Pennsylvania-Pittsburgh

Is my flower idea a huge mistake?

I'm thinking I might be making  a really crazy mistake with flowers, so I could use some (kind) advice if I am. I live downtown near the Strip and every week my fiance and I buy fresh flowers from the same street vendor in the Strip when we grocery shop. So, our reception is at the Heinz History Center next fall, which is already pretty well decorated and busy with antiques, artifacts, etc. that will be on display during our reception, so we just want really simple flowers on the table, a small vase with maybe 1-2 flowers in each and we already have some antique postcards of Pittsburgh we found that we're displaying as table numbers on each one. 

My thought is this: instead of spending the money from a professional florist for floral arrangements for the reception, is it completely insane to go early in the morning of the wedding and buy a bunch of flowers from a street vendor? The one we go to every week has bouquets ranging from $1 to $3 that will last an entire week; and I'd only need these to last a day. My mom thinks I'm crazy and being too laid-back, but since we're not looking for anything really complicated, I'm having trouble wrapping my head around spending a lot of money on a professional here. 

Has anyone tried anything like this before or have any advice? 

Re: Is my flower idea a huge mistake?

• I'd say go for it. There is some risk involved...but if you don't have a specific flower in mind, why not?! You will save tons and if you're happy with whatever flowers, it sounds like a win to me.

Are you sure the vendor will have flowers out in the fall? That would be my only concern. I haven't visited the strip in the fall, so I wasn't sure :) 
  • edited July 2013
    Thank you! It's good to know I'm not doing something that everyone else thinks is insane :-)

I'm not sure that the vendors are there in the fall either, but we grocery shop every week, so we were thinking since the wedding isn't until next year, we'd keep buying our weekly cheap bouquets every week and see which weekend this year the flower vendors seem to disappear. I'm not 100% sure they're there year-round either.
  • I think the unknown is the only scary part ... but as you said if you can find out if they'll be there or even talk with one you like a lot to make SURE they're there the day of ....  
    Let me also say I am a total worrier & a total planner so that would be the only thing that comes to mind for me.  The last minute, what if he isn't there that day?  But... as you said if they do last a good week then maybe you can even WORST case, get them a few days early ??   

• I think you'll be totally fine :-).  Your centerpieces sound pretty.  My FSIL did the exact same thing for her wedding and it all turned out great.  She had no complaints, whatsoever.  She used a vendor named Jeff and spoke to him in advance to tell him what flowers she needed.  Everything was ready for them to pick up the morning before their wedding.
  • My wedding is at the History Center this fall! I am using a florist but am using minimal flowers. If she wasn't a long time family friend, I would be doing exactly what you plan. Just wait to see when the vendors disappear this fall since you would still have a good amount of time to plan around them not being there. 
  • I'm also learning through my decor planning that simple is definitely better in the Great Hall.
  • I know just who you mean. They have a large selection and are set up at spring, summer, fall at least. I would bet you could talk to them ahead of time and see what flowers they may have available. Maybe even have a per-order. Only helps their pockets, right?
  • I just had my wedding on Sunday, Sept 15th. I had my fiance go down to the strip district at 830am on Saturday and he picked up about 25 bouquets of flowers (Wildflowers, spray roses, wax flowers, babys breath and seeded eucalyptus). The total cost was $190 and we had ALOT of flowers. It worked out really well and I was so happy it was reasonable. I would say go for it! I ended up buying a bouquet of each the week prior and filling them in the mason jars that I was using to see how many I needed.. But that was super helpful. I haven't received my professional photos back yet, but I do have some that guests took of the centerpieces if you'd like to see them. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards