Not Engaged Yet

If it were you, would you get a second job?

Hey all, I haven't been posting on this board lately but I still lurk from time to time. Anyway, I thought I might ask you ladies your opinion. Here is the situation.

BF and I had originally planned to move in together in January. But back in June, my car broke down and died. So now I am in the process of saving up a good sized down payment and I plan on buying a new-to-me car by October.

Well BF is also needing a new car. He is car shopping right now and plans to buy a car at the end of this month. We are both getting used cars and trying to make sure we get a good deal on a used, safe and reliable car. 

The problem is, at mine and BF's current salaries and both of us needing a new car, it looks like we may have to postpone moving in together. Unless I get a part-time job. 

If I stay right where I am in my apartment that I share with two other girls, I can easily afford to pay my bills and a new car payment, no problem. But if I move in with BF, I will most likely need to get a second job. Unless my boss decides to give me a raise between now and January, but I think it's unlikely.

BF is currently searching for a higher paying job. If he can manage to get one in his field (he's looking to get back his old job as a corrections officer at a jail or prison), then we can still afford a place together. And he's willing to take on more of the household bills so that I don't have to get a second job. But again, this all depends on if BF can get a better job.

Sigh. There's so many "ifs" that it's stressing me out. I REALLY don't want to have to get a second job. It seems like I would never even be home to enjoy my apartment with BF and be able to spend much time with him. But I also don't like the idea of staying where I am and continuing to live apart from BF. 

So I don't know. What would you do? Would living with your BF be worth you getting a second job? 
Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: If it were you, would you get a second job?

• For what it's worth, BF and I do not live together right now, and we are actively looking for a place that we can afford on his salary.

It would depend on the amount of money swinging one direction or the other. With neither of you having a vehicle right now, the cars need to be priority.

It would also depend on the stress level. Like for me right now, I'm at work/grad school 40+ hours a week. With my primary craft show coming up, I'm going home every night and knitting for 5 hours and knitting 10+ hours every weekend day. Honestly, it sucks. I'm not enjoying my apartment right now.
  • If your BF can afford the apartment he's living in now then why can't the two of you, together, afford it if you move in?

• He's living with his parents rent-free right now. He used to have an apartment with two other guys but he moved back home to save money. He can move back out but only if he gets another place with two roommates.

To make sure we could afford an apartment, we put our budget on an Excel spreadsheet. Before this whole car situation happened, we could afford it. We would have had to watch our money carefully but we would have made it. Now, not so much. 
  • Only you can answer this.

What's more important to you...having the extra free time or having the extra money/living together?
  • A second job would mean less free time and less time at home and with your BF. Would that be worth it? 

I don't know that it would be for me. If taking a few more months to save means you wouldn't need a second job then I'd probably go that route. 

• I worked two jobs for awhile (and was also going to school full time). I actually really enjoyed my second job (and the extra money!) but it became too much and I had to quit. I just didn't have any time for me. It was always work, school, or BF - and while I absolutely love spending time with BF I need time for myself as well.

I also think it depends on what type of second job you can find. If it's one you are going to hate then absolutely don't do it. But if it's one you might actually enjoy for a bit and it's only for the short time it might be worth it.

• Cheap cars are really area-dependent. In our area, Cash for Clunkers took a lot of the reliable < $3k cars off the road. BF has been driving a $500 car for the last 3.5-4 years, and we have been pouring a crazy amount of money into it to try to keep it running. (I'm in favor of tearing down the engine and transmission and starting over; he's coming around to my POV.)

Then again, I paid $6k for my car and ended up with a ... drive-able lemon.

Which I guess is a long-winded way of saying that spending more money =/= better car.
  • I would get the second job, but also postpone moving in together for a couple of months. This way, you get the extra money, you have longer to save for your car, AND when you do move in together, you might actually be able to spend time together.

My bf and I don't live together, but I know if either of us got a second job, we'd hardly see each other even if we lived together. It would almost make the move pointless.

Also, while you did say he was looking for a higher paying job, is it possible for him to get a second job in the meantime?
  • An update. I bought a new-to-me car this weekend and BF is planning on buying his car in October. We have decided to delay moving in together until he gets a higher paying job. 

There's not much point in getting a second job if I'm never home to enjoy my apartment or to be able to spend time with BF, family and friends. Plus with my hearing impairment, there's only a few good jobs available that doesn't stress me out beyond belief. So unless BF gets a better job, we're not moving in together anytime soon.

It sucks but oh well. Right now, a reliable car is the bigger priority. And right now, our relationship is great even though we don't live together. So we can manage in the meantime :)

Thanks everyone for your input. Excellent advice, as always.  
  • I would just postpone moving in together until you have finances in order with how they'd "normally" be.  Also something to consider is how you would handle financial surprises like this after you move in together.

As for a second job, is it weird that I'm considering doing a seasonal 2nd job for fun?  They had a story on the news this morning about some of the local haunted houses are starting to hire for the Halloween season and I think being an 'actor' in a haunted house would be cool as shit.
  • @pepper6, I totally wish I had the personality for that! I would laugh the whole way through and not scare anybody. So I need to stick to the other side ofit.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards