Pennsylvania-Pittsburgh
Options

I need a Philly opinion!

I need an opinion from the girls that are familiar with Philly.  I am having my bachelorette party there (its a long story) and I am looking for a bar that would be a good place to go but is something kind of different.  We looked into Jolly's the dueling piano bar but they are having a private event that night and can't guarentee us seating.  But I'd like to do something along those lines thats fun and not just binge drinking.  We are having my shower in Harrisburg earlier that day (not sure exactly what time, where or the details b/c they want to surprise me).  Then we are going to Philly for dinner somewhere nice (also open to suggestions like good BYOBs), out for the night.  Then on Sunday we are going to do manis/pedis and see Sex and the City 2.  A couple of my BMs live in the Philly area but we haven't come up with much so far.  So any help you can give me would be great!
Thanks!

Re: I need a Philly opinion!

• Options
    gmc22gmc22 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Oh man... I'm not big on the 'going out' scene so I don't know all of the options available... When my friends and I have gone out, we have gone to fun bars in the Manayunk area, or downtown Philly to upscale restaurant bars for a glass of wine and talking... I'll talk to my besst friend (who lives in the city) to see what she might recommend! I'll get back to you on this one!
  • Options
    phillychica85phillychica85 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Philly has a lot of BYOB places.
    Some of my favorites:
    -Lolita, awesome Mexican food. It's actually BYOtequila lol but a really neat concept. It's def. not your Don Pablo's kind of Mexican fare. In center city
    -Vientiane Cafe, Laotian food. Similar in cuisine to Vietnamese if you like that kind of food. Located more in the University City area. That's cash only I believe
    -Copper Bistro, American fusionish. In Northern Liberties area which has changed so much over last 10 years and has a great restaurant/bar selection too!
    -Apamate, Spanish style tapas & a few regular entree selections. You bring the wine, they make the sangria. Also in center city and cash only as we found out the hard way last time!

Non byob places (and even more my favorites)
    -Cuba Libre (Cuban, Olde City)
    -Los Catrines Tequilas (Mexican, Center City)
    -Buddakan (Asian fusion, olde city)/ Bar is neat too
    -Pod (Asian, awesome decor, University City). Went to there for my 21st, fun!
    -Continental (Americanish, in style of a "diner", great martini bar)
    -Amada (Spanish tapas, love love love, Olde City, down street from Buddakan)

Philly's restuarant scene is really fabulous and I don't think you can go wrong!

I'll try to think of some entertainment venues, you could always look into seeing a concert or play? I'd recommend maybe checking out the Philly Fun Guide to see if there's anything going on that night that would be of interest to you. When I come into visit I usually hit up the restaurants! I'm planning on going to Philly for my b. party and am just planning on going out and doing a nice dinner and then sampling a drink from my many many favorite spots.

HTH
    My travel and cooking blog

Maui, November 2011
  • Options
    kime31kime31 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for all the suggestions!  What are some of your favorite spots for drinks?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Fav. spots for drinks-
    -Amada (I'm not sure if you like tapas or not, but at least here you can sit down and have a tapas or two as opposed to having to stand and mingle at a bar. Plus they have a selection of cocktails named after Pedro Almdovar films which for me the Spanish/foreign language films nerd, is really cool!
    -Continental
    -I didn't mention this one before but Tangerine is also really cool to drink at (Mediterranean & Moroccan style). Awesome decor, just like Buddakan (they're both Stephen Star restaurants)

The ones I mentioned above are all in Olde City/Society Hill section so within a couple of blocks of each other. I think Pod is a fantastic spot to drink at, the interior is so eclectic. Def. check out their website to see what I mean. That's actually in University City area (Penn & Drexel). But you could always start there and make your way into the city?

I love the drinks at Cuba Libre but their bar area is small and it's always busy so it's not the greatest spot to go to just get a drink at...

Maui, November 2011
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    This is neither food food nor drinks, but Capogiro on south 13th street (center city) has incredible gelato! They have your traditional flavors but they're known for some real outlandish ones. I love to get (when they have it) mexican chocolate spcied with chiles, chipotle and cinnamon. Sounds crazy but it's good!

I didn't mention this one before but XIX restaurant is a really neat spot. It's located in the Park Hyatt-Bellvue hotel. It's known for its view of the city, on the 19th? floor I think. The only thing is I don't know if the bar offers the same view as the restaurant. I was only there for dinner, but fun spot as well. More "upscale" feel.

Maui, November 2011
  • Options
    LaFemmeRousseLaFemmeRousse member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    **butting in**

This post makes me want to come to Philadelphia for dinner sometime soon ;)

Pittsburgh sig: Favorite thing about fall= college football!
    Vacation
  • Options
    kime31kime31 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You are awesome with your great suggestions!! Sorry I haven't responded I had to go to the doctors real quickly.  The gelatos sound good too!  Thanks again!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Kime-No problem! Happy to help. Hope that you have a fabulous time. You'll def. have to tell me all the places you end up dining and drinking at :)

Jen- Ha ha. I wish I could go back at least once a week and eat at some of the places. Pittsburgh has some cool restaurants but I still think Philly's restaurant scene is better (of course no bias there! ) lol. Although the biggest strike against Pittsburgh is that there's no Cuban restaurant here! What I would do for some Cuban food sometimes :)

Maui, November 2011
  • Options
    LaFemmeRousseLaFemmeRousse member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Mmmm, my favorite Cuban I've had is in Providence, RI, but a place I ate this past weekend in Portland is a close second now.  Love it!  Why doesn't Pittsburgh have one??  Tell Big Burrito to add it to their lineup :)

Pittsburgh sig: Favorite thing about fall= college football!
    Vacation
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_pennsylvania-pittsburgh_need-philly-opinion?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:116Discussion:cd05e31d-7c72-4e99-8a84-6d871b160f0bPost:adfe503b-7f33-40d5-9a58-1b4917128c9d">Re: I need a Philly opinion!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Mmmm, my favorite Cuban I've had is in Providence, RI, but a place I ate this past weekend in Portland is a close second now.  Love it!  Why doesn't Pittsburgh have one??  Tell Big Burrito to add it to their lineup :)
    Posted by LaFemmeRousse[/QUOTE]

Ha Ha-I wish they would! I'd be their best patron. I know some people in PGH consider Kaya to be Cuban food, but it's so not! When I first came out to PGH there used to be a dive Cuban place downtown in the cultural district but that closed some years back :(  My favs are in Philly and NYC although if I'm ever in Providence or Portland I'll have to seek those out too :)

Maui, November 2011
  • Options
    teacup0618teacup0618 member
    edited December 2011
    you can do one of those spirit of philadelphia cruises. I've never done it but I have heard good things about it!! and its something different then just going to a regular restaraunt/bar/club.
    Photobucket Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    kime31kime31 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Oh thats a good and different idea - I'll look into it!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards