Pennsylvania-Pittsburgh

Marriage License

Alright girls, I'm getting married in April and I should probably take care of this soon, hahaha........ Can anyone tell me exactly how to go about and what I have to do to get a marriage license!?!?

Re: Marriage License

• Ash2985Ash2985 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We went and applied for ours yesterday.  In PA, you can get it in any county (we went to Butler County instead of Allegheny because it was cheaper and our officiant said that Allegheny is taking a really long time to get the marriage certs out after the wedding).  We had to go to the courthouse, bring ID and social security card, and depending on the county, the fee is different and you have to pay in cash.  If you just google whatever county you want to do it in and "marriage license" and the guidelines will come up.

Also, marriage licenses in PA are only good for 60 days.

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • jmbahrjmbahr member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I was actually wondering about this myself.  Do I get the license in the state I live in or the state I'm getting married in?
  • edited December 2011
    The state you're getting married in.

Vacation

• carcrashheartcarcrashheart member
    First Anniversary First Comment Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    allegheny county got us our license back fairly quickly. i'd say it was to us within a week of returning home from the HM, which we left for 2 days after the wedding. not that i know where the license is. or why it matters how quickly it gets back to you. i guess some people frame them? it isn't very pretty.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011

Do you always have to bring you Social Security Card? I thought you just needed the #. I don't have a clue where mine is!

• phillychica85phillychica85 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yes, we also got ours in Allegheny County and it was not a long time to get it back at all. I don't remember having brought my social security card when we went to apply for it. I think it's just the id, social security card being needed when you want to go and change your name. 
    My travel and cooking blog

Maui, November 2011
  • daisy28426daisy28426 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi again - Thanks for the input!  Can you guys tell me exactly what I have to do to get it?  I'm in Allegheny County and I don't know where to go or when or what I have to do or any of the details.  Thanks!
  • edited December 2011
    How long should you wait till you go and get your marriage license? I'm getting married in June. 
  • Ash2985Ash2985 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Marriage licenses expire 60 days after you get one-- which I said earlier in the thread.

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • edited December 2011
    In order to get a marriage license in Allegheny County, you and your FI have to go to the Family Court Building Downtown and fill out an application and pay a $75 fee. It takes 3 business days to process and voila.

From personal experience I would go early in the monring.

Both of you don't have to be present to pick up the license once it's ready.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards