Pennsylvania-Pittsburgh

Vendor Reviews from our 11/5/11 Wedding

I really appreciated everyone's thoughtful reviews so I wanted to take the time to do the same. 

Ceremony and Reception both took place at The Twentieth Century Club - A
I know there were some comments about the clubs possible closure earlier this fall, but from what I know they are turning things around which is great. The atmosphere was amazing, the food delicious and the staff excellent. The TCC gave us the exact feel we were looking for. 

Our Officiant was Larry Goyda from Meaningful Marriages - A +
Guests are still taking about what a great job Larry did  with our ceremony. He took his time incorporating planning the ceremony and the result was amazing! 

DJ - Houserockers DJ - A++
Again a huge win! Jamie is a true professional and provided the music for the ceremony, cocktail hour, and reception. He provided the mics and uplighting that made our space glow! Jamie is a bit more pricey than others I saw but he is well worth the investment and one I did not second guess at ALL!

Flowers - Pete Donati & Sons - A+
We ended up slightly overbudget because my mother added on some additional pieces but Pete and his crew are true professionals. I had confidence in their team to create what I was looking for and they came through. They even called to check in to see if I was satisfied with their set up! That is service! 

Cake - Bethel Bakery - A++
I will admit that at first I did not want to go with BB becasue I heard they were pricey ad I was fearful that they would not fit in our budget. This was heartbreaking because BB is our family's special cake place. I was wrong and their price was comparable to other bakeries. Better yet, we had the cake of our dreams, the owner's sister did our consultation and it was beautiful and tasted amazing. Lesson learned, investigate don't rely on rumors and hype! 

The Dress  - The White Orchid - A
The White Orchid was the only place that we visited and we (my mom and I) found our dream dresses. I loved that it is a locally owned family business. They let us stay well over our appointment and we were there for hours. I had a wonderful experience - unlike many that you hear of when you get the old bait & switch. We also purchased the Mother of the Bride and Bridesmaid dressed there. 

Alterations and Accessories - Clarissa Boutique - A++
I did not have my alterations done at the White Orchid although I have had other gowns for special occasions done there and they did a great job. My mom got a tip on Clarissa and it was well worth it. We had a TEAM working on my dress which needed a few changes. Earldean custom made my veil and I purchased a head piece, earnings and bracelet from Clarissa. Best of yet, they made my grandmother's brooch into a piece I could wear in my hair. You should be able to see it in my profile pic. They also made our ring bearer pillow and we rented the card box from Clarissa. 

Tuxes - Joseph A Bank Mt. Lebo - D
The experience was pretty terrible. They came through in the end but I would not recommend their services. 

Hotel - Holiday Inn University Center Oakland - C-
Booking our block of rooms was easy and they were fine to work with before the wedding. However, you can't check in until 4pm, they treated many of our guests poorly, goofed up my order for the suite, etc. If they were not within walking distance from the TCC we would have gone elsewhere. It is too bad because the hotel is in a great location. 

Photographer - James Campbell - B+ 
It is too soon I guess to see proofs I guess but I will say that James was pleasant and easy to work with. Our engagement session was decent but I suspect that had more to do with us and not James. 

Best of luck to all!! I am happy to answer any questions! 

Re: Vendor Reviews from our 11/5/11 Wedding

• edited December 2011
    I almost forgot - 

Make up by Alexis Maddox of  iAMakeup - A++ 
    https://www.facebook.com/iAMakeupAlexisMaddox She did make up on site for my mother, MOH, Bridesmaid and myself. Excellent job! 

• erbear84erbear84 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Can I ask you how pricey the Twentieth Century Club was?  I know a paraprofessional at a school I work at whose daughter got married this fall at TCC but she had a much, much bigger budget than I could ever have.

I really appreciate the DJ rec!
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • cgyvhucgyvhu member
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Looks like you had a wonderful day! Your pictures in your bio look great, I love teh flowers.  Thanks for the reviews.

erbear - if you tell the board your general budget and number of guests, we can help you find venues that fit.  TCC switched to a different pricing of alcohol recently, which can make it more expensive than before.  But they end up being about $80pp after rental/food/cake/alcohol are all included
  • edited December 2011
    That figure above is just about where I was give or take $10. With that said I had the ceremony and reception there so you pay for the rental of both spaces of $4 per person. I had more appetizers than I really needed but I got caught up in the moment! 

The TCC was much less than some of the similar spaces that I priced in Oakland. So like with everythign wedding related, it all depends on your choices and the size of your wedding. I also selected a dual entree which is not the most expensive on the menu but on the higher side. With anything, extras add up but I do think it is a workable space if you are able to be flexible. I was concerned about the alcohol being by consumption but in the end we only paid a few hundred more than what most places charge per person when the bar is not by consumption. Again, you could really save here if you have a more modest crowd. We could not get my dress bustled so the cocktail hour was more like 90+ minutes! 

We also had our rehearsal dinner at the club and the convenience which was great for everyone! 

I will not say that the TCC is a "bargin" venue so to speak. However, we felt the value for what we spent far exceedd the price and that the price was reasonable based on comparsion venues. Best of luck!  
  • erbear84erbear84 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for the more detailed info!  :)
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards