Wedding Woes

These young whippersnappers and their cell phones ruined my concert experience

Dear Prudence,
I recently attended a wonderful Michael Bublé concert to celebrate my 60th birthday. Since I have some vision problems, we paid considerable money for better seats. I realize that everyone loves their cellphones and the way they can instantly take photos and record events. But what is the etiquette at a live performance? The young woman directly in front of me held her phone up and recorded about half the show. In the dark concert arena her screen was very bright and directly in my line of vision. I assume she felt it was her right to record the show. But what about my right to enjoy the show without her bright light interfering with my view? I didn't say anything because I didn't want to have a confrontation at a fun event, but should I have?

—60 and Steaming

Re: These young whippersnappers and their cell phones ruined my concert experience

• i once asked someone to put their phone away at "avatar" and that movie sucked. use your shriveled up old crone words, people.
  • OMG - I've come close to stabbing people over this.  And then I realize that I never carry anything to stab with for this very reason.  The iPad people ARE THE WORST.
  • I DO NOT understand using an iPad to take pictures at an event...Be it a kids concert or Michael Buble.  W...T...F?
  • We were laughing at the people in Hawaii who brought iPads to the beach or on hikes and the. Used them to take pictures. If you can afford an iPad, you can probably spring for a camera.
  • Exactly, PMeg. 

Using the iPad at home or hell, during a family event (Thanksgiving/Christmas comes to mind) is one thing.  On a hike or at a concert? WTF?  On top of it being obnoxious, isn't it a little cumbersome?

• I was making fun of people using their ipad for a camera when we were at Disney and MIL said it's easier for older to see and that she would totally do it too.  I'm still judging though. 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • You don't have to be old to think that holding your phone in front of someone's face at a concert is grounds for being beaten to death with a cane.
  • I think I'm the only person alive that has never used the video function on their phone. I'll rather relive it in my mind, I guess.
  • You are not alone Nola.  DH did record sound at a Zac Brown Band concert.  Chicken Fried is 6let's favorite song.
  • Has 6let ever heard their 'Sic' 'em on a chicken' song?  He'd probably love that too.  It's utterly ridiculous.
  • I always wonder why people record these things? Are you really going to go back later and watch your dark, crappy video of a concern?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards