Pennsylvania-Pittsburgh
Options

NWR: Help with teaching job search

Since a few you you ladies are teachers, does anybody know where I can get a teaching job?  I've been out of school for two years and did two years of AmeriCorps teaching.  I'm ready for my own classroom and hate the thought of substituting Tongue out.
I'm currently PA certified K-6 and waiting to see if my middle school math add-on is good.  I am willing to move, and have applications in along the east coast.

TIA for any help:)

Amanda
My Bio
Derp Engagement Photo
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: NWR: Help with teaching job search

• Options
    edited December 2011
    My DH is a teacher in Baltimore and I know the city and several surrounding counties were hiring in the spring.  We moved here for his job and like the area...and it is an easy 4 hour drive home to Pittsburgh.

GL with your search!  
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Happy Birthday, little man. We love you so much!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Search & Win
    My favorite money saving tip: I've earned more than $300 in gift cards (Amazon, Starbucks, Southwest!) using SwagBucks for internet searching - and you can too! It's FREE and EASY!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    There are a lot of jobs in Maryland as KR said, you might try North Carolina as well.  Maryland is close enough to be able to drive back to Pittsburgh when you need to.  If you are looking in PA, it's quite tough to get in, but they are hiring in some places.  Good luck!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In PA, if you are willing to look anywhere, there may be some of the smaller counties where it's easier to get a job.  For example, when I first got out of school, I got a job in Lebanon, PA (about 40-50 mins NE of Harrisburg and about 4-41/2 hours from Pittsburgh).  After a few years, I was able to move back here as I had experience, but was still low enough on the pay scale.  If you're looking in PA, be sure to register on paeducator.net if you haven't already.  Most school districts want that now.  I agree that Pittsburgh, especially, seems to be difficult for elementary unless you sub.  However, subbing can sometimes be a great stepping stone if you impress them.  Good luck to you!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Hi!

I work in northern VA and they are always hiring around here. Look in Prince William, Fairfax, and Loudon county. You could also look in Stafford but they don't pay as much as the others.

I would look on the websites of the counties and look at the schools with openings. E-mail you resume and cover letter directly.

Hope that helps.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited December 2011

My two years of AmeriCorps has been in a smaller county (mercer)  where my parents live.  I was overlooked for two positions at the district after my first year of AmeriCorps.  I have a pa-educator.net and a PAreap account and check them frequently.  I've also applied to the entire state of North Carolina, South Carolina, Gerogia, and West Virginia and various counties around other states.  I've been to the PERC and Slippery Rock Job fairs handed out 75 applications between the two.  Thanks for your advice ladies :)  I greatly appreciate it.

My Bio
    Derp Engagement Photo
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Philadelphia City School District is in a hiring freeze for non-minority teachers (and yes, that is legal for them to do) and unfortunately there aren't many openings in the Philly suburbs right now either.

In New Jersey, most districts are laying off teachers, not hiring.  The one area that has many openings in NJ is for teachers with special-ed certifications.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Apparently MD has become a very popular place for PA teachers seeking jobs.  
  • Options
    AP910AP910 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Wow, SLM, I was just going to post that while visiting us in Philly, FI's brother's girlfriend, also a teacher searching in Pittsburgh, told me that there were tons of jobs in this area. I wonder where! I can't believe that is legal! Is that the charter schools too??
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_pennsylvania-pittsburgh_nwr-teaching-job-search?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:116Discussion:c9a68471-859c-4fa4-bed3-9b7e7bb4d2daPost:b81c47a7-94de-4d96-806a-5ee81c47c7d6">Re: NWR: Help with teaching job search</a>:
    [QUOTE]Wow, SLM, I was just going to post that while visiting us in Philly, FI's brother's girlfriend, also a teacher searching in Pittsburgh, told me that there were tons of jobs in this area. I wonder where! I can't believe that is legal! Is that the charter schools too??
    Posted by AP910[/QUOTE]

<div>I don't know if it's the charter schools as well, but the actual Philly public schools are definitely in the freeze.  Apparently they have quotas that have to be met for percentages of minority teachers in the district and those quotas are falling way short. If you go to the school district's web site, there are actually different job opening description pages depending upon what "group" you fall into.  </div><div>
    </div><div>I don't know how it is legal either, but they haven't been sued so I guess it is (or at least nobody is contesting it yet).  My SIL is a teacher there and complains about the quotas that they have to meet all the time.  But, she has to stay in the city (her husband is a city employee) and doesn't want to commute anywhere, so she sticks with her job even though it's in one of the city's worst schools.</div><div>
    </div><div>
    </div>
  • Options
    concerto47concerto47 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The Pittsburgh teaching market is really rough right now. In addition to PAeducator and PAReap, you might try the Pennsylvania School Board Associaton website. I found several listings on there when I was searching and it's a source I don't think a lot of people use. There's also schoolspring.com, but that tends to be more jobs in the south and out west.

Keep at it--July is notoriously a dead month for posting jobs and hiring. You should see more things open up in the next few weeks as people who got the jobs you missed out on have now vacated their old jobs. I thought I was going to have to sub for sure for a year, and then two weeks before school started I had three job offers. Just keep trying! GL! :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    SLM-  That stinks for your SIL.  I've already filled out an application for Philly, so i guess that explains why I haven't heard from them.

Concerto- Thanks for the advice on the PASBA.  I would have never thought to checkl there! 

Everyone Else-  I greatly apprediate all the advice!  I feel like all I have done is apply for jobs.  I'm still filling out applications as I type. 

Thanks Again!
    My Bio
    Derp Engagement Photo
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011

Just wanted to update you ladies.  I have an interview with Polk County Schools Florida on August 3rd!  Smile 

My Bio
    Derp Engagement Photo
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards