Wedding Hair, Makeup, & Beauty Forums
Options

Preliminary Advice on Hair for Bride and Bridesmaids

I always wear my hair down - and I have bangs (straight bangs, not side).  In the very beginning, when I was shopping for my dress and they put a veil on me for effect- my hair down looked a little weird (although it was just plain and straight).  Then the consultant told me to put my hair in a bun and I looked kind of better that way with the veil and everything.  However, I've been looking at hairstyles and I'm so torn.  I love these types of low updos (link to low updo)  but I also like these styles (style 1) (style 2).  

I read on here that you should wear your hair similar to how you always do so you look like yourself in pictures and also some people think strapless dresses look better with hair down.  (I agree with both of these things.) My gown has straps - not spaghetti straps but not sleeves either.  and it's v neck and v shape back so there is a good amount of skin showing.  It would look fine up or down, I think.  I'm leaning towards my hair being down.  (But I wish I had the opportunity to have my hair both ways! haha).  

Anyway, I know in the end I can do whatever I want - but I am wondering what people typically do with their hair and their bridesmaids' hair.  If my hair is down should the bridesmaids have their hair down?  While my dress has straps and thus more versatile for hair, my bridesmaids have strapless dresses.  Most weddings I've been to the bridesmaids have strapless dresses with hair up and it's fine - but it looks a little plain.  I've been hoping to find a big chunky nice necklace for all of them to wear, which would add to it, but I'm not sure if I will end up finding it.

Just looking for some advice - sorry if this came out more like me thinking out loud.  I'm going for a hair trial in about a month and I think I only have time for one hairstyle.  Thank you.

ETA: I just read another post where advice was about how the bridesmaids should wear their hair however they like, especially with different face shapes, etc.  I am paying for their hair and makeup - but I think that's actually a good piece of advice.  I never intended on the same exact hair style - but wondered if they should all be up or down.  But maybe it should be whatever they want?  I'll ask the hair stylist what she thinks too, I guess.  In the end maybe I can ask them to have an idea of what they want for the hair stylist on the wedding day.
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Preliminary Advice on Hair for Bride and Bridesmaids

• Options
    acj928 said:
    I always wear my hair down - and I have bangs (straight bangs, not side).  In the very beginning, when I was shopping for my dress and they put a veil on me for effect- my hair down looked a little weird (although it was just plain and straight).  Then the consultant told me to put my hair in a bun and I looked kind of better that way with the veil and everything.  However, I've been looking at hairstyles and I'm so torn.  I love these types of low updos (link to low updo)  but I also like these styles (style 1) (style 2).  

I read on here that you should wear your hair similar to how you always do so you look like yourself in pictures and also some people think strapless dresses look better with hair down.  (I agree with both of these things.) My gown has straps - not spaghetti straps but not sleeves either.  and it's v neck and v shape back so there is a good amount of skin showing.  It would look fine up or down, I think.  I'm leaning towards my hair being down.  (But I wish I had the opportunity to have my hair both ways! haha).  

Anyway, I know in the end I can do whatever I want - but I am wondering what people typically do with their hair and their bridesmaids' hair.  If my hair is down should the bridesmaids have their hair down?  While my dress has straps and thus more versatile for hair, my bridesmaids have strapless dresses.  Most weddings I've been to the bridesmaids have strapless dresses with hair up and it's fine - but it looks a little plain.  I've been hoping to find a big chunky nice necklace for all of them to wear, which would add to it, but I'm not sure if I will end up finding it.

Just looking for some advice - sorry if this came out more like me thinking out loud.  I'm going for a hair trial in about a month and I think I only have time for one hairstyle.  Thank you.

ETA: I just read another post where advice was about how the bridesmaids should wear their hair however they like, especially with different face shapes, etc.  I am paying for their hair and makeup - but I think that's actually a good piece of advice.  I never intended on the same exact hair style - but wondered if they should all be up or down.  But maybe it should be whatever they want?  I'll ask the hair stylist what she thinks too, I guess.  In the end maybe I can ask them to have an idea of what they want for the hair stylist on the wedding day.
    I like the first two links. for hair photos. What would you be more comfortable with? I had my hair half up half down. Bridesmaids should do as they please. You can make requests or help them pick out styles.
  • Options
    I'm really not sure.  I think I'd be more comfortable with my hair half up and half down since I'm so used to feeling my hair.  The last time I had an up do was for prom so I really don't remember what it felt like.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I like the first one.  I am letting my BMs do whatever they want with their hair.  Just like I want to be comfortable, I want them to be also! 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards