Florida-South Florida

Wedding Guest List

Good Morning!

I made a "mock guest list" myself and my fiancé. My fiancé list is pretty much set in stone, mine is for the most part, though I have been thinking about a few friends I have on my guest list and these two friends and there husbands I really don't talk to, not even through FB. One of the friends we went to school together since elementary days, we weren't super close, but did hang out occasionally and were close at one point because she was helping me look for my first apartment and then my condo I was invited to her wedding like 6 years ago and to her baby shower but never hang out just the two of us and , we had a mutual friend that I'm not longer friends with and that was pretty much the only time we did hang out was when it was a group of us. My other friend we met about a few years back and were really close always hanging out, over the last year or so we have not been close. I've made several attempts to hang out with her, with no success. I know she's busy because she just had a baby in Jan, so I understand and I know babies take up a lot of time. I do have them on the guest list because I have pictured them at my wedding one day, though now I'm kinda having second thoughts, though if I don't invite them would it ruin the relationship, I'm not trying to by any means I just want people at my wedding who are most important to me and are closest to me.

Has anyone come across this and how did you handle it.

Re: Wedding Guest List

• My daughter's wedding list had a lot of those issues.  To be honest, we erred on the side of trying to maintain the friendships.  Even if your contacts are thin recently, these are people who are part of your history.  People who we thought would not show up, did and we were thrilled to see them.  Conversely, people who were "sure things" did not, ultimately attend.  It was great to revive old relationships at such an important occasion. 
  • MeggisMeggis member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    If you are only talking four more people, I would err on the side of friendships.  If you were talking a bigger, number, I'd axe them all and say that the budget didn't allow for it.  I made a mock-guest list when we first got engaged, but I can tell you have changed it many times since then.  The "friends" I wasn't 100% on, I did not send a save the date to.  Once you send them that, you have pretty much invited them.  This way I still had the opportunity to change my mind.  

• Thanks for the advice!
  • eke07eke07 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    If it's only 4 - I'd say yes. Meggis' reply sounds similar to what we did, I had so many changes to our guest list that we didn't send out save the dates at all (our family and friends were 99% local to the wedding) and I was so happy we did. People got cut 2 weeks before the invites went out, and a few people (mostly dates of guests) got added even the week after the invites went out. Our guest list grew and shrink so many times - but ultimately ended on the higher side. This infographic actually helped me a lot when it came time to get serious about the list: http://infographicslist.files.wordpress.com/2013/05/infographic-how-to-decide-who-to-invite-wedding.jpg Of course, if your parents are paying, just nod and smile lol.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards