Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Cheesy or cute?

Our guest list is fairly uneven, so at the church, I wanted to have a sign in a nice frame that said :

"Today, two families become one. Please choose a seat, not a side."

We will still have ushers directing people/handing out programs.

I've tried to stay away from the overtly "Pinterest"-y ideas, but I have seen this done before, and it really speaks to what we want the tone of the wedding to be. Do you think it's redundant or cheesy since we have ushers seating people? Or still a cute idea?  

Re: Cheesy or cute?

• Options
    I think it's cheesy since so many people have already seen it. I also think it's a little bold to think that extended families are becoming one family (since in my family they will probably never meet again), but that's just me. 
  • Options
    A little cheesy. I'd just have your ushers seat people so the sides are even. Done and done.
    *********************************************************************************

• Options
    I agree with PP.  Just have ushers direct people to open seating areas.

• Options
    clovester said:
    Personally I think it's a little cheesy, can't the ushers just tell them to sit wherever they like?

This. We didn't have ushers for many reasons, one being that we wanted guests to sit wherever they'd like to.

Most people don't know which side is the bride/groom anyways.

• Options
    I guess I don't understand why you want to have ushers if there's a sign telling the guests to basically sit wherever.  Is it so that your VIPs (parents, siblings, etc.) can get "the good" seats in the front few rows?  If so, you could instead use reserved signs or ribbons or something around the reserved chairs.
  • Options
    I think it's redundant, if you're also having ushers, and it is a little cheesy, but if you want it, go for it.
    Anniversary

I'm gonna go with 'not my circus, not my monkeys.'
  • Options
    I'm probably going to have a sign like this at my wedding.  We will not be having ushers though, and the way our ceremony is going to have to be set up  there will be about 60 chairs on the groom's side of the aisle and 100 on my side.  Since, my fiancé's side is larger there will not be enough chairs on "his" side to seat everyone.  While most people can probably figure out to just sit on the other side,  I don't want anyone to have to worry about sitting in the proper place or feeling like they have to stand on his side so I'm thinking I'll just have to be a little cheesy.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    I was just at a wedding and I saw this, the wording I think was a little different. I agree with @misssunshine17 somewhat that the wording implies that bride's side and groom's side are becoming one family, ultimately it's nice to say but not always true. That sign could be true for you so good for you! 

But even if it's not when I saw it the wording didn't really mean anything to me past, "Oh, I can sit in the shade." Wedding trends come and go, if you like it in my opinion go with it.

ETA: paragraphs (damn you ipad!)
    -anjo (aka the future mrs miley :)

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Cheesy but harmless.

This is how I feel. Cheesy, but there's no harm in it if you really want to.
  • Options

Our guest list is fairly uneven, so at the church, I wanted to have a sign in a nice frame that said :

"Today, two families become one. Please choose a seat, not a side."

We will still have ushers directing people/handing out programs.

I've tried to stay away from the overtly "Pinterest"-y ideas, but I have seen this done before, and it really speaks to what we want the tone of the wedding to be. Do you think it's redundant or cheesy since we have ushers seating people? Or still a cute idea?  

This is one of the most popular Pinterest wedding ideas.  How about just not telling your guests where to sit?  And if someone is handing out programs and people ask where to sit, have them tell them, "Anywhere you like (except for whatever seats are reserved for VIPs)."

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    mc4dj13mc4dj13 member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    edited September 2013
    It is a cute idea. So what if it is overplayed? It is your wedding and I am sure that not everyone and their mother is on Pinterest. It will get a chuckle out of some people. Not cheesy at all.
  • Options
    Signs in general, unless they just say something like "Smith-Jones wedding" with a generic message, just strike me as unnecessary. 

I guess I just in general find "cuteness" rather off-putting.  There are times when I like it, but not cheesiness.
  • Options
    I see a lot of people feel this is Cheesy.
    I saw these signs on ETSY.com and we bought one- Because our families are coming in from Canada and all over the U.S. I like the idea. I think its cute:)
  • Options
    We're not having ushers, but if I get around to it (last on my to-do/DIY list) I'll make a truncated version of the sign that simply says "pick a seat not a side" 
  • Options
    To be honest, I didn't think people sat on sides anymore. I can't remember the last wedding where it wasn't totally mixed. None of those weddings had any kind of signs either.
  • Options
    Slight threadjack ... Conversely, I can't remember a wedding where people didn't sit on sides. Must be a regional thing. Or a social circles thing.
  • Options

@KeptInStitches I see where you're coming from. Our wedding is pretty traditional in every other sense. But we are talking lopsided as in 270 guests, 40 from grooms side. I would hate to make FI or FILs feel awkward about this on our wedding day.

Also, I think in my case, it truly is 2 families becoming one. Our extended families have gotten together a few times over the last couple of years, and my immediate family has gone to visit his and vice versa on multiple occasions (they live in KY, we are in Chicago). Our families have become really close, and like I said, I think it's the tone we want to set for the wedding.

All, in, all though, I see lots of people think it's cheesy and/or redundant. After weighing multiple opinions, plus the fact that the wedding is 10 days away and I have plenty of other things to worry about, I don't think we'll do it. Thanks for the advice all!

• Options
    Cute, bordering on cheesy.  But super harmless.
  • Options
    Cheesy.  Not everything needs a cutesy sign.
  • Options
    Dislike. Unnecessary. I'll sit where I want anyway.
    imageimageimage

You'll never be subject to a cash bar, gap, potluck wedding, or b-list if you marry a Muppet Overlord.
  • Options
    It may look like you're walking into a Pinterest board, but who cares! your day, your choice. Overall, people probably won't remember the sign, they are there to support you on your wedding day.
  • Options
    If you aren't having ushers, it doesn't hurt to have a sign. With ushers it would be overkill.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards