Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

hotel blocks

Hi all, 

I set up a hotel block at a hotel, and a shuttle service.  Since families are both in the area I didn't make it large.  Filled up way quicker than expected.  So, I found another hotel and set up a 2nd block and another shuttle service.  Booked up again.  Apparently lots of in town guests got rooms so they could use the shuttle we set up (totally fine, love when people are responsible).  

Now people calling us now saying they can't find a room at our hotels, (both hotels are booked solid) and asking where they should go.  In the back of my mind I'm kind of thinking, come on, you're adults, you have internet, figure it out.  Plus, I put 2 other hotels on our website as suggestions, so we could have a few different price points.  But these people love us enough to really want to celebrate with us.  Should we set up yet another block?  I really don't want to add another shuttle service to our budget, but feel I'd need to provide it, since I am doing so for the other hotel blocks.  Thoughts?

Re: hotel blocks

• Options
    Hi all, 

I set up a hotel block at a hotel, and a shuttle service.  Since families are both in the area I didn't make it large.  Filled up way quicker than expected.  So, I found another hotel and set up a 2nd block and another shuttle service.  Booked up again.  Apparently lots of in town guests got rooms so they could use the shuttle we set up (totally fine, love when people are responsible).  

Now people calling us now saying they can't find a room at our hotels, (both hotels are booked solid) and asking where they should go.  In the back of my mind I'm kind of thinking, come on, you're adults, you have internet, figure it out.  Plus, I put 2 other hotels on our website as suggestions, so we could have a few different price points.  But these people love us enough to really want to celebrate with us.  Should we set up yet another block?  I really don't want to add another shuttle service to our budget, but feel I'd need to provide it, since I am doing so for the other hotel blocks.  Thoughts?

That's really weird that both hotels are booked solid. Is it a popular vacation area or holiday weekend?!

I think you've done all you can do.

• Options
    It doesn't take too long to set up a courtesy block - maybe 15 minutes and a couple of signatures. I'd probably do it. Don't worry about another shuttle though. It's not required and probably more hassle for you than it's worth.
    *********************************************************************************

• Options
    I would try to set up one more room block if possible.  If not, I think you have done enough.  You set up two room blocks and also gave other lodging suggestions.  It is not your responsibility to find lodging for all of your guests.  I am with you, they are adults and have most likely found lodging themselves for other things so I don't see this being any different.

• Options
    @itzMS, I live in a state with a big 10 school, and we happened to pick a week where they aren't playing.  Our venue is across the state from the university (and our house) so I didn't expect the craziness to extend so far.  But apparently lots of people are getting married that weekend - no one wants guests glued to the tv during their big day!  It's a little nuts, but that's why they're booking up.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    @itzMS, I live in a state with a big 10 school, and we happened to pick a week where they aren't playing.  Our venue is across the state from the university (and our house) so I didn't expect the craziness to extend so far.  But apparently lots of people are getting married that weekend - no one wants guests glued to the tv during their big day!  It's a little nuts, but that's why they're booking up.
    Big Ten football = life. And no one wants to have to choose between the game and a wedding! Kudos for not making anyone choose =)

I'd set up another block if possible, but not a shuttle. If they didn't plan ahead they can be responsible or take taxis.
    GL!
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• Options
    I would try to set up one more room block if possible.  If not, I think you have done enough.  You set up two room blocks and also gave other lodging suggestions.  It is not your responsibility to find lodging for all of your guests.  I am with you, they are adults and have most likely found lodging themselves for other things so I don't see this being any different.
    Agreed.
  • Options
    I live near a big football town (well, it has changed a bit in the past couple years....feel bad for the local businesses suffering, though not so much for the school itself).   FI had wanted to stay at an area hotel for a night the w/e of his birthday but we had to postpone due to a home game.

I think you've done all you can.  People will figure it out themselves.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

I think you've definitely done enough for your guests so far with two hotel blocks including transportation and alternate options on your wedding website. One thing I'd consider is would guests of the 3rd hotel block understand in advance that there is no shuttle service available from there or back there at the end of the night (when they see other guests boarding shuttles)?

You know your crowd best so if this is a small group you have already communicated with easily then it's probably a non-issue and you can make them fully aware with no confusion. However, if you think it'd result in any confusion then I'd let the situation lie, not book a 3rd block and know you've provided plenty of options.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards