Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Invites & Hotel Accommodations Question

So, the general rule is to send wedding invites out about 2 months before the wedding.  Our wedding is May 30, 2014, so that would be the very end of March/early April.  The hotel accommodation contract states our hotel block reservations end on 4/14/13 to get the group rate for our guests, which would mean that they have about a week or so to book the hotel after they get the invite in the mail. To me, this seems like a very short time frame for booking, so are hotel accommodations usually a word of mouth thing, or is that time frame actually enough time by just including the information in the invite?

**Note** I already send out Save the Dates recently, but those did not include hotel accommodations.  I guess that would have been the easiest solution, but hindsight is 20/20.

Re: Invites & Hotel Accommodations Question

• Options
    I was in this exact situation. We let as many people know by word-of-mouth as possible ahead of time. My thoughts were this...people got a STD, they know when and where the wedding is and have had time to think about whether they would attend and whether they wanted/needed to get a hotel room. So really the only thing they don't know until they get the info is how much it will cost. So they have a week to find out the cost, decide if they want to spend that much, and make a phone call to book the room. I figured a week was plenty of time for that so I stopped worrying about it. 

As far as I know, everyone who needed a room booked one within the deadline without a problem. 

Hope that helped!
  • Options
    ampenick said:
    So, the general rule is to send wedding invites out about 2 months before the wedding.  Our wedding is May 30, 2014, so that would be the very end of March/early April.  The hotel accommodation contract states our hotel block reservations end on 4/14/13 to get the group rate for our guests, which would mean that they have about a week or so to book the hotel after they get the invite in the mail. To me, this seems like a very short time frame for booking, so are hotel accommodations usually a word of mouth thing, or is that time frame actually enough time by just including the information in the invite?

**Note** I already send out Save the Dates recently, but those did not include hotel accommodations.  I guess that would have been the easiest solution, but hindsight is 20/20.
    Put the hotel info on your wedding website. If you want, send a quick email to OOT guests letting them know the info and the deadline.

If you send your invites 2 months out (assuming 3/14) and the deadline is 4/14, guests will have about 3 weeks to book (assuming the invitation takes a week to get there). That's plenty of time. I wouldn't worry about it.
    *********************************************************************************

• Options
    I agree with southernbelle.  Your guests will have plenty of time to decide whether or no they are going to come and if they need a hotel room.  Just make sure to let your guests know when the deadline for the group rate is.  My friend didn't include this information so when I booked my room for her wedding I had to pay full price.  Luckily she was able to work with the hotel when she found out but having the deadline info would have prevented all of it.

• Options
    If she sends out invites 2 months ahead, that's 3/30, not 3/14...assuming invites take some time in the mail it doesn't get there til early April, giving them 2 weeks or less to book.

I'd put the info on the wedding website, and spread by word of mouth as much as possible so guests can make that decision or book elsewhere.
  • Options
    ampenick said:

Put the hotel info on your wedding website. If you want, send a quick email to OOT guests letting them know the info and the deadline.

If you send your invites 2 months out (assuming 3/14) and the deadline is 4/14, guests will have about 3 weeks to book (assuming the invitation takes a week to get there). That's plenty of time. I wouldn't worry about it.
    Send it to your local guests too! I almost always get a hotel room the night of the wedding unless it's in an area where I can easily take a cab home. I'm very rarely able to drive after a wedding, even if it's only a 30 minute drive.

It's why I hate two night minimums so much and picked the first hotel for my room block that didn't require a minimum. Grr.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    If she sends out invites 2 months ahead, that's 3/30, not 3/14...assuming invites take some time in the mail it doesn't get there til early April, giving them 2 weeks or less to book.

I'd put the info on the wedding website, and spread by word of mouth as much as possible so guests can make that decision or book elsewhere.
    2 weeks is still plenty of time for people to make a decision and book the room.

• Options

2 weeks is still plenty of time for people to make a decision and book the room.
    Very true.  I'd still put it out there for people to find though just in case their invite is the one that gets stuck in the mail and doesn't arrive until a month later. (Happened to one of our guests).
  • Options
    I think it's common for blocks to end about two months out, that's what our hotel did. We sent out invites out early (3 months) but we did not do STDs and most of our guests are out of towners. We used our wedding website and our parents to really spread the word before the block closed.
  • Options

I just dealt with this on a wedding we were invited to...we got an invitation, and then called the hotel within one week of receipt of the invitation, and they told us that the block rate had expired!  This was 6 weeks out from the event!  I was livid.

I guess this is different everywhere, but I have two blocks and one expires 2 weeks out and the other 3 weeks out.  I have all of the information on my website, which the guests have the address for on the save the dates.  So in theory, they could always book before the invitations even arrive.  But we are having about 80% OOT guests, so the hotels are really important...we wanted people to have a LOT of time to get in there!

• Options
    I put all of the information on our wedding website as soon as we set up the block with the hotel (though we also had our website info on the STDs). Our block expired a month before the wedding, so no one really had any problems getting their reservations made before that deadline (we posted the deadline on the website as well). 
  • Options

Having 2-3 weeks to book a room is plenty of time - if they know the deadline - especially when they received a STD months prior and had time to decide if they'd be able to attend. The deadline usually spurs people into action knowing that it will save them money.

Our hotel changed management and policies shortly before we sent out invitations and didn't inform us until I called to find out if anyone had reserved on our block yet and couldn't find the original lady we worked with (gone)! So unfortunately I didn't have a deadline system before (just a guarantee minimum), now I do and the invites had already gone out without it. Super frustrating! I've been spreading the word via email, calls, etc. to family/friends. Totally just hijacked the thread with my own issue, sorry 'bout that! :)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards