Chit Chat

Should I be Worrying?

My wedding is a little over 2 weeks away and about half of our invited guests have said they're not coming. I'm getting over the fact that most of those not coming are family but then I started thinking about how many guests WILL be coming. We picked a venue that could comfortably fit 100 people. We've only got 50 guests saying they're coming.

From the very beginning of everything I feared an empty looking reception. I figured, after inviting over 100, we'd get about 80 to show up. Which would have filled the space nicely I think. My contact at the venue assures me that 8 tables of 8 chairs fills the space well enough, but that's 64 chairs. We've only got 50 guests. 

Should I be concerned with the space looking empty?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Should I be Worrying?

• Don't forget vendors too. And don't worry about it you will be able to spread out and not be cramped. Maybe you can do a sweetheart table? I think it sounds like a really cozy wedding, o at least you will definitely have time to meet with each person.
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • No, don't be concerned. I assure you that this venue, if they are good at all, have ways to make rooms look more full.
    And with everyone up and having a good time, no one will care how full or empty your room looks lol.
  • I wouldn't worry.  We invited about 125 and had 40 at our wedding (DW).   You'll not even notice who is there or not, since you'll get too swept up in the day.  Enjoy your time with the people who can celebrate with you, and if you're left with extra budget you can either splurge on your guests there or put some extra towards a honeymoon or something else fun

• I'm in the same place right now. About half are able to come. But the way I see it, we will have more quality time with less people:) and our overall reception cost will drop. Just think of how amazing it'll be to have married your FI and don't worry about this.
  • We invited 45 people to our wedding. The room we were in fits about 75 in a normal wedding set up. Due to some last minute surgeries and early births we had 27 guests. The room didn't look empty at all. Then venue changed the set up of the tables and the buffet to make the room look more full. Your venue should know how to deal with this.

• Heh. Everyone around me says to not worry about it but I can't help myself. But it's nice to hear other people are going / have gone through the same thing. 

I've never been to a wedding so I don't know how things tend to go. I'm the first in my group of friends to get married and am not close enough to any family to get an invite (though they all got one from me, said they weren't coming).

But y'all do make me feel better about it.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • If you do open seating (no assigned tables), you'll need the 64 seats anyway because people tend to not fill up the tables properly. You'll get one table that has just one chair left, so nobody will take that, or a table with three seats where a family of four would like to sit, or whatever.
  • I wouldn't worry.  We invited about 125 and had 40 at our wedding (DW).   You'll not even notice who is there or not, since you'll get too swept up in the day.  Enjoy your time with the people who can celebrate with you, and if you're left with extra budget you can either splurge on your guests there or put some extra towards a honeymoon or something else fun
    I second this. I honestly couldn't have told who was there and who wasn't on the day. It was only after we started making our list of gifts for thank you cards that I really got a sense of who actually showed up. Regardless of who else is there, the day will be beautiful as long as the groom and officiant are there.
  • We had less than half of the people our space could hold, and it was fine! They just moved the tables close to the dance floor, and nobody even thought about the extra room. I was worried too but I promise it won't be an issue.
  • lc07lc07 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    You will be fine! Our venue max was 160 and we had 100 show up. I cannot imagine how crowded that room would have been with 160!! 100 was perfect in that space. The venues often tell you a higher number max to make the most money. I think you'll be very happy with how the space looks with your guest count.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards