Attire & Accessories Forum

Altering dress to shoe length and switching to flats/bare feet?

I recently purchased my dress! It is floor length with a train that will have to be bustled. Now I've started to think about the shoes I will wear...

I am fairly new to the world of heels and have really only started wearing heels and high heeled boots within the past two years. I wear them regularly to work and I'm pretty confident in my ability to walk in heels. I also think they are adorable!

However, though I'm confident in my heel walking abilities, I am not confident at all in my heel dancing abilities! To be honest I've always been a barefoot dancer. In high school all the girls would hide their shoes under their coats so they wouldn't get stolen and then just dance barefoot. So did I. And that trend continued in the few weddings I've been to. I even tried to dance in gladiator sandals at a bar/club recently on a slick dance floor and it was awful. I felt like my shoes were sliding everywhere and even though they were strapped on my heels were slipping out the sides! That makes me especially nervous about dancing in heels! I know from snooping on other boards some people think that's gross but whatever I've never been alone in that decision! lol

So now that I'm looking into shoes I think heels are way cuter but worry that if I get my dress hemmed for 3 inch heels it'll be in my way all night if I decide I can't dance in heels.

It seems like a lot of brides do this, though. Any advice or experience in this field? Am I worrying over nothing? Will 3 inches not make a big difference? Should I just opt for flats instead? Did you just practice a lot dancing in heels??

Re: Altering dress to shoe length and switching to flats/bare feet?

• You can buy platform flip flops to change into.  Or, just buy 3 inch heels from a dancing shoe company (i.e. the kind of shoes that ballroom dancers wear--they are specifically made not to slip off).
  • I agree with CrazyCatLady.  I had a pair of 3 inch heels for our ceremony but them purchased 3 inch high wedged flip flops from Victoria Secret.  I had absolutely no issue with my dress length and never once had to hold it up to dance in.

• Bridalshoes.com  has some 3 1/2 in. wedge flip flops on sale right now for $9, but the shipping is $12 for 1 pair. I just bought 5 pairs for my bridesmaids (shipping was only $14 for 5 pair).
  • I went from 2 1/2 inch heels to flas and had to hold up my dress for dancing some and for walking around. It was a little bit of a pain, but I have no regrets. I think the only time it was really a factor was during the line dances.
  • I was hoping to see more about this. I was having the same question!
  • I wear heels pretty frequently.
    However, one thing to consider is that *most* women don't wear heels all day if they plan to stand and move pretty much the entire time. As my stylist pointed out the other day, brides usually don't get to sit down on their wedding day once things get going, except maybe to get a few bites in. You could be in those heels for 6, 8, 10+ hours. I would definitely suggest wedges or a flatter shoe. You'll be so much more comfortable.
  • I got some Kate Spade flats versus heels. They felt fancy, but allowed me to be comfortable.

More than anything, I think my photographers appreciated that I was able to make the "trek" to various locations with ease (the top of a grassy hill, for example). We were able to get some awesome pictures :-)
  • I got shoes with a kitten heel (about 1.5 inches).  The heel is low enough that I am comfortable walking/standing/dancing in them for hours on end, but still gives me a little bit of extra height.  My FI is 6'6" and I'm 5'5", so every little bit helps.

I also plan to wear them around the house to break them in before the wedding and keep some blister block handy. 
  • I had my dress altered for 3.5" heels and switched to ballet flats for dancing. I thought my dress was going to drag alot more than it did -- it really wasn't a problem. I probably would have worn the heels all night, but I was getting over an ankle injury and just didn't have the strength back in my ankle to balance on heels all night long.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards