Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Parent involvement ideas?

Hi Knotties - SORRY this is long, I just wanted to give a little context before asking advice,

My fiance and I are paying for our destination wedding ourselves, and I have some ideas for parent involvement, but would love some input.

My parents so far have been insanely generous buying our RT airfare as their wedding gift to us, and my mom insisted on paying for half of my dress... I cried, because she's always so generous and I didn't expect this. We don't know yet what my fiance's parents will do, if anything, and we aren't expecting anything, and that's completely fine, and doesn't change how we feel about them- we know it's hard enough to pay for airfare (which is why we're paying for airport transfers and for 4 days at the resort). (sorry, I don't know why the font just changed)

We're asking our parents to give toasts at the wedding, and we're going to do a welcome toast at the welcome dinner the night before, in which we'll thank everyone (we're not having bridal parties, so it's not technically a "rehearsal dinner", since everyone is invited), and we'll also have a couple of friends do toasts at the welcome dinner. 

Our ceremony is going to be incredibly personal, and we're not planning to involve anyone at all. We're going to do the father-bride and mother-groom dances.

Does anyone out there have ideas about involving parents beyond our current plans?

Thanks!!!

Re: Parent involvement ideas?

• Options
    Hi Knotties - SORRY this is long, I just wanted to give a little context before asking advice,

My fiance and I are paying for our destination wedding ourselves, and I have some ideas for parent involvement, but would love some input.

My parents so far have been insanely generous buying our RT airfare as their wedding gift to us, and my mom insisted on paying for half of my dress... I cried, because she's always so generous and I didn't expect this. We don't know yet what my fiance's parents will do, if anything, and we aren't expecting anything, and that's completely fine, and doesn't change how we feel about them- we know it's hard enough to pay for airfare (which is why we're paying for airport transfers and for 4 days at the resort). (sorry, I don't know why the font just changed)

We're asking our parents to give toasts at the wedding, and we're going to do a welcome toast at the welcome dinner the night before, in which we'll thank everyone (we're not having bridal parties, so it's not technically a "rehearsal dinner", since everyone is invited), and we'll also have a couple of friends do toasts at the welcome dinner. 

Our ceremony is going to be incredibly personal, and we're not planning to involve anyone at all. We're going to do the father-bride and mother-groom dances.

Does anyone out there have ideas about involving parents beyond our current plans?

Thanks!!!
    Honestly that sounds awesome. Congrats on your engagement and having your dress paid for. :) I could think they could do a reading, a prayer etc but thats about it.
  • Options
    Your wedding sounds really cool. You can have them in the processional, read readings, in the programs, at your head table if you don't have a WP, etc.
    *********************************************************************************

• Options
    That sounds like they are involved enough. It isn't necessary to involve them more, and I feel like doing something might make it seem forced. I would give them an honest and heartfelt thank you note and leave it at that. Maybe you could have them seated or have them in the programs.
  • Options
    What you have sounds great and like your parents are involved.
  • Options
    It sounds good to me.  Your parents and his parents can be as involved as they want to be.  As long as their is open lines of communication, i.e your FH calls / sees them regularly and they seem happy then don't worry about it.
  • Options
    Great, thanks everyone! I feel better about our decisions now!

I also just recently decided to get a small, sentimental gift to give my parents tomorrow at my first dress fitting, as a thanks for being so supportive. Not everyone has been 100% supportive throughout this process (though most everyone has, so I shouldn't complain!), so I want them to know how grateful we are :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards