Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Hair appointments- include FI's mom and niece?

cbrown828cbrown828 member
5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
edited July 2013 in Wedding Etiquette Forum

I got my hair cut last week and asked my hairstylist about doing my hair for my wedding. She checked their books and they already have a wedding party booked that day at 10:30 am, so she suggested I go ahead and book for 9:00. Waiting until noon would be too late, and I definitely want her to do my hair, so I booked appointments for myself, my mom, and my sister (MOH) who have both said they would like to get their hair done as well. In the moment I didn't have time to check in with FI's mom to see if I should book her and FI's niece (our flower girl) appointments as well, although FI's mom and SIL (flower girl's mom) have mentioned wanting to make appointments as well. This was mentioned in passing during some previous wedding chit chat, not in a "let us know so we can all plan together" way.

Is it ok that I kind of just want to keep this time for me, my mom, and my sister? I have no problem telling FMIL and FSIL what salon we are going to, but I also don't want them to think I expect them at the salon at 9 am when their getting ready isn't going to take as long as the rest of us. Also, things are tense between FMIL and me/FI since we moved in together (she very much disapproves), so I recognize my judgment might be a little clouded here. I'm looking forward to having some girls time that morning. FI says he doesn't feel strongly about it one way or another. Is it ok for me to not set appointments for FI's family members?

Edited for spelling and clarity

Daisypath Wedding tickers

Re: Hair appointments- include FI's mom and niece?

• Options

I think it's fine. If she asks where you're getting ready, just tell her. If you feel uncomfortable, you could always just call and say "Hey I know we talked about hair/makeup/etc.  My salon was booking up, so if you want to make an appointment I'd call soon!" or some bullshit.

I'm not inviting FI's mom to get ready with me.

• Options

If you had already discussed making appointments (even in passing), I think it would be a courtesy to mention to her that you made your appointment for yourself, mom, and sister and that she should call if she wants to book.  You could even say "we booked for 9am, and she still had a 12 opening if you want to call and get it" or something along those lines so that she isn't there at the same time.  Not mentioning it, only for her to realize later that your appointments are booked and she is on her own, is not going to help the "tense" relationship between you.   

• Options
    @smith5jm - Good point about the tension. Thank you both!
  • Options
    @lmc0322 p.s. I love that picture. I'm from WV near Pittsburgh and every time I drive out of the city that way I think "ok, let's do this!" :)
  • Options
    cbrown828 said:
    @lmc0322 p.s. I love that picture. I'm from WV near Pittsburgh and every time I drive out of the city that way I think "ok, let's do this!" :)
    Haha that picture sums up my commute every morning and evening. It's such a nightmare! :)
    I've had to drive way into WV a couple times in the past year and my GPS seems to crash every time I do so.  It's like the bermuda triangle for me. 
  • Options
    WV will do that to you. I'm from the northern panhandle but I live farther south now. I don't think that kind of commute every day would work for me! Mine is all interstate, very little traffic.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards