Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

A little shocked

I have a friend from college that I now work with, along with a couple other friends of ours. Our friend, who is getting married this October, invited us to her OWN wedding shower early this summer. I side eyed it but obviously didn't say anything as I did plan on going with a few of the friends we all work with. I brought a gift, she and her fiance opened them, everyone had a nice time.

Fast forward to last week-she gives me a thank you note for the gift and goes along to talk about her wedding and how her last minute planning is going. I spoke to my other friends about having not received an expected wedding invitation and ONE of the girls was invited but three other girls-including me-were not! The invited friend said she received her invite a few weeks before and the bride made no mention of me receiving my invitation or RSVPing. 

Needless to say, I'm hurt that she thought it was okay to invite friends to her shower, accept gifts, then just not invite us! 

Re: A little shocked

• Options
    @cnblake I know the feeling. A  close friend invited me to her engagement party and bridal shower and I know her wedding is coming next month. I know another mutual friend was invited to the wedding because she mention it to thinking I received an invitation as well. It is very rude and I don't understand why people can get away with thinking it's okay.

Live fast, die young. Bad Girls do it well. Suki Zuki.

• Options
    I don't blame you for being shocked and hurt. I'd ask about it, too. itzms gave you some good wording to use.
  • Options
    itzMS Thank you, I like that wording and you are giving me the courage to say something next time I see her. But it seems I have no reason to be embarrassed for asking anyway.
  • Options
    Wow how terrible! I like the working to. I would definitely say something and if she doesn't extend the invite "bc they are keeping the wedding small and intimate" or some crap I'd ask why then she didn't do the same with her shower.
  • Options
    I hope you come back and update us.  I do have a suspicion here that she didn't forget your invitation, but I'm also kinda cranky pants today.
  • Options
    Let us know what happens!
    Anniversary
    now with ~* INCREASED SASSINESS *~
  • Options
    I agree with @kmmssg - I'd like an update too! 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Can't be sure this is relevant, but is there maybe a slight chance you were invited, but somehow didn't get the invitation in the mail?  Maybe there is a way to get someone to check on that so you don't have to ask too directly. 

I only mention this because I've just personally realized that over TWELVE invitations on my list were not received!! I was so horrified!  I didn't call those people right away after the RSVP date because it was kinda soon, you know, and I didn't want to be pushy, and I wanted to wait until the actual last minute I needed to get my headcounts, and blah blah... So here I was just babbling on about my wedding and several of my friends were thinking they had somehow missed out until finally I decided to start making those 'hey, just wanted to check on that rsvp, no worries, know you're busy...", and found out that they hadn't even received the invite.  Such a bummer. 

Maybe that's not the case for you, so that's really awful, and I wish you the best of luck smoothing things over with your friend.  But, maybe, the invites are in the mail?  Just maybe.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I would use itzMS's wording and ask.  It's rude of her to host her own shower in the first place, and outrageous to do that and not invite everyone she invited to the shower to the wedding.  I also find it unlikely that 3 of the 4 of you had your invites lost in the mail (if the other girls had gotten them and you hadn't I'd suspect a post office fail), but please update us if you talk to her!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards