Chit Chat
Options

XP- Bridal Shower Menu

iI apologize if this posts weird, my mac is on the fritz. I posted this in the moms and maids board, but this board gets more action, and all the cool people answer here. Also, who doesn't like to talk about food?

So the BM's and I are getting together next week to finalize the menu for the bridal shower. This is what we had thought of the last time we got together. I wanted to get everyones opinions on it. Should I add or delete something? Also, we were thinking of adding an edible favor, we already bought mini bottles of lotion from VS but one BM thought we should add something else, any suggestions for that? There are no vegans, vegetarians, or gluten intolerant guests. one guest has a nut allergy so we won't be using nuts in anything. Let me know!

Chicken salad sandwiches
Ham and cheese sandwiches
Potato salad
Macaroni salad in a light lemon dressing not a creamy dressing
Spinach and artichoke dip
Veggie tray
Fruit salad

Chocolate chip cookies
Double chocolate chip cookies
Lemon bars
Brownies
White chocolate cranberry cookies
Chocolate covered strawberries

Lemonade
Iced tea
Water
Iced coffee bar with syrups and baileys

Re: XP- Bridal Shower Menu

• Options
    itzMSitzMS member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment

Sounds fine. I would suggest a mixed green salad versus a veggie tray...but that's just me.

Any option to add a soup? I feel like a warm bowl of soup would break up the "picnic" feel.

Since you already have an extensive display of desserts...I'd skip the favors. Could you maybe have small take-out style boxes for the desserts though?

• Options
    NO CAKE?! 

I think the menu looks fine, if you want an edible favors is there anything non-sweet the bride really likes? For one shower I threw, the bride loved popcorn so we had a popcorn bar with different flavors and takeout boxes. 
  • Options
    I think that the menu sounds good.  However, in my circle, cake is always served at showers, so it would be really odd not to have cake.  I mean, you certainly have plenty of desserts, but some might find the absence of cake odd.
  • Options
    I'd be a little sad there was no cake but otherwise it sounds good!

Anniversary

• Options
    I would do a green salad.  Also, some people (ahem) hate condiments.  Will the ham and cheese sandwiches have mayo/mustard/etc on them? May want to put that on the side.  Because if someone (OK FINE ITS ME) hates condiments, they wouldn't have a single thing to eat.
  • Options
    KDM323KDM323 member
    5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper First Anniversary
    I think it sounds lovely!
    *** Fairy Tales Do Come True *** Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I knew I'd be in trouble with having no cake! The bride hates cake and won't be doing a wedding cake. I asked her what her favorite dessert was and she replied with the above sweets. Does that make it ok? I really feel like the lotion is enough of a favor, but one BM, aka the thorn in my side, says its not enough. @LMc0322 all condiments will be on the side for all the people who hate or only prefers one condiment to another
  • Options
    I knew I'd be in trouble with having no cake! The bride hates cake and won't be doing a wedding cake. I asked her what her favorite dessert was and she replied with the above sweets. Does that make it ok? I really feel like the lotion is enough of a favor, but one BM, aka the thorn in my side, says its not enough. @LMc0322 all condiments will be on the side for all the people who hate or only prefers one condiment to another

Then I think the menu sounds great! Since you have no food allergy issues, etc., this is a great menu that should make everyone happy!
  • Options
    itzMSitzMS member
    I knew I'd be in trouble with having no cake! The bride hates cake and won't be doing a wedding cake. I asked her what her favorite dessert was and she replied with the above sweets. Does that make it ok? I really feel like the lotion is enough of a favor, but one BM, aka the thorn in my side, says its not enough. LMc0322 all condiments will be on the side for all the people who hate or only prefers one condiment to another

Just have the "To Go" treat boxes for the desserts like I suggested earlier=Instant edible favor. Problem solved.

I wouldn't even take the lotion favor with me anyways (not a fan of random lotions)...so I'd say you're fine.

• Options
    I would attend this shower. Definitely. 

No need for favors. They're not necessary and you already have something. Less is more.
    *********************************************************************************

• Options

It's totally fine not to have cake, I was just kidding :) You have plenty of dessert, and that's all that matters. 
  • Options
    Only thing I see is that most of the desserts have some form of chocolate in them. Now, I love chocolate and a lot of people do, but not everyone.  Maybe swap one or two of the desserts with a non-chocolate option? 

Cakes aren't a necessity at showers here, so that doesn't bother me because the rest of the desserts sound awesome. 

I agree with condiments on the side, actually.  I love mayo, but hate mustard.  So if there was mustard on anything, I wouldn't be able to eat it. Lots of people I know won't touch mayo for health reasons, too.
  • Options
    Ditto the salad - I like to have a salad option in addition to the veggie tray, but it wouldn't be out of place without one.

Also - Can you just put the fruit salad on the dessert table, have some cool whip on the side and call it dessert? It'll satisfy your need for non-chocolate desserts.
     Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    MobKazMobKaz member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited July 2013
    imageimageWe did not have an official cake, and NO one complained.  We had an incredible sweets table and there was something to suit everyone's taste.  This was a shower for my DIL, and the theme was "shoes".  (She had her wedding shoes selected long before she found a dress.)  As a small additional edible favor, we made small chocolate shoes for everyone to take home.

**ETA...OMG...sorry for all the photos!  I'm still trying to figure out how to add them and I clearly have a lot to learn yet.  Since I barely know how to upload, deleting is a whole other story ;-(
  • Options
    Sounds good! I like the iced coffe bar idea. 
  • Options
    For another favor, maybe cake pops? Since you aren't having a regular cake, it just came to mind.

The menu sounds great! I love chicken salad!!
  • Options
    libby2483libby2483 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
    edited July 2013
    For another favor, maybe cake pops? Since you aren't having a regular cake, it just came to mind. The menu sounds great! I love chicken salad!!
    I like the cake pops idea if you do want to add another favor (which isn't necessary, but you certainly could).  We had cake pops decorated like brides and grooms for our rehearsal dinner, and they were a big hit.

• Options

Ok so I'll add a green salad to the menu. Also, to appease those who don't like chocolate I was thinking these berry scones that Trader Joes sells with whipped cream and I'll put the fruit on the dessert side. Does that sound good? Also, should I have a 3rd sandwich option, because now I feel like I have way more desserts than substantial food.

I think I'll just stick with mini lotions. Technically we had all voted against favors in the beginning. Although, I love the idea of cake pops, but that sounds like a lot of work!

@snippet17 do they allow cookies in the mail still? I always felt like they didn't allow that anymore.

• Options
    im not a fan of sandwiches at a bridal shower! thats more for like a picnic in my opinion
    Yeah, fillet mignon is my usual preference for bridal showers.
  • Options
    itzMSitzMS member

Ok so I'll add a green salad to the menu. Also, to appease those who don't like chocolate I was thinking these berry scones that Trader Joes sells with whipped cream and I'll put the fruit on the dessert side. Does that sound good? Also, should I have a 3rd sandwich option, because now I feel like I have way more desserts than substantial food.

I think I'll just stick with mini lotions. Technically we had all voted against favors in the beginning. Although, I love the idea of cake pops, but that sounds like a lot of work!

@snippet17 do they allow cookies in the mail still? I always felt like they didn't allow that anymore.

The bolded sounds super tasty. Chicken salad, ham and cheese, and something like roast beef sandwich would work? If you could find a way to do a broccoli cheese soup...that would be super fabulous.
  • Options
    @itsMS the shower is late August at 2pm. Would it be to hot to serve soup?
  • Options
    @snippet17 every time I mail a package they ask me if there's food in it like cookies. That's why I always thought you couldn't send cookies anymore. Although my grandma just sent me a thing of chocolates, so maybe they just want to know for some reason.
  • Options
    itzMSitzMS member

I eat soup and sandwiches for lunch or dinner year-round. That might just be me though.

If the shower is held outside, then hot soup probably doesn't work.

I thought it was a cheap/easy thing to add a little heartiness and diversity to the "picnic" menu.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards