Chit Chat

Monday Evening Freakout Curiosity Poll: When did you freak out the hardest? When did you stop?

We got our first RSVPs today. Fun! Mailbox stalking! I love regular boring mail, so holy crap, this is just the coolest! 

Except I had this terrifying epiphany today: Goddamn everybody we know is coming to town for this thing. Just goddamn everybody.

We went to college together a billion years ago, and our mutual friends scattered to the four winds. As they do. Gathering all those people in the same room at the same time was the #1 reason we wanted the kind of wedding that costs as much as a car, instead of just getting married and buying a car, which would have been smarter but way less fun. And everyone is so excited! It's lovely. But oh my god, how do you do that? How do you visit with absolutely everybody? Were there people you just didn't see except for a few minutes at the reception? Was your home a total freaking madhouse that whole week? Did you and FI have any privacy at all ever? Did you freak out at first but come to a beautiful zen acceptance of everything once the actual day rolled around? Solid freakout mode for the last month or two? Are you some kind of superhero who never got around to freaking out? 

Just wondering. It's the logistics, for me, that's what trips me up. Who's going to be where at what time, myself included, and what's expected of me, outside of the actual event I'm hosting. That's where I start getting all glassy-eyed and panicky. 

And continuing my tradition of boring posts with tangentially related Mad Men gifs, here's Pete Campbell falling down the stairs.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Monday Evening Freakout Curiosity Poll: When did you freak out the hardest? When did you stop?

• Just don't overbook yourself that week. You do not need to allot time for every guest. It's an unrealistic expectation for you and them to have.

We had a guest call my dad and request that he host a cocktail party the Wednesday before the wedding so that everyone could see each other. He said no, because instead, we're hosting this thing called a wedding.

Take time the days before to relax. You will be a bundle of nerves (you already are!) and you will want to enjoy that time. Your guests can take care of themselves and you will spend some time with them at the wedding. How many of them are staying with you?
  • Well, we've been able to say "sorry, guest room might be taken for the next few weeks, our friend is moving to town and he's staying with us while he looks for a place, not sure how long he'll be here." So that's sort of lucky, the flipside of course being OH MY GOD we might have someone living in our goddamn house during the wedding and we have no idea when he's leaving. Great friend, great guy, terrible timing. When we said "of course you can stay here, duh!" the ETA was like May. Now it's next week. As in, 6 weeks before the wedding. So there's that. And I mean, I get panicky when we have weekend guests, so I'm a little concerned about losing my mind before the wedding guests are even an issue.

But people have already started saying "hey, we're getting in on Thursday, can we get together, we'd love to see the house" etc. Not to mention that FI has a whole set of friends I've never met who'll want to visit with him and meet this girl he's marrying. And so many people we thought probably wouldn't come are totally freaking coming. But no, I don't want to go out for drinks. I just don't. You know? I want to sit on my goddamn couch for awhile. Hard not to feel like a jerk for that.

Plus FI has been wanting to have a barbecue at the house in lieu of a rehearsal dinner Friday night, but he's starting to panic a little too so good lord I hope he changes his mind, because seriously, using the "family and out of town guests" criteria we're talking like a hundred people. At least.

So yeah, I signed up for this, and it really will be fantastic and fun, but I'm the introvertest introvert that ever introverted, and the reality of the whole endeavor just kind of smacked me in the face yesterday. I'm sure the panic will ebb and flow over the next few weeks. Just wondering how everyone else handled it!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'm so totally with you about lists, Stage. A couple weeks ago I stole an actual PAPER notebook from work and made 4 lists (house, yard, wedding, other) just so I could cross stuff off them. Ahhhh. Also the money thing, although mine is more about having twice the guest list I wanted, because my parents gave me some money, and they wanted more family than I did and I was a jerk if I said no and bam, 50 extra people. 

So yeah, all this, I really hate how whiny I sound. It's wonderful. I signed up for all of this and I knew a lot of it would be uncomfortable for me but it would be worth it. It's just, you know. Shit is getting real.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'm so totally with you about lists, Stage. A couple weeks ago I stole an actual PAPER notebook from work and made 4 lists (house, yard, wedding, other) just so I could cross stuff off them. Ahhhh. Also the money thing, although mine is more about having twice the guest list I wanted, because my parents gave me some money, and they wanted more family than I did and I was a jerk if I said no and bam, 50 extra people. 

So yeah, all this, I really hate how whiny I sound. It's wonderful. I signed up for all of this and I knew a lot of it would be uncomfortable for me but it would be worth it. It's just, you know. Shit is getting real.
    There's an adorable app called AnyDo that lets you make to do lists, and physically cross stuff off by swiping your finger.  Then at the end of the day, you "shake" the phone to erase all the crossed off stuff and giggles or says things like "way to go!" "good job!" etc.  It's my new favorite thing, lol.
    That's pretty perfect. FI is always using his phone for lists and doesn't understand that YOU NEED TO CROSS THINGS OFF THAT'S THE WHOLE POINT DAMMIT. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Your wedding sounds awesome!

As for freakouts... I'm 4 days away, and am past the point of freaking out. Everything is done, and I just sent the seating chart to my friend's print shop yesterday. People have been arriving to the city, but with my mom in the hospital, that was my #1 concern. She's out now, which is awesome! Things are done and all that's left is confirming a few things, packing for an overnighter at my parent's place, packing a bag for the dogs to stay at my folks while we're honeymooning, and getting ready for honeymooning. So there's a bit to do, but with the stupid amount of late nights this last month, I'm too tired to focus on anything other than marrying my best friend, beginning that new stage in life, and enjoying some honeymoon beach time!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • No freakouts----yet.

Almost everything is ordered, paid for, taken care of, etc.

I do imagine that I'll get spazzy the week of, but until that time comes, I'm pretty good.

Officially hitched as of 10/25/13

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Your wedding sounds awesome!

As for freakouts... I'm 4 days away, and am past the point of freaking out. Everything is done, and I just sent the seating chart to my friend's print shop yesterday. People have been arriving to the city, but with my mom in the hospital, that was my #1 concern. She's out now, which is awesome! Things are done and all that's left is confirming a few things, packing for an overnighter at my parent's place, packing a bag for the dogs to stay at my folks while we're honeymooning, and getting ready for honeymooning. So there's a bit to do, but with the stupid amount of late nights this last month, I'm too tired to focus on anything other than marrying my best friend, beginning that new stage in life, and enjoying some honeymoon beach time!
    This, honestly, is what I have my fingers crossed for. The next few weeks will almost certainly be crazy bonkers, no real way around that. But pretty much everything HAS to be taken care of by the time people start showing up, so I'm hoping I can chill out and not be all "meh, I need alone time" or whatever. You know, since people showing up is the WHOLE FREAKING POINT. Perspective: I need to shut up and get some.

Glad your mom is better, really. That'll make you prioritize, quick, and I can't imagine having to do all that fretting all at once. See above re: perspective, I needs it.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards