Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Biological Mother

Hello.  I am the Mother of the Groom. I am not his Biological mother, but I am his MOM.  My son has said that I will be the MOG in every aspect of the Wedding, but, I have a question.  Since my husband and I will host the Rehearsal Dinner, what is proper on inviting his "mother"?  His 16 year old half-brother will be in the Wedding party.  Do we invite his "mother"?  My son has a texting relationship with his mother.  They are not close.

Re: Biological Mother

• Options
    I agree with xcalygrl - let your son decide whether he wants her there or not.  If he does, invite her.  If he doesn't don't!
  • Options
    Leave it up to your son, then cheerfully support whatever decision he makes.

Seriously, I speak from experience on this one. If he's old enough to get married, he's old enough t deal with bio-mom as he sees fit.
  • Options
    LAM524LAM524 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Answer Name Dropper
    What does your son desire?

tinkerbell gif photo: Tinkerbell stuck in keyhole animated gif Peterpan2_coince9e.gif
  • Options
    My son has said it is up to me. I am fine with having her there. I just know that when you give her an inch she tends to take a mile.  I don't want her to make a scene all over him and make things uncomfortable.
  • Options
    nbgirl65 said:
    My son has said it is up to me. I am fine with having her there. I just know that when you give her an inch she tends to take a mile.  I don't want her to make a scene all over him and make things uncomfortable.
    If both you and Son are OK with inviting bio-Mom, then why not? If she makes a scene, then just walk away.

I also have a bio-Mom who did not raise me. She is pretty much a jerk. I just remind myself that her jerkiness is no reflection on me.
  • Options
    LAM524LAM524 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Answer Name Dropper
    edited July 2013
    I tend to agree! There is obviously some history here (not asking) which makes you give pause and question the invite but if all concerned have no issue & she is his biological mother (which does mean something) I think including her is very respectful and classy on your part. :) 

Could you clarify what you mean by "making a scene" please?  A positive or negative scene? Who would be uncomfortable...you, the groom or others?

As his biological mother, who has a relationship with him, I'd expect that she will express how happy she is for him and give hugs...kisses...etc. Is this your concern?

tinkerbell gif photo: Tinkerbell stuck in keyhole animated gif Peterpan2_coince9e.gif
  • Options
    Thank you for all of your help.  We will invite her and hope for the best.  She is not a bad person and what I meant by scene is that she tends to be loud and clingy, especially with her children.  After years of not really being in their lives, she wants to be "friends" with them as adults.  They feel like she tries too hard.

Thank you again. :)
  • Options
    nbgirl65 said:
    Thank you for all of your help.  We will invite her and hope for the best.  She is not a bad person and what I meant by scene is that she tends to be loud and clingy, especially with her children.  After years of not really being in their lives, she wants to be "friends" with them as adults.  They feel like she tries too hard.

Thank you again. :)

Yep, I know people like that.

You cannot pick your relatives, that's for sure.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards