday and there was no shortage of booze, dancing, and fun despite the fact that most people (myself included) had to work the next day- I even had a 2 hour drive home that night.

I will also be getting married on a Sunday around 3:00. My Italian/Catholic family didn't put up too much of a fuss since I sent out STDs to emphasize the fact that it was happening on a Sunday and they could adequately prepare. I'm 4 months out and I know many of my immediate family and bridal party members have already taken off work the Monday after. 

In other words, I don't think a Sunday wedding is necessarily a buzz kill.

Edit: clarity
  • Options
    Sunday. I think a Friday wedding is going to stress out a lot of your guests because of having to take off, get ready, and what not. People will drink at your wedding regardless of what day of the week it is! So don't be worried about that. Plus nobody really does anything on Sunday, so they'll be looking to have some fun! 
  • Options
    NYCBruinNYCBruin member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited July 2013
    I think Friday weddings and Sunday weddings are both less likely to have the "party" vibe you're looking for. That's not to say it won't happen, but people are tired on Fridays after a week of work and Sundays some people want to turn in early to get sleep before work on Monday. I don't think one is more likely than the other as it probably varies a lot by person (just look at the different responses here), but its likely you'll have less of a party vibe on a Friday or Sunday.

I think you have to decide what your priorities are. If you really love this venue and really want a party vibe, I suggest waiting for a Saturday in 2015. If you really want to be married next year and love this venue, know you might not get the party vibe you want. If you really want a party vibe and to be married next year then I would look at other venues. I think this is a situation where you can only guarantee 2/3.

Eta clarity
    Don't worry guys, I have the Wedding Police AND the Whambulance on speed dial!
  • Options
    Just curious how this works...if every Saturday is booked, when would they hold your rehearsal if you had a Sunday wedding, or when would they hold the Saturday wedding's rehearsal with your wedding on the Friday?  Thursday?  Honestly just curious, never thought of this before 
  • Options
    I'd personally prefer Friday over Sunday, but that's nothing but my opinion.  You'll have fun no matter what day you choose!
    Meddied since 6/15/13!
  • Options
    KDM323KDM323 member
    5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper First Anniversary
    I personally prefer Sunday weddings over Friday weddings. 

But if you are really concerned and really want a Saturday wedding...I'd shop around for a different venue.
    *** Fairy Tales Do Come True *** Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    The only way I'm taking completely off work for a Friday wedding is if you're my sibling or super close, help-me-hide-this-body friend. If you aren't, and it's close enough for me to work part of the day, I'll leave at 1 or 2 and come, but I'm not partying into the wee hours of the morning because I'm tired. So, chances are, based on the distance you mentioned, I'm leaving by 9pm whether it's on Friday or Sunday, but I'm going to enjoy myself more at a 3:30pm Sunday wedding than I am a 6pm Friday wedding. That being said, check with your VIPs because everyone is different.
    My thoughts exactly. 
  • Options
    Just curious how this works...if every Saturday is booked, when would they hold your rehearsal if you had a Sunday wedding, or when would they hold the Saturday wedding's rehearsal with your wedding on the Friday?  Thursday?  Honestly just curious, never thought of this before 
    You would have to coordinate an open time slot with the venue. 

My wedding was on a Sunday morning.  The venue was booked Friday evening and Saturday evening.  If we wanted a rehearsal, we would've had to do it on Saturday before 3pm.  We did not have a complicated ceremony, so we decided to skip the rehearsal.  Knowing that we werent having a rehearsal, we practiced our hand-fasting with our minister the week prior.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    Bubblegum5586Bubblegum5586 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited July 2013

I have 2 weddings this summer on Friday nights (because Saturdays were already booked). I just had 1 last weekend that was an hr away. I am in sales so I was able to scheduale an appointment in that direction for 2pm and then just not come back to the office. Obviously not everyone has that flexability. I know some people had to take the day off to attend. But it was a PARTY! We left on the "early side" at 11:30pm! They had a group that went all night...

I know the other Friday wedding in August is planning on having a party vibe as well.

Overall I personally prefer Friday over Sunday. Yea I am tired from the week but I push through it because I have the whole weekend ahead of me. Vs on a Sunday I don't want to start the week exhausted.

Hope that helps...

Anniversary
  • Options
    Honestly, I would prefer a Friday wedding only because it's easy for me to take Fridays off (I often WFH) and also because I would appreciate being able to stay up later, party, and sleep in on Saturday. However, you're going to get a wide range of answers; for others, Mondays are easier to take off, or they'd simply rather not at attend a wedding after a long work week.

I think the downside to a Friday or Sunday wedding will be that some people may not be able to attend due to work or family commitments, moreso than would preclude them from a Saturday wedding.

The upside is that vendors are usually cheaper!
  • Options

I would prefer a Friday evening wedding.  Unless it was a close friend or the venue was really, really close, I wouldn't attend a Sunday wedding unless it was brunch-time.  As much of a pain/impossibility it is to take off work, I need that Sunday evening time to just relax.

Talk to your VIPs.  Clearly, everyone on here is split on this.  Your VIPs may have better suggestions based on their schedules and who your potential guests may be.  Hopefully they might have some good suggestions and help you decide!

• Options
    I so love LOVE your dress. Either day seems fine to me.

Live fast, die young. Bad Girls do it well. Suki Zuki.

• Options
    I prefer Sunday weddings, but I'm biased, because I had one.  We had an morning wedding and a lunch reception, and there was plenty of drinking (though much less drinking to excess than you usually see at an evening wedding) and the dance floor was packed all afternoon.  So I don't think you have to sacrifice the fun party vibe.
  • Options
    This particular venue only has one wedding per day and you get the venue for the entire day. (From 8:30 am - midnight) so Friday weddings rehearse on Tuesday, Saturday weddings get Wednesday, and Sunday weddings get Thursday.
  • Options
    Or you can rehearse earlier on the day of... but I know I wouldn't want that option.
  • Options
    OP, your best bet is to ask your close friends / family who would be attending. I'd prefer a Sunday, but as you can tell it seems TK posters are pretty split.
  • Options

I would be more likely to attend a Sunday event then a Friday event because where I work you need a minimum of 6 months notice to try to get a Friday off because everyone one wants those off.

• Options
    I hate taking time off for weddings that are within reason driving distance, but it is way easier for me to take off on a Friday than a Monday. In fact, I'd rather take off all day Friday then come in late on a Monday bc of a Sunday wedding. I usually spend Sunday nights cleaning out my inbo" responding to emails, cooking meals for the week, and finishing up work so I can start the week smoothly. A Sunday wedding would totally eff that up, and I would much rather take off on a Friday than have my whole week effed up by a crowded Sunday. Q
  • Options
    I think it all depends on your circle.

Our first choice venue was booked all Saturdays as well. We wanted a party vibe - Friday night, Sunday afternoon or night. We got in touch with our VIPS and Sunday night worked better for everyone. But most of our family/friends are self employed, are their own boss or have flexible hours so they are taking Monday off.

Definitely talk to your family and friends first.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

image 123 Invited
    image 96 Are ready to party
    image 27 Will be missing out
    image 0 Are undecided
  • Options
    That rehearsal schedule is rough! Pretty much rules out involving the WP and having a traditional RD. Our venue is similar, but does all three rehearsals Thursday evening.

Another biased vote for Friday, but definitely go with what's best for your VIPs! Friday was fine with ours, and it doesn't look like we'll even have an above-average decline rate. A nice thing about Fridays that some of our (mostly local) guests have mentioned is that it doesn't eat up their whole weekend. Lots of our friends are pretty active with weekend activities so they liked that aspect.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards