Pennsylvania-Pittsburgh
Options

BM dress?

I was wondering when your BMs got around to to buying their dresses. Timeline wise and did you have to ask them to get to it or did they just get it done on time without having to be pushed into the store?

We have done the shopping for it and all the dresses are picked out and the store has everything ready all the girls need to do is come in and get measured, pay and order. I know we still have 8 months to go but shouldn't they start buying soon? How do I ask them to start to buy soon without sounding b!tchee

image.

Re: BM dress?

• Options
    New_to_PGHNew_to_PGH member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    They should definitely order in the next month or two - it takes up to 4 months for the dresses to come in, and then they'll need time for alterations.

I'd give them each a call and let them know that all they have to do is stop in, get measured, and order up. Or perhaps you could make it a luncheon and all go together? You buy lunch, htey cough up the $$ for a dress :)
  • Options
    LaFemmeRousseLaFemmeRousse member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hmm, when I was in a wedding last June I had my dress purchased by January.  My BMs are picking out their own dresses and I don't think any of them are buying actual BM dresses rather than buying them off the rack, and I'm pretty sure only one out of five has purchased hers so far.

Pittsburgh sig: Favorite thing about fall= college football!
    Vacation
  • Options
    Er/jerEr/jer member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I believe mine ordered about 6 or 7 months out.  But that's because that's when I picked them out. 

I'd say if you already have them picked out, give them all the details and a time when they need to have them by.  I'd leave some extra time in there, just in case someone doesn't do it in time and you have to chase them around.

I sent out a couple of emails.  Since I let mine choose their own dresses, within some guidelines, I sent out an email whenever someone chose hers, to let everyone know which one it was.  But I only had one who was a bit more difficult, mostly because she was OOT and just harder to pin down time for her to get to the shop.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Since my store offered a discount if the girls bought by a certain date, I used that as the guideline and emailed the girls to remind them.  They all wanted to save some $$ so that worked for them.
  • Options
    elishanbelishanb member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    That seems pretty reasonable. I don't want to come off as pushy you know?

I like the lunch idea.. Good thinking. :)
    image.
  • Options
    gmc22gmc22 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi! My wedding isn't for another year and 3ish months but I had to get my girls to get their BM dresses now - I decided on a color from Jcrew's wedding collection and the color I picked out is only going to be around this season (spring 2010 line). I felt so bad b/c the wedding is still so far away but I emailed all my girls and just told them the circumstance and why I was asking they to buy them right now. Everyone was great about it and went out and bought their dresses (except one of my BM'S b/c I haven't even gotten to ask her yet!)

I think your girls should get them soon - you never know what kind of alterations etc. they will need and sometimes those things take time. I don't think it's too soon. Just explain to them that you wanted to allow time for atlerations etc. and they should all understand. I was talking to my MOH about my BM dress situation and she said something that made me feel a little better - she said that they all knew they were going to have to get a dress when you asked them to be in the wedding and they accepted, so why should it matter when they have to get it? Needless to say, it did make me feel a bit better. But I think 8 months is definitely not too early to have them get the dresses! GL!
  • Options
    edited December 2011

Mine picked theirs out nearly a year before the wedding, shortly after I got my dress. We all went together, and they agreed on the 2 styles. I was in a hurry to get it done though b/c I had a feeling I'd be moving to DC soon (which I did in July). I would have waited longer if I could have though. But 8 months seems good, esp. if it takes a while for them to come in.

• Options
    elishanbelishanb member
    edited December 2011
    I let them pick out the dresses they wanted, months ago. Then they all gave me the "I want to drop a couple LBS" and it was nearly a year in advance so I figured there was no harm in waiting. Now since all of the dresses they picked are infact BM dresses that need to be ordered (not off the rack) I think they just need to start getting down to business you know?
    image.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We ordered ours 6 months in advance and they only took 2.5 months to come in, so everyone had them in plenty of time.  There was also a discount for ordering them, which helped get everyone on the same page.  HTH!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Happy Birthday, little man. We love you so much!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Search & Win
    My favorite money saving tip: I've earned more than $300 in gift cards (Amazon, Starbucks, Southwest!) using SwagBucks for internet searching - and you can too! It's FREE and EASY!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Oh, and they can get them altered if they want to lose some weight before the wedding.  I'm sure they will need some alterations anyway!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Happy Birthday, little man. We love you so much!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Search & Win
    My favorite money saving tip: I've earned more than $300 in gift cards (Amazon, Starbucks, Southwest!) using SwagBucks for internet searching - and you can too! It's FREE and EASY!
  • Options
    ashleyandcjashleyandcj member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

My wedding is in July and I made an appt with my BMs to go to the store and pick out the dresses.  We picked them out and they orders them that day.  That was in November and I just got a call from the store saying the dresses are in.  You have time so what I would do is maybe see if you can get them all to go in on one day and make it fun.  Everyone can go in order the dresses and be done with it. 

• Options
    edited December 2011
    3 out of my 4 girls got them 10 months before the wedding and they came in after 3 months.  My last BM just ordered hers 2 weeks ago-it's expected in around the beginning of April.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    jezebelljezebell member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Elisha my date is the same as yours.  I had picked the gown months ago and was told they take 4 - 6 months to come in and in order to have altering time, order them in January.  So we picked the date stuck to it.  We just went Saturday.  We all went out to lunch then to get them measured.  However, once we got there I decided I didn't like that gown afterall and we ended up ordering a different one.  The consultant said they're running about 3 - 4 months on shipping so we'll be good.  I have one bm about to have gastric bypass surgery.  BUT it'll just have to be taken in.  At least it will be here.  I'd give them some notice because they'll need the money.  I always live by that "better late than never" policy..."better safe than sorry"....all those swim in my head.  It's my grandma's fault! lol  Anyway, my 4 bm's didn't mind doing it now.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    elishanbelishanb member
    edited December 2011
    All good info. Thanks all :)
    image.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards