Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions
Options

Reading help

My finacee's grandmother wants to read the "love is patient, love is kind" passage from the Bible during our ceremony. However, I absolutely cannot stand that passage.

I considered letting her read it anyway in the interest of keeping the peace, but the more I think about it the less I want it.

So! Do you have any ideas how I could deal with this? I have other reading options I can offer. But if she still wants to read something from the Bible, do any of you have any suggestions?

Re: Reading help

• Options
    I have this version of that script: (don't know if that helps....)

Love is a powerful, driving force.  It is the motivation behind all of your planning, all of your decisions, and all of your hard work in preparation for this celebration.  Love is also the motivation for your decision to share your life as one.  The Bible tells us that the love of God has been shed abraod in our hearts by the Holy Spirit, and this love is described in First Corinthians 13:4-8. 

Love patiently and passionately bears with others for as long as paience is needed.

Love doesn't demand other to be like itself; rather, it is so focused on the needs of others that it bends over backwards to become what others need it to be;

Love is not ambitious, self-centered, or so consumed with itself that it never thinks of the needs or desires that others possess;

Love doesn't go around talking about itself all the time, constantly exaggerating and embellishing the facts to make it look more important in the sight of others;

Love does not behave in a prideful, arrogant, haughtly, superior, snooty, snobbish, or clannish manner;

Love is not rude and discourteous--it is not careless or thoughtless, nor does it carry on in a fashion that would be considered insensitive to others;

Love does not manipulate situations or scheme and devise mehods that will twist situations to its own advantage;

Love does not deliberately engage in actions or speak words that are so sharp they cause an ugly or violent response;

Love does not deliberately keep records of wrongs or past mistakes,

Love doesn't not feel overjoyed when it sees an injustice done to someone else but is elated, thrilled, ecstatic, and overjoyed with the truth;

Love protects, shields, guards, covers, conceals, and safeguards people from exposure;

Love strains forward with all its might to believe the very best in every situation;

Love always expects and anticipates the best in others and the best for others;

Love never quits, never surrenders, and never gives up;

Love never disappoints, never lets anyone down;

Love never fails. 

Our prayer for you, Brride and Groom, is that your love grows stronger every day.

God Bless You!

imageimage
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I love that one that you suggested! Could you possibly give her a couple other than that one to pick from? Just be honest, after all it's your wedding. You don't want to like cringe when she starts reading it during YOUR ceremony!

We are actually having that "love is patient one" read at our ceremony, simply because it's the one used in my sorority and my sorority mom is a bridesmaid and she'll be reading it. Other than that, i wouldn't like it at all :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards